Dsl Or Direcway Sattelite ?

I'm on Direcway Sattelite and just found out that DSL (via Bell South) will be available in Dec/Jan.

I have a pretty big investment in my equip but the monthly chg. is 59.00. Bell DSL would be half that and the install equip is free after rebate.

I've had a lot of prob. with Direcway, but none the past few month's.

What do you'll think ??????

P.s. I'm about a 1/4 mi. off the hwy. , would the phone line attenuate the signal to much ?

jimmy

Since I have no experience with Satellite ISPs, what speeds are you getting now?...that would probably be a deciding regardless of price (well, for me anyway)

how far are you from the bellsouth central office?...anything past 15 miles is usually a lower speed....I'm within the 15 miles of verizon's CO and get 1.5Mb for $34 a month...I'm very happy with that price for the service...and seldom a problem in 3 years

currently i have Verizon DSL, and frankly, i'm sick of it. i was getting "up to" 1.5Mbps, now i'm lucky to get "up to" 1.0Mbps!!

i am seriously thinking of going to cable, much,much faster speeds (up to 3.0Mbps), for a few dollars more thatn DSL.

i never had satelite, (internet), guess i'm "lucky" enough to have either cable or DSL available to me in my area.

Hi jimmy.

Wish I could be more helpful,all anyone can do is relate their own experience's and those will surely be different than yours will be.

The reason I ask if you game or not is because of the lag time from here to the satellite and back down.

Is there someone you know that has the same cable provider in your area that you can talk to??

If there is then ask them what they think about the service and what the connection is like,slow/fast.

Do you think you have gotten your money's worth from the satellite company??

If not then perhaps a change is due.

OH! yes , I've gotten my money's worth. I was on dial-up for a long time and it really limited what you have acess to. In fact I still keep a dial-up acc. for emerg. backup and other thing's.

We've set-up a home LAN and that let all of us have a lot of freedom. Without Broadband that would be a mess. My machine is Host so it's on 24/7. That part limit's the experiminting I can do, so I have another unit for playing.

Thank's for your interest.

jimmy

P.S. When DSL get's here (late Dec.), i'm going to one of my neighbor's and play a little on thier hook-up .

I would recommend going with dsl over the satelite. with dsl you can still have your lan network set up, I have that right now with 2 wireless computers going at the same time.

With satelite you always have the possibility of dropped connections when a strong storm comes over. so that would be a benefit of going dsl.

Just my 2 cents worth good luck on your decision.

My understanding is that upload speeds are lacking on sat. services. I have dsl 4.0mbps down and 400kbps up and i woulldn't change for anything,

pro1driver,

Why don't you go over to dslreports and have them help you tweaj your connection

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3365263~mode=flat

All you need to do is answer the 11 questions in that post then post the answer in a post of your own on thier board.

Edited by Atribune

From everything I've heard from people, DSL is much better than satellite. Satellite there is much more lag (the signal has to go from your computer, to a satellite in space, to the server, back to the satellite and back to your computer) and the download and upload speeds are much slower if i'm not mistakin'. Not to mention, dsl is much, much more cheaper than satellite.

-gimpi