My main thought is yoou want to get a dual core cpu. Dell was advertising an xps with dual core for $629, i am sure you could really soup it up for $250 more dollars.

edit added later//

I think that promotion has ender. Now the least expensive xps I see is $1200. at $629(shipped), that was a steal.

Edited by shanenin

Keep searching at Dell---there is a section on their webpage titled "newspaper ads, tv ads, online ads" Sometimes "presumably expired deals" are in that section! (that's how I found my new idiotbox, it wasn't "clearly" advertised) I know nothing about laptops, otherwise I'd look for you....

Liz

personally i wouldn't go with dell...i would go with sony ...vaios r preety good...i would also consider toshiba laptops

Dell's have gotten better in the laptop area - better than they used to be at least. They're using better parts and materials. (And yes, I know about the battery incident, even still) As for Sony Vaio's I personally feel they are over priced. I'd agree with the Toshiba suggestion though. I bought a toshiba laptop a few years ago and it's still rock solid. Highly recommend Toshiba.

B

personally i wouldn't go with dell...i would go with sony ...vaios r preety good...i would also consider toshiba laptops

Dell's have gotten better in the laptop area - better than they used to be at least. They're using better parts and materials. (And yes, I know about the battery incident, even still) As for Sony Vaio's I personally feel they are over priced. I'd agree with the Toshiba suggestion though. I bought a toshiba laptop a few years ago and it's still rock solid. Highly recommend Toshiba.

B

i know vaios r a little over priced but you will always get a good quality laptop from them..and sony also has very good customer support over the phone..again if i were to choose..if i had a budget..i would go for a toshiba

A great score for an X fiance' at WalMart $699, unreal the price, a Compaq 2818 a 14"

very lite weight and a sweetheart, wishing it were mine.

Past 2 years using a heavy desktop replacement (called) 17" Toshiba P25-s507

So impressed with the Compaq, look at the specs on Google.

Brillant screen, comes with 1 gig of memory, DVD dual layer burner and WiFi works perfect.

More fun than the cat on my laptop.

A quick war drive, the battery after 4 hours was reading 35% left, so only a

guess, perhaps good for 6 hours with its mobile M 1.8 CPU. AMD X64

Actually out performs this $2,200 Toshiba lappy.

Such a deal and remember WalMarts return policy, dynomite haha

Was thinking about ebay used, no thanks, a full warranty is highly recommended,

think about it, a DVD replacement cost me $150 shipped, a refurb keyboard $55.

Replaced the power jack myself, a major teardown even for me, guess a tech shop

would charge beyond $125, so think clearly about the warranty, oh when buying it,

an extended 3 year service plan offered at $68, ah 3 years, no worries mate.

Marsh

Edited by marsh_0x