Aarp Auto Insurance Savings A Joke.

I just picked up a 1988 GMC Sierra C1500 pickup for $550.00 to use as a winter rat. I decided to test how much I would save as an AARP member on their auto insurance. They quote that you can save around $300-$400 over other companies. For minimum NY coverage they quoted $1000/year and change. I tried Geico and got a quote for $452/year. Who the hell are they kidding? It seems like everything dealing with AARP actually costs you more than buying the same programs locally. I can even get a better prescription plan from my local drugstores than what AARP offers. That is one membership that I will no longer renew. thumbsdown.gif

I'm just at that age where they start coddling up to you and it irks me no end. Due to the "no politics" policy here I'll just say they vigorously promote policies (that are only peripherally connected to aging) that I vehemently disagree with and I will NEVER join.

If I had the resources that I used to have I would write them the same letter I wrote to another group that used to hound me. Essentially I said that every time they contacted me I would donate $1000 to a group opposed to their policies. They never contacted me again. Wish I had the money to back that up now (not that I know it'd work the same way, but at least groups opposed to the AARP's politics would be rewarded).

(I have no problem with them spending member's money on age-related issues.)

Yep they quoted me higher plan than my old insurance plan 6 yrs ago so i canceled my aarp card but they keep sending me a new one every year. I do use it on hotels/motels saves around $4.00 enough for a gallon of gas, lol !!

I guess things are a lot different here in s. e. oklahoma. with AARP we have full coverage on 2 vehicles, a car and a tuck, less than $1,000 a year.

I was with state farm for over 30 years in texas but when I moved to oklahoma they wanted $200 more than AARP.

My wife and I had GEICO at one point and thought we were getting a good deal after supposedly getting the same coverage as our previous carrier. My wife then proceeded to run into a concrete bridge to (I guess) test her coverage , only to find out she had no medical coverage... which we thought we had... but once had with our previous carrier. We've almost paid off the ambulance bill, but her injuries were most likely never attended to properly because of the lack of medical (it's a bear being poor).

My advice: check line upon line, precept upon precept, and KNOW your coverage is as advertised and what you wanted and be not surprised, too late, that something was left out (by accident or insured's error of course).

To my knowledge it is NOT common for auto insurance to cover the policy holder's medical bills. They assume you have medical coverage from elsewhere (and of course some companies would gladly write you a policy in addition to your auto policy). They cover medical for other people that may be involved in an accident, say someone you hit (God forbid) or a passenger not on the same policy, mainly 'cause if they didn't the other person would sue you or your insurance company to pay those bills.

Upon seeing this thread, I became curious and made a few calls to get some quotes for the exact coverage I now have with AAA for $408 per year.

The results:

$624 = Geico

$614 = Nationwide

$472 = AARP

What kind of deductible did they make you take on "sandstorm" damage? How about towing charge to the next oasis?

Upon seeing this thread, I became curious and made a few calls to get some quotes for the exact coverage I now have with AAA for $408 per year.

The results:

$624 = Geico

$614 = Nationwide

$472 = AARP

What kind of deductible did they make you take on "sandstorm" damage? How about towing charge to the next oasis?

I got a great deal. It's includes free 24/7 towing (but there's an extra charge if they have to use more than one camel to pull me out of the sand trap).

My parents got sucked into the AARP thing shortly after my Dad retired--they learned that it wasn't any good. Hubby is now 52 and gets invitations to join and I toss 'em.

As far as hotels go, SOME hotels will give you the AARP discount if you mention it and don't ask for a card. If you're gutsy enough to ask about any discounts, some hotels will give you them whether you have AARP, AAA or not. Daughter works for Ramada and gave me that tip :)

Sultan and Terrorist, try AIG and Liberty. Also Citizens (offered through the "local guy") for quotes. We have AIG (one "kink" is that AIG looks at your credit score, but if that's good, they're really cheap) , but Liberty and Citizens were really close to AIG's prices.

Geiko was almost double what we pay for AIG!

Liz

The results:

$624 = Geico

$614 = Nationwide

$472 = AARP

I got a great deal. It's includes free 24/7 towing (but there's an extra charge if they have to use more than one camel to pull me out of the sand trap).

Haha! GOod one SethHook! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I still haven't found anyone willing to beat USAA....

Tennessee Farm Bureau here. Why? My dad is a Systems Analyst at the headquarters. (According to Cingular he works for Allstate cause they didn't want to lose us to Verizon) It's a little more than a $100 a month for me for Liabiltiy and Comprehensive. You have to take into account I'm 18. Lucky for me my rates are that low. Most other 18 year olds pay more (I actually just pay 70 parents pay the rest).