New Breakthrough!

It's finally coming to fruition, Laser processor chips!

Intel announced it has successfully designed computer chips that combine lasers and metal wires, into silicon based chips that can move data at "Light speeds". Thousands of tiny lasers on these chips will make ultr-fast computing possible and very cheap in the next decade. Moore's law of doubling processor speeds every 2 years, which has been in serious decline recently, will now easily be realized again with this technology.

Traditional data speed bottlenecks will disappear and home computers will soon rival the SuperComputers of today, within the next 6 to 10 years. This is going to be really cool folks!!

Intel Press Release

Personally, I can't wait till I get my first 22.4GHz machine in 2013, but I'll probably still be ticked off when they announce the new 34.9GHz chip the next week...;). But after a few more months, and the announcements of 5 more faster chips on the market, I'll be already pricing out my new 86.4GHz model parts, so it won't matter much anymore!!

Seriously again, this new tech will definately be a big deal folks! This has been a kind of "Holy Grail" for chipmakers for some time now, and finally a process to marry the chip layers successfully has been developed, and the experts are anticipating super-fast chips for much less $$$ than we pay today.

Optical CPUs are one of my favorite perpetual CPU Technologies of the Future. Very futurey without being too weird.

Someone needs to propose distributed massively-parallel ternary spintronic gallium arsenide quantum processors with high-level language support.

Sorry chappy, my processor of the future is better than your 32GHz processor, 5x faster!

Maybe so, but I'll have mine in around 6 - 10 years, while you'll be waiting considerably longer than that for yours to arrive...!!

This tech is right around the corner now that they have silicon based laser chips. That's been the big killer for some time, that they couldn't do it on silicon until they found a way to get around the "2 photon absorption" principle, which Intel has just done.

jcl

Thats the thing, this is done without those rare exotic (and therefore expensive) materials, and done with Silicon. This can be done now with today's manufacturing plants and materials and therefore can be done very cheaply.

jcl

Thats the thing, this is done without those rare exotic (and therefore expensive) materials, and done with Silicon. This can be done now with today's manufacturing plants and materials and therefore can be done very cheaply.

It's still in the R&D stage. We might get a spiffy optical system bus in the next decade but I'm not holding my breath. Backward compatibility and all. Heck, Intel still hasn't managed to get CSI out the door.

Photonic CPUs are a pipe-dream. The "photonic processor" Intel and UCSB are working on uses the photonic components for I/O and standard CMOS logic for computation; the lasers give you tremendous I/O throughput (and, perhaps more importantly, cut costs) but don't affect processing throughput except insofar as it's I/O-bound.

Edited by jcl

I remember i watched one of the movie about a boy who surf the net to get the info about Gettyburg then the plug for the internet disconnected, so he pick up the plug and trying to plug back in but the lightning hit the cord and zapping the guy mind with load of info directly from the internet, then he get all smarty on anything. what is the name of that movie?

*macmarauder sticks eyeball infront of 1 of the lasar beams hopeing to absorb the internet more directly

"Do not look into laser with remaining eye"

LOL :lol: Now you can really talk like a pirate, mac, and wear the eye patch to boot.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR, matey:-)

This new technology sounds amazing.