My Project

I need to take new pics now. My car is on new springs and sitting higher. I honestly think it looked much better on the old ones but it rides much nicer on the new ones. When I get the cash I put it on some Mugen coil overs.

I have saved this car from Hell. SO many problems with this car that me and my brother are fixing. The oil pan is missing like 3 or 4 bolts and the drain plug isn't the right one but we can't seem to find the right one cause it seems it doesn't have the original B16A2 oil pan. A ton of riced out crap in the interior pitched and replaced with unmodified OEM parts. Ripped up and burnt up seats replaced with perfect ones. Fake CF mirrors replaced with OEM ones. The hatch is getting replaced soon. Eventually the hood will too. We are also getting new side skirts. We are gonna try and put the windshield washers from my 95 on it. So many things were low in this thing. The car has been bottomed out cause the the tail pipe is flat in one spot. It's most certainly been wrecked. The bumper used to red. My brother was under my car earlier and said "this thing's been wrecked". Well i had already figured that but now it's been confirmed. Wow this thing is gonna be one hellacious project but I'm determined to turn this heap into a shining speedster. I need a new job ASAP. I'm goin to NAPA and O'Reily's when I can.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a chore. I don't understand people ricing out vehicles.

The oil pan is missing like 3 or 4 bolts and the drain plug isn't the right one but we can't seem to find the right one cause it seems it doesn't have the original B16A2 oil pan

LOL!

How many things did the previous owner fix with duct tape??? :D

... I need a new job ASAP. I'm goin to NAPA and O'Reily's when I can.

Looks like you need a job at Honda or a parts store, just think of the benefits. ;)

I've had my Explorer for five years or so and I still haven't gotten up the nerve to crawl underneath to check out how much, if any, damage is there from what looks like a previous accident (lots of tiny clues to indicate one). What I don't know can't hurt me! :lol:

Probably cause it's gonna take too long to save up the cash for the full SiR conversion, I'm just gonna buy the SiR fenders for now cause my car seriously needs new fenders. It's only $170 for the fenders and sidemarkers and it's nearly $1000 for the whole kit plus $350 shipping. I can use the stock bumper for now since it is in ok shape. The fenders will have to wait for paint. I'll also need a new hood so then I could just paint the entire front end and be done with it. God this car needs a load. Hey it's better than not having a car at all at least. I still wish I could have gotten that 97 EX Coupe though. It was bone stock perfect shape power everything. God we should have called as soon as we found it. Oh well as long as I keep this motor in good shape, I can just find a new shell to transplant it into if I ever see the need.

Edited by Honda_Boy

the biggest problems with this vehicle is vanity. Appearance. The motor runs good but I need to either tap in a potentiometer to fake a FTP signal or get an OBD1 ECU to fix the check engine light. It's looking for a non-existent Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. No hatchback had them. Only certain years of certain trim levels had them and that included the 99-00 Si that this motor, trans, and ECU came out of. It'll be alright though. I'm going to focus my money into fixing the oil pan issue and the trans leak. I got a seal with a small leak that's easily fixable (by a mechanic) in my transmission. Nothing serious. Other than those minor things, the motor and trans are in great shape. If I'm able to find a perfect shape 92-95 hatch shell (no motor) for cheap then I'm lifting the B16 outta my 96 and droppin' it in an EG. Hell If I find a cheap 96-00 hatchback shell for cheap I'll do it in that. I'd hate to abandon my little Midori Green hatch but dammit I'm tired of always having beat up cars that need a load of work. I just want a half-way decent looking 92-95 coupe or hatch or a 96-00 hatch. If I get into a decent amount of money then I'll work on this one big time but if a cheap great condition shell rolls my way then I'm getting it.

Here's the big thing you have to take in consideration. This is one frickin awesome FREE car. I paid $0 to buy this thing and have only put $300 in parts in it out of my own pocket. All I've bought is the hatch, mirrors, taillights, interior trim pieces and, and "trunk" platform. My dad after dropping $3500 to start with has put an additional $500 in it for a new intake, springs, and seats.

Great, just great. My clutch is royally screwed. It's gonna be over $500 in parts alone to fix if the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced and my guess is yes. God, I just wanna kick that little retard right square in the crotch for messing this car up and then his dad for not telling us about some of the crap that was wrong with it. I bout have a mind to track those jackasses down (they were moving at the time) and demand my dad's frickin money back and give them this headache back (probably at gun point). I'll buy me a damn 91 Integra GS for $1500 and get to work on it. Damn it. I shoulda bought that damn 92 Prelude Si. Screw VTEC. I coulda probably done a head swap on the block and given it VTEC. Bakka, BAKKA. (japanese for idiot, moron, stupid, etc.) I knew right then and there looking at this car the first time I shouldn't get it. Something in my head was saying don't get this pile of crap. I shoulda listened. I wonder if Darrel Waltrip Honda still has the black 95 Coupe EX manual.

I WANT MY F***ING COUPE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god do I ever want it back.

screw the B16, I want my D16Z6 Coupe back.

One thing I learned when I first started investing in the stock market is sometimes you just have to cut your losses and get out of a mistake no matter how much it hurts.

Maybe it's time to cut your losses, kick your self in the ass, and buy a Ford :D

Really though. IMO replace the clutch, then don't put any more money into the car. Then when it finally dies.... buy a Ford :blink:

Or for the ultimate stresst reliever take a sledge hammer to it. Not profitable but extremley fun :thumbsup:

Ok I'm pissed off right now so I'm liable to say mean things, use foul language, or e-holler at some people but my ass will never find it's way in the driver's seat of any ford unless it's my friend's 67 mustang 289, which is also a pile of crap that needs too much work. Lets take a step further I ain't drivin any domestic. Particularly no transversely mounted 4 cylinder. Hell, if a frickin good condition 240SX rolls my way then I'm chanign my name Nismo boy or something. Maybe an older turbo Celica or MR2 and be TRD Boy. Anything made by Honda, Nissan, or Toyota that ain't this pile. Sign me up for a 91-93 accord. Geez. This car is pissing me off on so many levels right now. So many people said "yeah that car sure is worth $3500, what a deal". Like hell it is. I feel ripped off. Even with this motor. I can't afford to keep this POS on the road. My older much higher mileage car had less engine trouble. In fact my old car almost 0 engine trouble. I think the retard that had this thing before was drag racing it HARD.

There vented. I'm going to wash my hands now for all the bad words I've been typing and wash out my mouth too cause you know I've been cussing and hollering since my clutch screwed up. It's still driveable but 1st gear is jumpy and it really hates 2nd now. The clutch is sluggish. It doesn't seem to want to engage too well it feels slow. Once in gear clutch engaged no trouble it drives fine but I do a lot of city driving and it is annoying.

Edited by Honda_Boy

My previous car had many nice things about it, I enjoyed owning it every day. But every month or so something serious would be found that had to be repaired. I figured paying for repairs was no worse than paying a monthly payment on a new car, so I kept bringing it in to the shop.

One of those times I got a call from the shop, "It's time to give up." He was making money on me but even he didn't want to put any more into this car. I sold it and got a small loan for a car that has had, in five years (knock wood) only a few minor problems, all easily and cheaply resolved (oops, except for the A.C., I bought the car in winter so I didn't know it wasn't working).

Do you want to keep putting money into this car forever?

I don't feel so bad now. I paid $550 for a '88 GMC Sierra SL 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with the towing package. It has the 4.3 liter V-6 with Turbo 400 transmission and 3.42 geared 10 bolt posi. She runs like a champ and gets 16/22 m.p.g. I have invested $750 in it so far to make it mechanically sound and safe. I replaced the complete brake system and put in 4 heavy duty shocks. I got a deal on 4 matching M/S tires mounted on 6 inch rims. Body wise all I need to do is replace the front fenders ($120), both doors ($130), both rocker pans ($50) and the drivers side box patch panel ($130). I happen to have some very nice blue metallic paint from a previous project that will do the whole truck.

The truck is straight and never been wrecked. Surprisingly for that year the frame is solid.

The previous owner had a complete tuneup, new exhaust from mainfold back, new 32 gal. gas tank with fuel pump and lines, wiper motor, water pump and other odds and ends done to it just before I bought it. It came with a Duraliner box insert and tonneau cover.

I am eyeballing a 500 cu. in. caddy to drop in it next year. I need to contemplate if I what to adapt a Pontiac 4-speed to the engine or stick with a Turbo 400.

OK, I'm not quite so pissed at the car now rather than the dips*** previous owner. With my description my mechanic thinks I popped a spring in my clutch. The flywheel should be fine but maybe not. Right now I'm just looking at a new clutch. Exedy Stage 1 clutch to be exact. If'n I have the money I may just slap a lightweight flywheel in for the hell of it. I may just cheap out though and go to NAPA and get an OEM clutch. I'd rather spend the cash on a good Exedy or something. I've been told Clutchmaster is good but expensive. I don't care either way cause guess what broke. A Clutchmaster. Looks like I'm hanging on to this thing a while and I may end up completing the project.

Nothing like a Queensrÿche concert to cheer me up. Not only did the Operation: Mindcrime part of the show rock out loud but they made up for the sucky ending of Operation: Mindcrime II by playing an encore. 2 of my brother's and my favorite songs. Empire and Jet City Woman. We were screaming and hollering more during them 2 songs than the entire show. Mostly cause we weren't expecting Empire but we were sure hoping for it.

Thank god the car still drives or else I'd be up a creek. It just ain't fun at the moment. In fact I get pissed when driving cause it acts like it don't wanna go in 1st and 2nd.

Wow, normally my netiquette keeps me from cussing like crazy on the internet but doggone it I'm more frustrated than an Amish electrician right now. I'm feeling better about my car now but I still miss my Coupe. I wish the front could just be magically fixed so I could yank the B16 outta the hatch and drop it in the coupe. It's not that I like coupes more it's just I loved that particular car........... A LOT. Heck if were a hatch it woulda been the same way. Which I do kinda want a hatch in that body style.

Anyway I'm up way too late. The concert has just gotten me so pumped that I couldn't sleep right. Can ya believe it. 18 years on this planet and this is my first real concert. I did go to see a Prairie Home Companion at the same place (The Rymen Auditorium, ya know where the Grand Ole Opry started) and they had short performances by BR549 and Allison Krauss. Of course I don't like Country (yet I love Bluegrass) so it wasn't anything to me hardly. seeing the Ryche was way better.

Well next on my to do list is an Exedy Stage 1 clutch. After that I think I'm just gonna put the new hatch on red. I'll wait about painting it since the clutch is gonna eat up all my money ($307 plus shipping from Jegs then the labor cost of having it installed). Eventually I'll order a new set of fenders for this thing then a new front bumper and hood will follow up.

Up next, is my clutch. The disc is in the red box. I didn't feel like taking it out. Check out the free hat! Perfect fit too.

excedyclutch.jpg

Jeg's + FedEx = Awesomeness. I ordered this 16 pound booger Monday. They RULE.

Well I attempted to put the new hatch on myself today since I'm off from work. No go. I couldn't figure it out. I can remove the old and attach the new one but the wiring for everything I can't figure out. There's no master plug to everything. My taillights have one master plug that you unplug that unplugs everything. My brother cut the wires to the new hatch when he removed it and I can't seem to find them. they must've fallen into the hatch and I can't get them out. I figured since there is no master plug I might as well try cutting my old hatch's wires and and attach the wires that way but since I can't find the wires to the new hatch I can't do that either. It seems the only I can pull this off is to pull ALL the wire out of the old hatch and insert into the new one but that was gonna be way too hard for me. I'm just gonna find a pro to do this for me. Either that or try to find an easier way to pull this off.

I picked one heck of a project didn't I?

* oh I didn't tell ya'll my old clutch got worse. It's almost not even drivable. If I give it too much gas (which is way too easy) the trans disengages. I have to drive it like an old person to keep it rolling. So I'm leaving it parked until I my appointment with my mechanic.

What sucks more is my dad's transmission in his 98 Tacoma 2WD 5-Spd broke. A cog in 5th gear broke and causing noise while driving and caused more damage after that. Guess who was driving when it happened..........me. God I'm having some extremely bad luck. At least we have a 96 Buick LeSabre for the time being so both my parents can have a car until the truck gets fixed (which is getting fixed a lot faster than my car. I have to wait until Wednesday to even take it while the Tacoma will be rolling again Monday).

Edited by Honda_Boy

If you have or get a thin, stiff wire, bend a hook in the end, slip it into whatever hole you think the hatch wires should be in, twist the wire and hope the hook grabs the hatch wires -- then pull out the hook and hopefully the hatch wires will be entangled on the hook.

Some junkyards'll let you trade the hatch you have for another, hopefully fully wired, one.

What's with all the clutches going out? You DO know how to drive a stick, don't you? :lol:

I can drive a manual fine and dandy but apparently I'm bad luck for them.

I've got an idea on how to wire the hatch. First I'll remove the wire from the new hatch. Then I'll just run a rope through the new hatch and pull the wire out of the old hatch (still attached to the car). I'll switch the hatches out and tie the the rope the the wire and pull it through. I think I'll post pictures of what I do so ya'll can see it.

I hope dad will be OK in my car today. He drove it to work so he can drive it to the Mechanic's later. First off he works across town (only 15 minutes) but the mechanic is 30 minutes away. He seemed to be able to move it fine but I'm sure his teeth are gonna rattle with as much as that car chatters on take off. :lol:

I coulda driven the 96 Buick LeSabre to school today but I absolutely refuse to drive that thing. Not cause it's embarrassing or anything (which it really is) but rather I don't feel safe driving it. I'm used to driving sub-compacts with short front ends and tight turning radius and compact trucks, not cars with a 5 yard hood. Plus automatics just bug the heck out of me. I have try hard to keep my left foot away from any pedals. One time my manager asked me to move his Cherokee and I started it fine and put it in gear and moved it up to the back door but naturally my left foot was on the end of that ridiculously wide brake pedal and I pushed down like a clutch and SCCCREEEEEEEETTCCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He came running out and asked what happened. I said "I forget I'm the only one here that drives a manual." :mellow: I've gotten the hang of his Corsica though. I've had to drive it more than once. I still hate automatics though. They just don't respond the way I want them to.

Broken Engine Mount.

Crap.

With the way my mom described it, it sounds like that was what was causing the chattering but I think she misheard. I believe the chattering is what broke it. I kinda doubt a broken engine mount will cause the transmission to disengage when pushing on the gas too much. Then again if that really is all that's wrong SWEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!!!. An engine mount is only like $5-15 with a not too hefty install cost. Send that clutch back to Jeg's. But I highly doubt it. I'm still 90% sure it needs a new clutch.

The broken mount absolutely could be the cause of your problem. The shifter is mounted to the body, the transmission to the frame. The engine and transmission rock and move on flexible mounts, however the shifter does not move with it. Hence as the engine moves TOO far due to a broken mount, it can seriously effect the shift mechanism. The engine can also contact the body and other mechanicals in places it's not supposed to, causing all kinds of sounds.

I think you've found your problem.

It's not too hard to do it yourself either.

Edited by JDoors

by chatter I don't mean sound though. I mean the car shakes the living crap out of you. But busted motor mount could be it huh. If that's all. HELL YEAH! No new clutch needed. Return that bad boy or sell it on eBay. I was almost sure it was the clutch cause my brother drove it to see and even my dad drove it and said it was symptoms of a bad clutch. Described it to the Mechanic and he said bad clutch. But if the engine mount is the problem then Christmas is gonna rock. For everyone else at least. My dad's truck still needed a $2100 transmission and clutch though.

*BUT WAIT!!! the cltuch still doesn't move correctly. It's too slow letting out and doesn't fell right. Maybe the clutch and the mount are screwed.

Edited by Honda_Boy