Java, Https, And Web Forms.

I want to write an application to stream line medicaid billing for my girlfriend. The billing is done via a secure website, I assume I could rely on a browser auto-completion but I dont consider this optimal. The site login expires early considering the number of fields required, this leads to lost info and starting over (extremely frustrating). I would like the app to store all fields that dont change (probably in a binary) and allow offline completing of fields that do change (ie: dates and times to be billed for) then connect and send the data.

What Im looking for is, for one, validation that this is even possible and if so some documentation on connecting to https sites and changing data fields (in java5). I've been googling for a couple weeks (my google-fu most be weak lately) and am getting what appear to be info for older JDK's. Any API's or libraries I should be looking at? All information is greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I know for a fact this project is over my head currently, but Im looking for a long term project... I just dont want to start a futile endeavor.

Why not try setting the timeout a bit longer?

I dont have any control over it, the site ends the login session after a period of inactivity (I'll assume around 30 seconds). So, I either remember every value for every field (there are alot) or do it programmaticaly, I also preffer the later as it would allow my girlfriend to do the billing herself and me to do other things.