Talking tech since 2003

According to an update from Facebook, users are going to see less click-bait on their newsfeed in the future.

If you’re unsure of what click-bait is––though I’d bet you’ve seen it––it’s when a publisher posts a link with a headline that reveals next to nothing about the content, but is worded in such a way as to attract a click.

This one was actually from my own newsfeed.
This one is from my own newsfeed.

In the update, researcher Khalid El-Arini and product specialist Joyce Tang say what we’ve all known and felt for a very long time, no one wants to see click-bait. 80% of people that responded to a survey said they prefer headlines that inform more substantively on the content of the article.  Which just leaves me wondering what the other 20% were thinking. So, accordingly, Facebook is going to work to slim down on the amount of click-bait that appears on everyone’s newsfeed.

In terms of journalistic quality, many have bemoaned the rise of click-bait––and I’m right there with them. If I, for some reason, am baited by click-bait, I leave feeling mentally ill. Why? Because I have a flair for drama. But mainly because they’re not about getting genuine information to people, they’re about fooling advertisers into thinking the website has more traffic than it actually does. And I don’t want to be a part of that.

So how will Facebook determine what is and what is not click-bait? It’s a bit of a subjective issue, but they will be taking into account two major factors:

  1. How much time a users spends on an article after it’s been clicked.
  2. How many people like, share, or comment on a story.

The first seems like a very sound method, but I’m a little wary of the second. I scroll through my newsfeed constantly, but I usually never like, comment, or share stories that I read and genuinely enjoyed. All in all, though, I expect these to both be effective at cleaning up the streets of Facebook, so to speak.

There was no indication of how long-term a project it would be, but here’s to hoping we see some change sooner rather than later.

[Facebook newsroom]


Comments

Sign in or become a BestTechie member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.

Subscribe to BestTechie Plus

You've successfully subscribed to BestTechie
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Great! You've successfully signed up.
Your link has expired
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.