I want to learn webdesign. i would first prefer to learn to code by hand before using any program like dreamwaever. Being a novice python programmer, i like the idea of using css. It kind of reminds me of programming syntax.

Here is my question. Is thier any reason i need to use tables? Would it make sence to put all of my energy into using pure css to position all of my stuff?

Here is my question. Is thier any reason i need to use tables? Would it make sence to put all of my energy into using pure css to position all of my stuff?

You don't need to use tables, no. And if you're going to use CSS for layout you probably should put all your energy into it, 'cause it's going to take all your energy to make it work. If worse comes to worse you can reimplement tables with divs.

Actually, there's one exception: if you need to support clients that don't support CSS, it's tables or nothing.

Edited by jcl
And if you're going to use CSS for layout you probably should put all your energy into it, 'cause it's going to take all your energy to make it work.

I am not sue if that was sarcastic. When you say "cause it's going to take all your energy to make it work", does that mean it is hard to do, or futile to do(should use tables instaead)?

I am not sue if that was sarcastic. When you say "cause it's going to take all your energy to make it work", does that mean it is hard to do, or futile to do(should use tables instaead)?

The former. There really isn't any reason to use tables (except for compatibility) but that's not because CSS is easier to use.

Edited by jcl
In another year or so, doubt that their will be many non css compatible browsers being used out there.

Wishful thinking. There a fair number of browsers that can't support CSS for one reason or another and not a few people using older browsers that don't. Heck, CSS1 is ten years old and it still isn't fully implemented by every major browser.

That said, I don't think it's worth worrying those browsers. People using lynx don't expect to see nice formatting, people using screen readers probably aren't going to benefit from tables, and people using NS4 don't deserve nice sites. If you really want to support every client you have to go to client-specific content: serve XHTML+CSS to Firefox, HTML4+CSS to IE, HTML 3.2 to lynx, etc. That's even more fun than it sounds.

Edited by jcl