Anyone Having Any Trouble With New Google 4 Toolbar?

I had this piece of Google toolbar garbage automatically download and change a well laid out working good previous version Google toolbar today.

Anyone know how to get the Microsoft search toolbar...I used to have it when we first got the computer but it disappeared. I can't remember why at the moment.Even that has to be better than this one. Or I am open to suggestions...I want a fairly good one, like Google used to be. I occasionally use Clusty but don't want it as main searcher.

This is the short list of what I know and hate so far....I am sure it will only be a longer one before I uninstall the stupid piece of garbage and find another search engine toolbar to replace it with...if it will uninstall without more problems...!!!

It looks awful (colors buttons menus etc all look awful!) scrunched up and overlapping itself in the corner of top IE bar where the other one fit fine, it has garbage buttons and items in drop down menus even after I tried to customize it to get rid of garbage. It has a small print light colored font when you type in a search item. It brings up all sorts of stupid suggestions that get in the way. It crashed my IE address bar, along with desktop site shortcuts and favorites shortcuts early this afternoon but finally found one favorite that worked and the others now work but am scared of it happening again. Google actual search with printed items on left overlaping the ads big time because they didn't program the stupid piece of garbage to allow for IE to use largest size print. Oh did I mention no where did I ever see it would auto upgrade before all this happened..and I even had to do own manual upgrade a few months ago for now forgotten reason. I hate things that auto update upgrade whatever on their own!!! My F-Secure warned me after the fact that it was doing this upgrade which makes me mad at them too!!! Oh if anyone has Adaware SE...there may be a conflict according to one thread. Link at bottom.

I was checking things out about the new toolbar, and found a Google groups forum of people who are mad as hornets with all the problems with this thing. Some tried uninstalling it and installing old one but the auto upgrade still changed it on them. So that doesn't appear to be an answer. Will try it though to see for sure.

Google new toolbar conflict with Adaware SE

Google groups Somethings Broken threads

More Google groups new toolbar thread complaints

On one bunch of threads...the somethings broken one I think it was...there are about 150 of threads. Not many have any Google people giving any real help or response. Yet it is there site. This has been going on for over a month it seems. Some of the problems are pretty severe, crashing IE, killing shortcuts to sites, and favorite links...but some big time headaches for corporations with doing something to F12 button and many other things. And yet this far from ready for prime time toolbar is being downloaded onto unsuspectiong people...unreal how stupid the Google people are to not stop further downloads until they fix the problems.

So here is my warning/complaint about the latest Google toolbar that I used and liked older versions of for years. I am angry about this thing so hopefully this all makes sense.

Anyone else having any trouble with it? I sure hope it gets fixed soon, at least before I get rid of it and get something else, because I doubt I'll trust them ever again.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

I was really surprised that Google didn't give us an option on the upgrade. To date, I have not had any problems what so ever with the new tool bar. I'm not really crazy about the changes, but chalk it up to old age and resistance to change. I turned off most all the buttons as I like to keep things pretty plain vanilla on my PC. I have run Adaware-SE and have had no problems, which again may be attributed to the simple layout I have. You may want to remove the tool bar and wait to see if Google hears the complaints and makes some changes.

Thanks for the warning. Sounds almost as bad as the Yahoo toolbar, which is the only tool bar I ever had, and that was just for a short time, because I forgot to uncheck "the" box when downloading something else I wanted. :(

If you REALLY want BAD, download Itunes 7.

I've been fighting with it for two days now.

I was really surprised that Google didn't give us an option on the upgrade.

Doesn't surprise me, they never do. All of their software auto-updates on its own. It's actually something that has bugged me about them for a while. In fact, in the chatroom I had a whole discussion with Pierce about this. I can see where they want to make it easy for people who can't operate a computer as well as others, but they really should give an option to disable auto-updates. And then, you'll get people saying well, what if by accident the option becomes enabled for some reason or another and the user doesn't know to update? Yeah.. it's a really controversial topic IMO. I personally like to control what happens on my computer .. if programs update themselves automatically...and do everything without your OK, then a) its no longer a PC it's just a C as in computer. There's nothing personal about it. And its in a way some sort of spyware.

Also might want to read this article ... I got it from Pierce:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/03/go...pping_software/

BTW, don't get me wrong I love Google.

B

this may help

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/enterprise/admin_guide.html

it tells you how to set it up, and disable the things you don't like. we use the enterprise version, the normal one may be diffrent

or you can always

Go to Program Files folder in Explorer, right-click on the Google

*folder*, and select Properties. Click on the Security tab.

There are two columns which say Allow and Deny.

On the line which says Write, check the Deny box.

UN-check the box at the bottom which says Allow Inheritable

Permissions. You'll be prompted with a dialog which says Copy, Remove,

or Cancel. Click on Remove.

On the line for "Read & Execute", check Allow. Then click on OK.

I've been kind of sidetracked on other things (see my cafe post) though still having trouble getting the new Google to allow me to use my favorites links. I was nervous about it last night so didn't log out of BT last night and left the view new post page up so could maybe click in on that and that worked out ok today that way to get here. Just tried a favorites link and it was a page cannot be displayed same as many did yesterday, but IE hasn't locked up on me yet today. I can Google the same item in Google search box and it brings up it's many annoying suggestions, and can click on right one in search page and go to the site... but not from favorites or desktop site links...strange!!! This thing is going to be uninstalled off of here soon!!! I wont put up with such a pile of garbage much longer...just don't have time or patience to even deal with such a crappy program, but even dealing with uninstall it is more than I am ready for right now if it gives me more trouble doing that.

I miss the old easy to use no problems Google toolbar. What kind of idiots did they hire to do this new one.... they should be fired for wrecking a good search toolbar and causing so much trouble....!!!

Thanks for the comments, suggestions (iccaros sorry but I haven't a clue of what your directions meant in 'Go to Program files folder in EXplorer'...I am on Windows 2000 maybe that is why I can't find what you are talking about? I am a computer ignoramus most of the time!!! and a nervous willey the rest of the time...Ha!) So I think I will probably just uninstall this GT thing and hope it hasn't destroyed my IE!!!

Jeff that was sure a scary link you had about the eavesdropping microphone thing by Google to do ads. Yikes..will it pick up my coffee slurping, celery chomping, and my less than godly language when Google messes up my computer etc...! Maybe would send ads for coffee shops or organic grocery stores, or a computer fixit shop? That article was like something out of a B-grade scary scifi movie, or the 1984 book only not this wouldn't be big brother but businesses spying on us. Yikes!!!

Yes I have set the bare minimum of things on this via options, but lots of garbage still left on that isn't removable. Grrr!

Here is the link to the help/support/setup info Google page.

Google toolbar support

No mention in trouble shooting of all the various problems lately. I don't really think Google cares whether it fouls things up or not.

By the way it also has some comments and complaints on the firefox side too. Just saw this link by accident while looking for something else over there.

Google Toolbar Firefox groups

TT, it didn't hit my startup menu yet, or maybe it is hidden there?

My F-Secure had a problem with it after the fact of download, but seems to be coexisting now ok. I hope!!!

I am just so nervous that it won't let me use my favorites links or my desktop site links...maybe it will also cause future trouble with IE address bar too, though it works ok now if I type in the web addy I want but who knows how deep this thing is hooked into IE???

Sorry I am probably overreacting to these problems it has caused so far. Lots of stress in life right now, I'd really rather not have to deal with this garbage Google toolbar thing, but I know I'll have too soon. Sigh!!!

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Pat

God bless everyone

Personally, I don't use ANY 3rd party toolbars ever!

I prefer my screen as uncluttered as possible, and if I wish to search Google for something, I simply hit Google in my Links and get it that way.

I don't want someone deciding what my browser interface should look like, that's my personal preferrence not theirs, and judging by the comments here and elsewhere I'm certainly not missing anything (except headaches I guess).

I never figured out what folks see in these things anyway, I mean, all the things these t-bars do for you are merely a click away in most browsers anyways, and other useless crud simply isn't needed...like auto-updaters and startup entries...;)

Personally, I don't use ANY 3rd party toolbars ever!

I prefer my screen as uncluttered as possible, and if I wish to search Google for something, I simply hit Google in my Links and get it that way.

I don't want someone deciding what my browser interface should look like, that's my personal preferrence not theirs, and judging by the comments here and elsewhere I'm certainly not missing anything (except headaches I guess).

I never figured out what folks see in these things anyway, I mean, all the things these t-bars do for you are merely a click away in most browsers anyways, and other useless crud simply isn't needed...like auto-updaters and startup entries...;)

I had only used the Google toolbar for blocking popups in IE. Now that IE has it's own popup blocker Google's isn't needed. I rarely use IE anyhow so it was no great loss removng Google. My IE homepage is set to Google and the homepage I created and use in Opera has a Google search box within it.

Thanks for the warning. Sounds almost as bad as the Yahoo toolbar, which is the only tool bar I ever had, and that was just for a short time, because I forgot to uncheck "the" box when downloading something else I wanted. :(

If you REALLY want BAD, download Itunes 7.

I've been fighting with it for two days now.

iTunes 7.0.1 addresses stability and performance issues with Cover Flow, CD importing, iPod syncing, and more. = http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes701.html

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/ = "It's been two weeks since the release of iTunes 7. Since day one, iTunes 7 users have been telling us about all kinds of horrible problems that they've been having. Windows users had an especially hard time getting the software to work properly. Many of them gave up and reverted back to iTunes version 6.0.3. You can read our coverage of user woes here and here."