What Is Norton Ghost?

Okayyyyyyy.....I bought a new el-cheapo Dell Celeron idiotbox to replace my computer which Son took to school. After a required restart (Mcafee update) a box came up about Norton Ghost.

There was a little blurb in the paperwork I got that said "use system restore or Norton Ghost" to fix any quirks in the computer.

I know nothing about Norton Ghost and when that box came up, I punched "exit" until I could find out more info about this gadget.

Is it "good and needed"? Is it basically the same as System Restore? Is it "bad"?

This idiotbox has been declared "only for use for webbrowsing, checking email and doing weekend homework", I didn't even order speakers so the kids can't download music on it :thumbsup:

Basically wondering that if this NortonGhost box comes up again if I should install the critter or not. This idiotbox only has 256 gigawatts of Ram and again, it's a Celeron processor, so the less gadgets the better as to not overtax the thing.

Thanks a bunch!!

Liz

Norton ghost creates an Image of your hard drive for back up most people use t when changing hard drives or moving to new computers or soemthing like that. I thought Norton ghost got Replaced though. I personally wouldn't pay it no mind. Since I build my own rigs, nothin like that bugs me on a new computer :P .

I would just rely on System restore. Ghost can be tricky. Did you opt for the Dull recovery CD or does the computer have the recovery partiton? If it has the recovery partition you should have the option to create the CD.

I prefer Acronis True Image over Ghost for imaging hard drives due to it being more user friendly.

I have seen some oem computers that use ghost for its system recovery(recovery cds). This may be the case with your dell(The last computer I saw use ghost was an avetec laptop). As far as I remember, I have not seen dell use it. Maybe it is something new they have started to do.

I have seen some oem computers that use ghost for its system recovery(recovery cds). This may be the case with your dell(The last computer I saw use ghost was an avetec laptop). As far as I remember, I have not seen dell use it. Maybe it is something new they have started to do.

That's a good possibility, Dell teamed up with Symantec and uses Ghost to create the recovery CD. Read the manual Liz on creating the recovery CD. That box regarding Ghost probably regards making the CD which you should do.

This is the info I found for Dell. The model number would help.

DELL now includes back-up Ghost image in Concurrent DOS partition

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1091713

Run the Dellâ„¢ OS Recovery Utility

The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of ONE operating system CD. This means that you can make one Windows® CD for backup purposes.

NOTE: If you have not created your backup CD you should take the time to create the CD and store it in a safe place now.

You will need a blank CD-R disc and a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed on your Dell computer to complete the steps below.

Click the Start button on your Windows desktop.

Click All Programs, Dell Accessories, and then Dell OS Recovery CD.

If you have a portable computer, plug in the AC adapter.

Click the OK button.

The Dell Software License Agreement window appears.

Read the license agreement and then click to select Yes, I accept if you agree to the terms.

Click the Next button.

A Welcome message appears prompting you to place a blank CD-R disc into your writeable drive.

Place a blank CD-R disc into your writeable drive if you have not already done so and click the Next button.

The program will create your backup OS Recovery CD.

NOTE: The program can take up to 30 minutes to create your backup disc.

When the backup disc is complete a Congratulations! message appears.

Remove the CD-R disc from the writeable drive and label it Windows Operating System Backup CD.

Click the Finish button.

Congratulations! You have successfully created your Windows operating system backup CD. Store the CD in a safe and easy to find location.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
What is Norton Ghost?

Definition:

Ghost is a disk cloning program, originally produced by Binary Research, but purchased by Symantec in 1998. The Ghost program originated the market for disk-cloning software. The name Ghost originated as an acronym for "General Hardware-Oriented Software Transfer".

Wow, thanks, y'all!

A little piece of paper packed in with the idiotbox said,

"Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or Drivers CDs. Instead, if you ever need to reinstall your software, use one of the following methods:

System restore (with a description)

Dell PC Restore and Norton Ghost (optional) provide you with advanced restore capabilities"

BUT I was smart and ordered an Operating System CD (well worth the $10!) and a Drivers CD came in the box :thumbsup:

Soooo, I'm thinking I'm "set" without letting Casper :) loose. One possessed computer is enough!

To eliminate that box on start up, I'm assuming go to Add-Remove Programs and remove Norton ghost?

Thanks again

Liz

Wow, thanks, y'all!

A little piece of paper packed in with the idiotbox said,

"Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or Drivers CDs. Instead, if you ever need to reinstall your software, use one of the following methods:

System restore (with a description)

Dell PC Restore and Norton Ghost (optional) provide you with advanced restore capabilities"

BUT I was smart and ordered an Operating System CD (well worth the $10!) and a Drivers CD came in the box :thumbsup:

Soooo, I'm thinking I'm "set" without letting Casper :) loose. One possessed computer is enough!

To eliminate that box on start up, I'm assuming go to Add-Remove Programs and remove Norton ghost?

Thanks again

Liz

I wouldn't remove Ghost through Add/Remove. You may end up with a possessed computer again. Look for an option in the pop-up box to disable the notification. If there isn't any option try Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and see if there is a listing for Ghost in startup, then disable it.

Using the media norton ghost will create will be much easier to reinstall then doing it manually with the XP discs from dell. You may as well let ghost make you a backup copy of your OS(opersting system). It will give you more options in the future for fixing your computer.

Edited by shanenin

I think you should let Ghost make the disks and then it'll shut up....plus you'll have more options if it comes down to needing a reinstall someday.

Good thing you've listened to us over the years and ordered the OS and Drivers CD's Liz!!!

It's ALWAYS best to have the OS disk rather then just recovery disks, no matter what those idjits at Dell say.

Personally, I would rather do a fresh clean reinstall than a recovery anyday, rebuild the file system and everything is nice and clean again....ahhhh.

I agree with TT on not removing Ghost from the system, we don't really know how deep it's tied into things so best to leave it be. But I would make the disks it's pestering you about just in case, and that will stop the popup.