hi team at last ive installed mandrake 9.1 this time on a stand alone and not with winxp

but ive found the same problem as before it wont auto detect my modem nor my sound card.

i have an isa sound card.and in th startup configuration it asked me if i had an isa card and i checked that box.but it said i need to start. SNDCONFIG.im lost here .

and the modem when i had mandrake on my sys before i had to configure the modem manually.so where do i go to do that .

nearly 2 years since i had it on so my memory isnt as good now as it was then.

besides the compny who sold me the modem helped me to configure the modem.to operate.

but that was only a oncer so i need your help now.

i hope this board can help

marty

hi team at last ive installed mandrake 9.1 this time on a stand alone and not with winxp

but ive found the same problem as before it wont auto detect my modem nor my sound card.

i have an isa sound card.and in th startup configuration it asked me if i had an isa card and i checked that box.but it said i need to start. SNDCONFIG.im lost here .

and the modem when i had mandrake on my sys before i had to configure the modem manually.so where do i go to do that .

nearly 2 years since i had it on so my memory isnt as good now as it was then.

besides the compny who sold me the modem helped me to configure the modem.to operate.

but that was only a oncer so i need your help now.

i hope this board can help

marty

SNDCONFIG is a legacy sound detection utility that should be located on one of your Mandrake CDs. Just fire up your software add/remove program in Mandrake 9.1. Use the search function and look for sndconfig. Once you've found it click install. The program will ask you for one of your install CD ROMs.

Install sndconfig.

Next you'll need to log-on as root. At the command prompt type this: #/usr/sbin/sndconfig

Then hit your enter key on your keyboard. sndconfig will start up and try to locate your sound card. You'll need to know the make and model of your sound card to select the correct card. Good luck.

I kinda have a question but since this would apply to Marty's situation and not mine, I thought I should ask it in his thread.

this is from mandrakesoft's newsletter:

* End of Life Product Support

* Mandrakelinux 9.1 - upgrade to a newer version today!

When they announce the "end of life product support" (for whatever version you're running), are you still able to update?...(security and bugfixes at least?)

When they announce the "end of life product support" (for whatever version you're running), are you still able to update?...(security and bugfixes at least?)

IINM Mandrake follows a 12/18/24 month support schedule. The desktop components are supported for 12 months and the base system for 18 months. Some products are supported for 24 months or more. Given the date, MDK 9.1 is probably now completely unsupported.

What means in practical terms I don't know. It's possible that the system can still be updated -- it's not like rpm stops working after 18 months -- but they probably won't be putting any effort into testing new packages on the older releases. Most likely over time incompatibilities will accumulate and eventually you'll be stuck maintaining the system by hand.

thanks for the responce jcl,

Given the date, MDK 9.1 is probably now completely unsupported.

That's kinda what I figured "end of life product support" meant...wasn't sure though.

I was pretty sure the rpms wouldn't just "go bad" or disappear off the net but wasn't sure if you could still retrieve them via rpmdrake....not that any of this really applies to me but was curious since Marty is reinstalling 9.1....I'm pretty sure Marty is on dial-up and can understand the ordeal of d/loading the latest version but I sure wouldn't wanna be stuck with a version that makes it harder to maintain...not to mention all the improvements that have been made recently in mobility and hardware support.

That's kinda what I figured "end of life product support" meant...wasn't sure though.

Neither was I: I googled until I found an message from MDK explaining their product life cycle and then guessed :)

I'm pretty sure Marty is on dial-up and can understand the ordeal of d/loading the latest version but I sure wouldn't wanna be stuck with a version that makes it harder to maintain...

Yeah. But on the bright side, if he's on dial-up it would be an ordeal to download all the updates too, so in the end it doesn't really matter :)

I think that one is a no brainer, hitest ...lol :D

As you can tell, I'm very happy with it now...all bugs worked out...currently trying to find every windows software equivalent for linux so I don't even have to boot to it anymore....I don't think it's gonna happen since I use photoshop as well as a couple other hard to replace windows apps but I'm gettin' there.

Man, tweakin' is fun! :D

cool link for linux discount btw

cool link for linux discount btw

Thanks.

Yeah Mandrake10.1 is pretty good. I've been running Mandrake for a few months now, since July. I'm getting bored again though. I'm thinking about upgrading to something else. Maybe Fedora Core 3.

I can't say I'm bored with it by any means...there always seems to be something to do to with it, whether it be just making aesthetic changes or installing new goodies but I would definitely like to try other distros....gotta get me a couple spare boxes and learn the ins and outs of installing multiple distros on the same machine....pretty much know what I'm doing with a win/lin dual boot but don't really know how to partition for multiple distros...been reading on it though and already have a nice distro collection.....MDK, FC2, Debian, xandros (yuck!..a little too win-wannabe for my liking)...icarros is mailing me his too, I've been hearing a bit about ubuntu (think thats how it's spelled)..wouldn't mind giving that a try too.

I'm not exactly sure why I've taken such a disliking to windows but the more time I spend in linux, the less I like windows

I'm not exactly sure why I've taken such a disliking to windows but the more time I spend in linux, the less I like windows

Agreed. Linux is always my first choice for an OS. We've been spoiled by the stability, power of Linux.

Linux rules!!