Steps To Switch To Second-hand Computer?

Got a second-hand computer that's better than the one I have. However, I only got the tower, no cables, no peripherals.

So ... If I plug in all my cables & necessary peripherals & get it running, how do I transfer any files from my now bare older tower? If I boot it up to transfer the files ... umm, do I switch the monitor to the old one to ensure everything's running ... THEN switch the monitor back to the newer system to start transferring files?

Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm senile (uh-hem), but the steps elude me at the moment.

Got a second-hand computer that's better than the one I have. However, I only got the tower, no cables, no peripherals.

So ... If I plug in all my cables & necessary peripherals & get it running, how do I transfer any files from my now bare older tower? If I boot it up to transfer the files ... umm, do I switch the monitor to the old one to ensure everything's running ... THEN switch the monitor back to the newer system to start transferring files?

Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm senile (uh-hem), but the steps elude me at the moment.

Well, I use a KVM switch and connect both to the router when I want to do that. (Although I do have spare keyboards and monitors, I really like using a KVM so I can use my main monitor). Costwise this is fairly effective; especially if you have a reason to use it again.

$19.99 belkin for example]

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0219493

A $12 option

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3525554?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If you check around you could probably find a similar deal locally.

The next option would be to move the hard drive and install it in either a USB enclosure or as a slave in the new PC . This works but if you do not have a USB drive inclosure you can use; the cost is about the same as with a KVM for that option and the other means opening two computers and moving the drive back and forth (not all that difficult but if you forget something simple like moving the jumpers on both drives to the correct position, updating bios settings ,etc) or somehow it gets integrated into the OS as a failed dual boot or you just plain can't get it recognized by the OS on the new computer; well then it takes a very lot of effort.

Edited by Pete_C

Doh! Put the old drive in the newer enclosure. Darn senility.

Also, by an amazing coincidence, I do have not only a USB hard drive enclosure, but the drive in it died recently, so it would be a perfect option.

The switch would be a great idea too, that was sorta the direction I was thinking (though not specifically a "switch"), but I'm going to install the drive, probably into the newer enclosure (another "gift" was a replacement for the dead USB drive, so I get EVERYTHING I wanted!). Thanks all.