My Project

Man I am so glad I have that J's Racing lip on my car. Believe it or not, it actually creates some pretty good downforce. The roads were wet yesterday and a girl at work hydroplaned off the road and wrecked her Saturn Ion (still driveable I believe) on the same highway I take to work everyday. I was on it the same day going to work going faster than she was (she wrecked doing 45, I was driving the speed limit, 65). Never had a hydroplaning problem with this car. My old car however did have a problem with that. It didn't even have the factory lip it was supposed to have. I had issues in the rain with that car even at 40 (my wreck, though in the rain, was a different situation, aerodynamics played no part). I nearly lost control once doing about 45 and had to slow down to about 30 to keep the car stable on one road.

Maybe I should get a Spoon Sports spoiler to keep it more stable though I don't think it makes near the difference a good lip does. I think It's mostly cosmetic (but dang fine lookin). Maybe even a Civic Type R OEM wing. Really I think I just want a stock DX spoiler just cause the stock CX spoiler is so dull looking.

I meant to take a pic of the new shift boot today forgot, sorry :blush:

Edited by Honda_Boy
  • Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, count me skeptical that a spoiler has any discernible effect at highway speeds, but whatever keeps you shiny-side-up is good, and they look good too.

(Think about how large the spoilers and wings are on race cars, and they have to go 100, 150, 200 miles per hour to create enough downforce to have a major effect. Sprint cars may go slower, but their wings ARE FREAKIN' HUGE, half the size of the entire vehicle ... so ... a lip? I dunno.).

Of course, when I had a sporty coupe I added a front dam and a rear spoiler, so there you are. <_<

Well, If you look at pictures of my car sitting still versus the rolling shots, it's actually lower, but not by much (my springs aren't real stiff).

The Spoon spoiler won't make near the difference the J's lip does but still looks good. The DX spoiler definitely won't make any aerodynamic difference but looks much better than the CX one.

OK, I finally, FINALLY fixed my driver side lock. It didn't work on the outside so anytime I locked my doors, I had to unlock the passenger side, get in, reach across and unlock the driver side door. I then had to get back out, walk around and get in. Well, I put a new E-clip on the lock (which was missing). Cause it was missing, the part that connects the key part to the actual lock kept falling off.

I also fixed my passenger window AGAIN. It popped out of its track. I got it back in its track, replaced a zip tie with a bolt (I found a bag of the exact bolts I needed in my glove box), tightened up some other bolts, and repositioned the window on its mount. It's still a little wonky but that's probably just cause it's old, abused and wore out. I need to get the internals out of another door. What I want to do is get the parts from an EX coupe and convert it to power windows or just get the whole doors and repaint them.

Actually I had my laptop with the PDF of the manual open trying to figure it out for half an hour. I had tried before but the instructions didn't make since. Finally one step, that would had been very useful was in the wrong place. I finally figured that out and got it working.

Wish I had written down and saved some of the more poorly translated manual instructions I've come across over the years. One went something like, "It are to be put side part B to be down to complete."

Say WHAT?

(No doubt there's a website devoted to such things.)

That's the price you often must pay when you are on the cutting edge of technology (which I used to be).

Edited by JDoors
Wish I had written down and saved some of the more poorly translated manual instructions I've come across over the years. One went something like, "It are to be put side part B to be down to complete."

Say WHAT?

(No doubt there's a website devoted to such things.)

That's the price you often must pay when you are on the cutting edge of technology (which I used to be).

AVG Message = "Test cannot be started because it already does not exist."

http://backbytes.computing.co.uk/2007/09/e...-entialism.html

• 2 weeks later...

I finally sourced my Back-Up light problem. They would randomly work then recently they just went out completely. I found the plug to them on the transmission and the wire was broken. I wound up breakin another wire but after messing with it for a while I Jerry-rigged in some new wire and taped it up and got it working. I also sourced a leak in my "trunk" area. Int he spare tire compartment, there was a split in the metal in the very back. It was wet back there still so I got some paper towels and cleaned it up. Then I duct taped the living crap out of the hole in the metal. I also got rid of a lot of trash in that was for some reason in there. I also removed the broken, worthless amp and threw it away.

I was bored so I decided to do all this for no real reason. I was originally gonna get someone else to fix the back up lights and I just remembered the hole when I was lookin around in the back for tools.

My mom ordered a part from Password JDM for Christmas but it was sold out and the ETA was supposed to be in April so my mom canceled the order. Well, a package came in today from Password JDM. It was an authentic JDM Red Stitched Leather EK9 Civic Type R shift boot. An OEM J-spec Civic Type R part straight from Honda of Japan. Awesome :thumbsup:

shiftboot001.jpg

shiftboot002.jpg

I'll put it in tomorrow after the rain stops. And to think I had just put in that EJ1 shift boot.

I'm also looking at getting a new shift knob to go with it considering I have my old car's 13 year old Shift knob in it now and it's wore out.

JDM EK9 CTR Titanium Shift knob (used) $75

t_17951_01.jpg

or

Skunk2 Stainless Steel Shift Knob (new) $50

t_17512_01.jpg

They look similar but the the first one is a Real Civic Type R knob. The Skunk2 has their logo etched on to it and it's functional as well (weighted). A Civic Type R owner on EK9.org said he has a Skunk2 in his after his other was stolen. He says he likes it and recommends it so I may go with that one. Up next, a short throw shifter and some other little shift parts for repair to complete the whole shifter setup. Short throw shifters aren't even expensive. I guess I may go with a Skunk2 for that as well. I may go Buddy Club though. We'll see when I get to it.

Also I found a Honda S2000 6-Speed shift knob in my car today. Weird. Oh well, it's worth something. I've seen them go for $90 but mine's a little roughed up so I'm only asking $40.

I see the dilemma, go more original or more functional. I couldn't decide so, no opinion (though I like the "idea" of titanium -- is that the material or just a description of the color? If it's just the color then the stainless has more appeal).

Would it be possible to clean up the "found" shift knob to make it worth more? Say, a going over with fine sandpaper?

It's got some pretty good knicks. I don't think I can really clean it up. Oh and it's Honda. They go big on their Type R's so the Type R knob is made of Titanium (All JDM Type R's have Recaro Seats, hand finished engines, light weight wheels, and a bunch of other exclusives too).

I'm going Skunk2 since the guys over at EK9.org suggested it. They say it's just as good as an OEM EK9 knob if not better.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Oh talk about more frickin awesome luck. First, a JDM CTR Shift boot shows up. Then, I discover an S2000 Shift knob in my car and NOW a guy wants to trade the shift knob for a Carbon Fiber Replica Spoon Spoiler. The one I was wanting............ :mellow:... I think my head is gonna explode. So I'm finally gonna have some nice parts. A CTR Shift boot, a Skunk2 Shift knob and a Replica Spoon spoiler. Awesomeness.

On top of this, I've come across a freakin sweet anime that is one of the funniest I've seen in a while. This season looks pretty good.

And on another note I got an AWESOME reaction out of my brother earlier. He randomly showed up (he had a claim across the street and had to pee :lol:, he's a claims rep) I asked him how much RAM was in his iMac. He said 256MB (can ya believe he mixes audio on this?). I picked up my new mobo with my new RAM in it (still missing a processor <_< ) and told him guess how much it was. He jokingly said a trillion gigs and I said no........ 4 gigs and he had the greatest look and his face and he said "Damn!" It looked like he nearly crapped himself when I said that :lol:

The last 2, absolutely nothing to do with the car but a funny story in there nonetheless.

Don't count your eggs until the spoiler's installed. ;)

My Niece just bought, today (well, yesterday now), a Passat Wolfsburg Edition -- Nice, real nice. She was shopping around for a while and that wasn't even on her radar, until everything she WAS looking at got ruled out for various reasons. Another car not on her radar was the Cadillac CTS but she fell in love with one and came --><-- that close to buying one that was a "steal" (close to half-price!). The dealer didn't want her trade-in (a Mitsubishi Spyder), so she walked just minutes before signing.

Well,, I'm using the S2000 knob until the Skunk2 one gets here. My Old one is too long to fit with the new boot on. I like the S2000 knob cause of it's shape, weight, and feel but that 6-speed pattern screwed it up. If it had a 5-speed pattern, I would have just used it. I haven't gotten a response yet from the guy that wants to trade but I may get a new set of headlights off another guy. I may even get a new silver grille from him too. I'll get it painted with the hatch (and maybe the front bumper) and put it on later.

Well, I got a response. This weekend I'll be trading the S2000 knob for a Replica Spoon Spoiler and I'll be dropping $95 on a pair of DIY blacked out headlights and a Vogue Silver Metallic grille.

Headlights and grille will be coming off this car.

211_1105-2-2.jpg

As the poor thing sits now. He's rebuilding with a crap ton of new stuff and a new engine.

DSC06110.jpg

This guy is also friends with my car's previous owner. The previous owner also happens to the bass player in a Grammy nominated band (Paramore).

Oh my friend you haven't seen what people do to these things. Even a old man like yourself we called Santa at the IA Fall meet had a fully blown Civic Si (04-05) that he converted to the Euro-R spec and then some. People take these things seriously. Working on Hondas and Nissans (and to a lesser extent Toyotas) like this is VERY common. People put some serious work, time, and cash into building the engines and making these things look nice. I mean wire tucks, engine swaps, building/rebuilding the engine, taking them to machine shops, porting, hand polishing the head, respraying the body, full suspension setups, light weight racing wheels, JDM goodies, you name it. People put more work into these things than Camaros and Mustangs. But that's what's awesome about them. YOu can have the pride of saying what my friend's sticker in his window says "Built not Bought". Some people will drop $35000+ on a "fast" car from the factory but then you have people that put in the time and effort into a Honda while only spending $4000 for the car and $4000 on mods and get a vehicle that looks spectacular an performs just as well as the expensive bought car.

I'd take an built SR20DET swapped Nissan 240SX over Corvette any day.