Set Up Internet Share On Earthlink

ok here's the deal, i want to set up internet share between 2 computers on a DSL line, but Earthlink has something where it knows which computer is currently using the internet and they want you to pay extra to let you share the connection to multiple computers at the same time. i've tried to look up more info especially from others with the same problem but i have yet to find anything on google that can help.

any ideas of how i can get around this without hacking? or anywhere that i might be able to find more information about or others dealing with this.

i was thinking of using an IP share device like you can buy at the store.

i thought that i must just be missing something cause i'm using a Linsys EZXSS5W router and no matter what i tried i just can't get internet sharing to work. so i assumed that the earthlink firmware in the DSL modem must be checking the MAC address or hardware id or something. but after even more googling i just found out that paticular router might not support internet sharing which i find very strange and i didn't know until just now.

do you have the router set to use it as a dhcp server?

edit added later//

I think you are correct, you have a switch, not a router, so it is not able to act as a dhcp server(needed to share internet). My limited knowledge of networking makes me think you are unable to do that with the equipment you have. You need a router that can do NAT.

edit added later//

you can use your wondows computer to share internet. I think you would just need to install a second ethernet card.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Edited by shanenin

I have Earthlink and use a Linksys wireless router and have 3 hardwired and 2 laptops and have had no problems. Sometimes they are ALL on at the same time. Little slower when they are all going. If just a couple of them are on, I can't hardly tell the difference.

well i was at the indoor fleamarket and came accross a D-Link DI-604 Router for $5. which is a really awsome deal and iv'e got the whole thing up and running now. 1 of the very few computer areas i have little expoerience with is metworking and i could not figure out why i couldn't IP share or even use a cloned Mac Address. turns out that my paticular router won't IP share and freaks out with a cloned Mac Address. ohhhh well, i'm up and runnding now, both my Mac and Pc are sharing the net nice and peacefull like and i'm even thinking of tossing my linux box on there too. besides i need to teach myself some linux networking anyways.

but that's ok cause now i'm cruising at light speed down the information super highway, rideing in my hot blue neon iPod with itunes blasting music out the exhaust and i'm groovin to Weird Al's White & Nerdy . typing a mille a minute in chat wiht 1 hand and playing WOW with the other and munchin with a mouth full of cheetos and sipping my Mountain Dew from my eurgonomical hat dispencer. hey being elite is hard consuming work and no one can touch me for i have the Ashebringer sword and i'll crit you noob!