I've actually had similar problems; DRI has several bugs in the current Xorg release, especially the ATI drivers... A nasty bug was just fixed for the rage128 module that kept it from freeing interrupts (leading to a machine hard lock). It looks like the radeon DRI code has a similar problem, but it isn't fixed yet...

Oh well, I can live without DRI for awhile, especially since I used a dirty hack for the kernel radeonfb module to get it to play nicely with ACPI suspend/resume... 1024x768x16bpp console is MUCH nicer than 80x25 :)

-uberpenguin

I've actually had similar problems; DRI has several bugs in the current Xorg release, especially the ATI drivers... A nasty bug was just fixed for the rage128 module that kept it from freeing interrupts (leading to a machine hard lock). It looks like the radeon DRI code has a similar problem, but it isn't fixed yet...

Oh well, I can live without DRI for awhile, especially since I used a dirty hack for the kernel radeonfb module to get it to play nicely with ACPI suspend/resume... 1024x768x16bpp console is MUCH nicer than 80x25 :)

-uberpenguin

Ack!

Thanks for the heads up, uberpenguin! I was thinking of upgrading to Fedora Core 3 after I do a RAM upgrade on my old unit. Are all ATI cards not recognized or just the Radeon cards?

I've got an older ati card that has served me well on Red Hat 9 and now Mandrake 10.1.

hitest,

It's mostly a DRI issue with the radeon driver. They were having similar issues with the rage128 driver, but it was fixed in an update. If you turn off DRI the problems will stop. Right now I have DRI enabled and only see a problem once in a while, which I can more or less live with.

-uberpenguin

hitest,

It's mostly a DRI issue with the radeon driver. They were having similar issues with the rage128 driver, but it was fixed in an update. If you turn off DRI the problems will stop. Right now I have DRI enabled and only see a problem once in a while, which I can more or less live with.

-uberpenguin

Hi uberpenguin,

Thanks, man! Very much appreciated:-)

later,

hitest

• 2 months later...
It's mostly a DRI issue with the radeon driver.  They were having similar issues with the rage128 driver, but it was fixed in an update.  If you turn off DRI the problems will stop.  Right now I have DRI enabled and only see a problem once in a while, which I can more or less live with.

-uberpenguin

This seems to have been resolved somewhere among the updates.

We have re-enabled dri (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf), and haven't had any freeze-ups.

I believe it may have been in one of the xorg updates, but not sure which.

Perhaps uberpenguin can explain this better.....:)

• 1 month later...
Fedora Core 4 test 1 appears to be doing the same thing on a single machine with the radeon 7000 card......

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is following or interested in Fedora.

I am interested in Fedora, thanks for the tip. :D