Your Itunes Alternative

I just bought an ipod 30 gig video and I need something besides itunes so I could sync it. Itunes lags my computer and i just dont like how it works. does anyone have any recomendations? price is not an issue.

List your iTunes issues. Maybe I can help.

It is by far the best software for the iPod.

Joe

I just bought an ipod 30 gig video and I need something besides itunes so I could sync it. Itunes lags my computer and i just dont like how it works. does anyone have any recomendations? price is not an issue.

Joe

Well, when its adding new songs, its painfully slow as opposed to media monkey which I use. When itunes is open, all my other applications such a firefox, aol instant messenger slow to a crawl. When I drag the itunes window it also lags. When I alternate, say if I want to view my music files it takes a while to load all the songs, even though they have been added already. just stuff like that cause my system to slow down. Im using a Celeron 2.4GHZ, 640MB of memory and an nvidia FX5200 video card. And all systems processes that are not needed are not running.

Ya, the release of iTunes 7 is a huge memory hog. They should be fixing this in the updated releases. The update may help, it may not. But Apple is so proprietary, they make it difficult to use other media players. However, it is possible (with disk use, you can just drag 'n' drop I believe).

sorry, I looked, there are a lot for Linux like Banchee, rythembox, gtkpod ect.. but for windows I find you can buy differnt programs.

I do have copy pod to backup my Ipod and it acts like a music player but its $20, but Itunes only backs ups the songs or stuff you buy, not the others and since I don't rip Cd's to leave on the computer just my ipod I needed backup software..

I agree with some of what's been said. I personally think iTunes is the best way to go for transfering music to your iPod. However, the new iTunes 7 is a bit resource heavy, I would think Apple will have a patch soon that will fix that. Anyway, there are alternative.. I believe there was one called XPlay that was supposed to be really nice. http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/ <-- not free though. Probably easiest and best to stick with iTunes. B)

B

Joe

I spoke too soon.

I just "upgraded" to iTunes 7 from iTunes 6.

MAJOR MISTAKE!

Read about my iTunes woes here.

I was able to fix it and go back to version 6 after MANY reinstall/ deletes.

My advice is to dump 7 and go back to 6.

Unfortunately the older versions are hard to find.

But I have the .exe files for 6.

If you need them, PM me.

Joe

I spoke too soon.

MAJOR MISTAKE!

If you need them, PM me.

Joe

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itu...forwindows.html

I spoke too soon.

MAJOR MISTAKE!

If you need them, PM me.

Joe

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itu...forwindows.html

Doesn't work.

I saved the itl and xml files, reinstalled them in iTunes 6, and get an error message that says that being that my .itl files are from a "newer version of iHell" (my words not their's) it will not open.

This bull$%&t has been going on for two days now.

I cannot use apple's itunes software.

When I do get itunes to open ocassionally, I am missing all my playlists for 30 + gigs of music and podcasts and audiobooks.

What i get is one big list of 3000 files all listed in a completely irelevent pattern:

1:Beethoven Symphony # 3 movement # 1

2: Moby Dick Audiobook part 1

3: Twit podcast # 285

4: Miles Davis My Funny Valentine

Etc. You get the point.

I even tried to install older versions of the .itl and .xml files into the new iBlows hoping that at least I would have SOME of my music.. NADA!

Now I'm considering one of the third party apps that capture the data on the ipod and transfer it to the computer. (something that the genuises from Cupertino have either never figured out or decided that they did not want people doing.)

That's my only choice.

If it doesn't work I will have to manually sift through 3000 songs.

As a remedy, I will NEVER buy anything from apple again.

iTune store? Stuff it. I'll rip my own mp3's.

Accessories, forget it. I'll buy Belkin.

Mac anything? Yeah right. But the check will bounce.

If you're listening Apple, you have one large groups of very pi$$ed off people waiting for answers.

iSuck reviews

Itunes 7 is 100 times worse than WinME ever was. And that was an operating system, not a jukebox.

A complete disaster.

Edited by irregularjoe