My New Workbench

Since it may be a year or so before I rent a commercial space to run my computer shop, I built a new workbench in my house. It is large enough to run my workstation, reload three computers, and take one laptop apart simultaneousl(hopefully I will need all the space). It is very tall, I want to be able to work on stuff standing up with out haveing to bend over(hurts my back). If I feel like sitting, I am going to get some high bar stools.

It is strong also. I have both a 2x6 and a 2x8 spanning the distance. You can jump on it and it barely moves.

this is my during contruction picture, it is very blurry

beforeyp5.jpg

this is one picture of it finished

afterxy5.jpg

this is one more at a different angle

after2zr4.jpg

Edited by shanenin
Looking good! Hope it fills up quickly

ya, business is pretty slow, on paper I am just breaking even. Everyone is happy, and I am getting refferals, so long as I don't destroy any laptops trying to open them I will be doing ok. Come January I will have a half page ad in yellowbook. I am pretty sure I should be getting much busier.

Thanks, breaking even is ok. On the plus side, I have built up some inventory: harddrives, dvddrives, modems, powersupplys, and three laptops. They are just used laptops, but I figure I can get about $350 each for them.

HEY! I have that desk. The one on the side. I got mine from wally world but I only have one side platform. Plus I had to duct tape the keyboard platform in place cause it kept falling off the rails. :P

Nice looking workbench. It looks way better than the benchs at my favorite computer shop. He never painted them or nothing.

HEY! I have that desk. The one on the side. I got mine from wally world but I only have one side platform. Plus I had to duct tape the keyboard platform in place cause it kept falling off the rails. :P

thats where I got mine also. I have two of them, so I took the other shelf off it the second one.

Nice stain job on the wood. Most people would have just painted it or left it unfinished ; I really like the look of wood.

I had left over laminate from whaen I did my kitchen remodel. It still looks like real wood :blush:

Is there any way to add drawers?

Hate to see all that space wasted.

How about some slideouts for keyboards?

good suggestions. As to a keyboard, it is already at the perfect height to place it on top of the counter(arms are Parallel with the floor). If I sit on a tall stool, I think my legs would hit drawers. I fully agree, I have lots of wasted space below, i may try and add some shelves.

Edited by shanenin

Need a sofa for the guy who is going nuts trying to figure out why his machine craps out while downloading from kazaa, listening to MusicMatch, when he is editing his kids school pic into a autoplay dvd, and chating on G4. DOH had to throw that in.....lol.

M

Thanks, breaking even is ok. On the plus side, I have built up some inventory: harddrives, dvddrives, modems, powersupplys, and three laptops. They are just used laptops, but I figure I can get about $350 each for them.

What Power Supplies did you pick up?

Is there any way to add drawers?

Hate to see all that space wasted.

How about some slideouts for keyboards?

good suggestions. As to a keyboard, it is already at the perfect height to place it on top of the counter(arms are Parallel with the floor). If I sit on a tall stool, I think my legs would hit drawers. I fully agree, I have lots of wasted space below, i may try and add some shelves.

Build some drawers into 1, or 2, independent cabinets, on wheels, that will fit under the workbench.

Have one set of wheels, on each cabinet, with locks.

Whenever you sit at the bench, pull the cabinets out, which will give you all of the leg room you need, and you still have all of the storage space the drawers provide.

When finished, or just standing, the cabinets go under the bench, filling up some of that "wasted space".

Also, when the cabinets are pulled out, the tops give you a little more counter space, that you can move to where you need (mobile counter tops :)).

Edited by tg1911
Build some drawers into 1, or 2, independent cabinets, on wheels, that will fit under the workbench.

Have one set of wheels, on each cabinet, with locks.

Whenever you sit at the bench, pull the cabinets out, which will give you all of the leg room you need, and you still have all of the storage space the drawers provide.

When finished, or just standing, the cabinets go under the bench, filling up some of that "wasted space".

Also, when the cabinets are pulled out, the tops give you a little more counter space, that you can move to where you need (mobile counter tops :)).

I like that idea. Maybe someday(I procrastinate) I will have some updated pictures.