Upgrade version will upgrade from a copy of windows XP and will let you choose whether to keep your files or delete them. It will not however install from fresh on its own.

The full version will do all of the above but it will install from fresh on its own.

~Phil~

Phil,

An XP upgrade disk will install fresh as long as you have a copy of XP Home Full, XP Pro Full, 2k Full, etc. You don't need it installed.

Is this true with Vista?

EDIT: BTW those are canadian prices ;)

The US prices are as follows:

Based on current U.S. prices (which I wrote about last week), I would expect Windows Vista to sell in the U.S. for the following prices (full/upgrade):

Windows Vista Ultimate $349/$199

Windows Vista Business $269/179

Windows Vista Home Premium $239/$139

Windows Vista Home Basic $199/$99

Edited by Danny
Upgrade version will upgrade from a copy of windows XP and will let you choose whether to keep your files or delete them. It will not however install from fresh on its own.

The full version will do all of the above but it will install from fresh on its own.

~Phil~

wait what do u mean by install fresh on its own

When they say "full version" they mean that you can put the CD in the drive and it will install the complete OS.

If you are using a "upgrade" version, you have to insert the install disk from

a previous version to prove that you own the version that you are trying to

upgrade from.

Usually the upgrade version is a little cheaper but having to

fiddle around with the other install disk all the time gets to be a pain.

When I went from 2K to XP, I bought the upgrade version but if I had it

to do again, I think I would have sprung for the extra $ and bought the

full version.

so id be better off buyin full version rite? i would still keep all my files and stuff rite?

i mean i dont got the cd for the windows i got cause it came with the pc so idk

i wanna spend less but i dont want it to be a headache

Did your PC come with restore disks? If so, you should be able to get by with

the upgrade version if you want to save $100. If you don't have any restore disks, then you will have to get the full version.

With either full or upgrade, you should be able to install and keep all your files and other stuff.

BOSTON (Reuters) - Internet retailer Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq:AMZN - news) has started taking early orders for Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) Windows Vista operating system at prices ranging from $100 to $399.

Amazon is promising to ship the software on January 30, according to its Web site.

Microsoft spokesman Lou Gellos declined to comment on the Web retailer's pre-sale, saying the software maker is still completing its pricing model for Windows Vista. The operating system will be sold in multiple versions targeted at consumers and businesses.

Amazon's pricing ranges from $100 for a basic upgrade version of Vista to $399 for a full "ultimate" version of the operating system, according to the retailer's Web site.

A fiull version of xp(vista is probably similar) lets you change it from machine to machine. An oem or upgrade version are only supposed to be used on one mahcine, it can't be removed and installed on a different machine.