I just installed vista build 5536 pre rc1 on my laptop. The laptop has a 1.5 celeron m, 768 memory, the onboard graphics is a radeon express 200m (it gets 64 mbs of shared memory). I am pretty amazed with driver support, everything including my wifi and printer were automatically installed. So far I have not noticed any bugs. Aero seems to run well. I am pretty lost, I am not sure where to find stuff.

edit added later//

I deleted my recycle bin, I am not sure how to get it back. I don't remember, is it possible to delete it with windows xp?

edit added//

found this

Edited by shanenin

Very cool. I was thinking about getting it, but just can't force myself to install such an early release. The company for which I work is a Microsoft Partner, so we'll probably be getting the install disk pretty soon, so I MIGHT be tempted to take it for a test drive.

I'd be interested if you have found any more bugs while using it.

Good luck!

I tried to install vista on my desktop. When I used my pci fx5200 I got a blue screen after the full install finished, just as it was drawing my desktop. I replaced that card with an agp fx5200 and it worked fine. That pci fx5200 card works fine on that same hardware when running xp. It seemed to be a problem with vista only. While trying to figure out what caused the blue screen I attempted t install vista with just 256mb of memory. The insalled would just run for a minute before causing a reboot.

• 2 months later...

I have been running rc2 for about a day on my new desktop. I have had ok results. I am going to dual boot with xp just in case I need to get something done. I set my four family members and I all on standard accounts. I then set up one administrator account named root(I am still a linux guy). It works good, everytime I need to install software I get prompted to enter my admin password. You could kind of do that with xp(r-click, run as), but it is not as smooth.

Edited by shanenin

I am trying to talk myself in to liking it, but for now it just is not happening. Vista compared to XP seems so cluttered, bloated and disorganized. After a few weeks, maybe it will grow on me.

edit added later//

the reason i like my linux box is its simplicity. It just runs smooth without any problems, without all of this bloat to distract me.

Edited by shanenin