Missing Plugins On Tagworld.com

I’ll have to load up Ubuntu , as I don't use it and write a step by step, I will lay bets that Hitest beats me..

But simply synaptic is a gui version of apt, so you add repos to a file and then you run synaptic, hit the update button and then put a checkmark against programs you want installed or updated.

and sorry for the boy/girl mixup, with your last icon I though MyCal was religious, like archangel type... and when your not sure...

Edited by iccaros

cant he use synaptic to do this??

Yep. Also, he can go into his synaptic preferences and add repos like universe and multiverse which will have more software.

And how do I do this?.. As you all know I have no idea unless you tell me step by step. and Oh..BTW.. I'm a girl.. it's pronounced My-Kal..lol

Oops, sorry for the name mix-up. :blush:

To open up synaptic click on Desktop---------->Administration---------------->Synaptic Package Manager

You'll be asked for your root password.

When Synaptic launches click on Settings------->Repositories.

Find the multiverse and universe repositories and click +Add. Then update Synaptic with Reload. You should now have access to more software:-)

did this get fixed, buy the loosk of things we have a courrupt repositories list..

anyone.. I don't have ubuntu so I am behind on comming up witha how to fix

did this get fixed, buy the loosk of things we have a courrupt repositories list..

anyone.. I don't have ubuntu so I am behind on comming up witha how to fix

I got errors when I tried to get the repositories. Shoot!! :(

Edited by Mychal007

can you do a

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

and post the output..

it may be large so you can capture it to a file with

cat /etc/apt/sources.list >> ~/Destop/list_output.txt

there would be a new file called list_output.txt o nyour desktop that would contain the output of the command

we saw a list of faild repositories, so I ask for you to list them, I really am grasping as I just loaded up gentoo from a live cd, it stated I need a plug macromedia and it download and installed it for me.

but In firefox I did an about:plugins

this list all plugins

if you can list those also we may find the missing plug in.

Ok.. I typed in what you said and everything else is enabled except for this one:

Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so

The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

It says MIME Type or something like that.

Edited by Mychal007

ok, I am lost,

which plugins were listed?

The following plugins were listed:

RealNetworks Rhapsody Player Engine (Enabled)

Shockwave Flash (Enabled)

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible (Enabled)

Adobe Reader 7.0 (Enabled)

Default Plugin (Not Enabled)

File name: libnullplugin.so

The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_05-b05 (Enabled)

ok, I'm strait now. you are missing the wind32codex and the mplayer plug in. you have some bad repositories in your repo list.

see http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_...ra_repositories

to edit your repositories commenting the ones that faild prior.

then

How to install Multimedia Player (Mplayer) with plug-in for Mozilla Firefox

* Read #General Notes

* Read #How to add extra repositories

sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer

for win32codex Hitest can answer..

• 5 weeks later...

I'm back. I followed the link that was given to me http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_...ra_repositories. However, when I got to the Synaptic Package Manager box, I received this error messege. So what I'd like to know now is where do I go from here?

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://koti.mbnet.fi breezy/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/koti.mbnet.fi_%7eots_ubuntu_breezy_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://theli.free.fr ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/theli.free.fr_packages_breezy_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Edited by Mychal007

I can not reproduce the same error on the site you listed but I did on some others, this what I did.

I downloaded this

http://www.adobe.com/go/fp9_update_b1_installer_linuxplugin

its a gzip file so

gunzip <filename>

it will create a directory the same as the name of the file FLASH-something

cd to that folder

there is a read.me file and a .so file.

copy the .so file to

~/.netscape/plugins

and to

~/.mozilla/plugins

then restart your firefox and see if it works..

Iccaros sorry to pop in here, but I think I see the problems already. She is not using the standard Ubuntu Repos.

I think when she went to close out automatix she hit cancel instead of ok and kept the sources list from automatix which uses different repos.

@Mychal007,

I have attached a file to this post, download this file to your desktop.

This will overwrite your current sources.list file to the correct one to use for Ubuntu Breezy Badger, which it seems you are running. If you are using Dapper Drake or Warty Warthog, don't use this. but let me know so I can get you the correct sources.list file. Then in terminal do the following:

sudo su

type your password

This will put you in superuser mode, aka Root.

next type the following in Terminal in the order presented.

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources_backup.list
cp ~desktop/sources.list.tar.gz /etc/apt/sources.list.tar.gz
tar -zxvf /etc/apt/sources.list.tar.gz
exit
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer w32codecs

When a repository in this list has a GPG key, you may need to add that to the APT trusted keys. You can do this with the following commands (replace KEY with the key ID)

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY
gpg --export --armor KEY | sudo apt-key add -

sources.list.tar.gz