Who Tips At Sonic?

Sonic Tips  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip the car hop?

• No
    • Yes - Slightly ("keep the change" type tips)
    • Yes - Generously ("Here's a little extra for you")

Just as the subject says, who here tips the car hop at Sonic Drive-Ins?

I usually round up to the next dollar, plus a quarter or two. Maybe more if the car-hop is on skates :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Also, many Sonics now give you the option to pay with debit/credit cards at your car. What do you do for that, since you can't leave a tip on the card?

Just Curious ;)

Edited by Bubba Bob

I always tip generously for good service...nothing for bad service.

before I tip anyone I always ask if they have to share tips..if they share tips I slide the tip in their little apron and we are the only ones who know about it.

I found out there is a sonic here in our area that pays minimum wage and the management gets all the tips.

Edited by bearskin

We have no Sonics around here, but Bearskin, that is an EXCELLENT idea about asking about shared tips!! I'm going to do that from now on, as I'm with you, tip well for great, friendly service, no tip if none is deserved. Thank you!

Liz

There are no sonic's around here either, afaik. I've personally never seen one. However I do like bearskins idea about the tips. As someone who is growing up and learning how society works ... I guess one of things you could say is important to learn is how to tip. Anyone have any suggestions on how much to tip at certain resturants? How do you decide the percentage to give other than by service...? I've never really been to a fancy resturant by myself (always go with my parents). So my main question is how much would you tip at a fancy steakhouse/resturant compared to if you went to the local place with good food and good service?

B

There are no sonic's around here either, afaik. I've personally never seen one. However I do like bearskins idea about the tips. As someone who is growing up and learning how society works ... I guess one of things you could say is important to learn is how to tip. Anyone have any suggestions on how much to tip at certain resturants? How do you decide the percentage to give other than by service...? I've never really been to a fancy resturant by myself (always go with my parents). So my main question is how much would you tip at a fancy steakhouse/resturant compared to if you went to the local place with good food and good service?

B

seems like I remember the going rate is 15%.

if the wife and I go to a local for eggs and bacon I usually leave 2 bucks.

if we go for something like steak, salad, potato, and with trimmings I usually leave a fiver.

we don't drink so I don't worry about a bar tip.

EDIT:

Also, many Sonics now give you the option to pay with debit/credit cards at your car. What do you do for that, since you can't leave a tip on the card?

Just Curious ;)

there are four sonics here, two have the pull ins and two are drivethrough only. ive also thought about tipping with the cardreader, but you cant. when i use the card, i usually fork over some loose change to the person who delivers. though, since my sonic card currently has a zero balance because i used it all up, ive been paying in cash lately. i dont normally tip people working the window. just the ones that have to walk the order out to the car.

that being said, have you noticed how snotty the drivethrough people at mcdonalds are? ive about had it with their 'pull forward' crap. i know theres a weight sensor at the window and they get timed for how long the customer sits so they ask people to pull forward and walk your food out to you. i HATE that. none of them here say 'please pull forward.' its "PULL FORWARD" and then they slam the window in your face...

nic

I wouldn't be caught dead there.

But if I ever was, LIKE IF I was having an out of body experience or just too drunk and stupid for being there in the first place, I'd give the server 20% and hope no one saw me.

But that's just me.

I hate corporate resaurants, :pirate:

Edited by irregularjoe

Haven't eaten at a place with carhops so I'm not sure how I'd feel at the time about tipping. Looks like a waitress, works like a waitress, should get tips like a waitress I guess.

The majority of my income is from tips so from experience:

Do not ask about shared tips. If that "private" transaction is discovered they could very well lose their job for "stealing" from the other employees. You're putting them on the spot; should they be honest, should they let you know they can't do that, should they let you believe it's ok but put the tip in the "pot" later, should they go ahead and steal from the other emploees, etc. If they don't like shared tips let 'em find another place that has a different policy.

Management can't legally take their employee's tips. Maybe it's not true that they do and is just a rumor, maybe they have to be turned in for distribution in paychecks so the proper taxes can be deducted and you don't hear about that part.

The "going" rate depends on where you're at and the type of service you're getting (I'd tip a Sonic waitress less than at a four star restaurant for example). For restaurants I've BEEN tipping 15% but have heard in large cities and nicer restaurants, 20% is the going rate. Seems high to me, but I'm a cheapskate for sure.

Regarding the drive through, I refuse to "pull ahead." One time they never brought my food out. I had to go inside. I was grabbing a bite to eat before work and no longer had the time so I asked for my money back. The cashier argued with me and I asked for the manager. It took forever for him to come out of his office, then I had to explain the whole thing again to him. I was furious by then.

So if I ever go through a drive-through, which I rarely do, and if they ask me to pull ahead, I refuse: "No, I'll wait here." If they can't accept that I'll tell them briefly what happened. (Of course I risk getting that "special" treatment of my food, but the food is usually prepared by someone who doesn't know I'm tickin' off the cashier at the moment.)

I tip good service at any type of real restaurant, or cafe, even buffets, with 15 to 20%, usually about 20% due to it's so much easier to figure the math!!! We dont go to fast food chains very often, but no tips when we do as they nearly always have bad service!!!

I thought the carhop type fast food place was long long gone, like so many other good things from the "old days" Glad to know some are still around. I bet that the baby boomers, at least the older ones of us, would welcome them back for nostalgic reasons.

Never thought about what to do to get message across about bad service until my best friend told me she makes sure to have a penny on hand to let them know how she felt about the poor service. Sounds like a good idea to me. Though with some of the servers I have seen, I'm not really sure they are bright enough to get the message.

Another question on this subject...which we haven't run into yet though only a matter of time I guess before it becomes mainstream around here...but what to do about a restaurant check that includes a 20% or higher (I have read about this in fancy places but so far mostly in other cities and never less than 20% tacked on) gratuity in the bill...especially if unnoticed and paid with a credit card? I think that is highway robbery, unless specifically mentioned on menu or in person. So they could rip someone off with the unknown tacked on amount paid for with credit card, plus the cash tip left at table. What a racket!!!

I think I would challenge the management once I found out they had done that to me, and spread the word to stay away from the rip off joint no matter how good the food.

I'm a giver by nature, but would sure hate being taken to cleaners with involuntary gratuity setup!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

I have been a food server most of my adult life. I think for average service 15% is fair, for good service 20%. I tend to tip above 20% for very small checks. For example, I will usually leave $3.00 on a $10.00 check. On exceptional service I usually leave 25%($10 on a $40 check). Being a tipped employee, I really appreciate being tipped well myself. I feel it nessesary to return that to other food servers. I think most waiters EXPECT 20% from other waiters they serve food to.

I have never been to sonics, so I am not sure what I would leave. It would depend on the leval of service they provide.

I tip good service at any type of real restaurant, or cafe, even buffets, with 15 to 20%, usually about 20% due to it's so much easier to figure the math!!! We dont go to fast food chains very often, but no tips when we do as they nearly always have bad service!!!

I thought the carhop type fast food place was long long gone, like so many other good things from the "old days" Glad to know some are still around. I bet that the baby boomers, at least the older ones of us, would welcome them back for nostalgic reasons.

Never thought about what to do to get message across about bad service until my best friend told me she makes sure to have a penny on hand to let them know how she felt about the poor service. Sounds like a good idea to me. Though with some of the servers I have seen, I'm not really sure they are bright enough to get the message.

Another question on this subject...which we haven't run into yet though only a matter of time I guess before it becomes mainstream around here...but what to do about a restaurant check that includes a 20% or higher (I have read about this in fancy places but so far mostly in other cities and never less than 20% tacked on) gratuity in the bill...especially if unnoticed and paid with a credit card? I think that is highway robbery, unless specifically mentioned on menu or in person. So they could rip someone off with the unknown tacked on amount paid for with credit card, plus the cash tip left at table. What a racket!!!

I think I would challenge the management once I found out they had done that to me, and spread the word to stay away from the rip off joint no matter how good the food.

I'm a giver by nature, but would sure hate being taken to cleaners with involuntary gratuity setup!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

pat...here in se oklahoma we have carhops on roller skates at sonic

and we still have a drive in theatre which is very popular.

I admire anyone that can bring me food on roller skates. Im sure if I every tried I wouldn't make it out the door. I wonder if Sonic encourages their car hops to wear skates somehow?

^^ Wow, A drive in theater. Don't see those anymore.

Edited by Bubba Bob
... Another question on this subject...which we haven't run into yet though only a matter of time I guess before it becomes mainstream around here...but what to do about a restaurant check that includes a 20% or higher (I have read about this in fancy places but so far mostly in other cities and never less than 20% tacked on) gratuity in the bill...especially if unnoticed and paid with a credit card? ...

Well I can say it's not done to rip anyone off. It's meant to eliminate all the confusion over who gets what -- Just go ahead and put the gratuity on the bill and be done with it. Among other reasons. Of course it SHOULD be posted somewhere (I've seen it on menus). If you went ahead and tipped in addition to the gratuity charge ... I dunno what I'd do. It'd have to be a large amount for me to be bothered getting a charge-back on my card, and I'm cheap.

The OL likes Sonic's Tuesday special (buy one get one free) and about the second time I went she asked to come rather than have me bring them home.

When the carhop gave me my change and turned around before I could tip, my OL hit me and said I should tip at least 20% and made me go and chase her down to give her a few bucks.

Personally, I just did not want the OL to think I was flirting by giving a hot young carhop a big tip for a four burgers.

But since the OL was a waitress when we met; she appreciates that where tipping is allowed, it is often a major portion of the waitstaffs projected income. In fact, often their "salary" is just used so there is something to withold income tax from and these are calculated based on their sales and an average expected tip percentage.

As a side note, many Pizza and restaurant delivery guys likewise rely on tips. They do not get compensated for their gas and in many cases the high price of gas has not been met with a commensurate increase in tips and they have been quitting in droves since they can no longer make a living. So when ordering delivery ask if they pay for the drivers gas and tip accordingly.

I may be wrong, but don't Sonic car hops recieve (atleast) minimum wage, not server's minimum wage?

Pete, how's the new location for the "1st Saturday Sale" working out? I hope to check it out next weekend. I hope it has more parking space then the old location.

Edited by Bubba Bob