What Shall I Do....

Hmm, recently, I fixed one of my old PC's and I just ordered a router from ebay (should arrive soon). Now I'm stuck with what I should do with it.

I really want to get used to linux, so I prolly will be installing Linux as my main OS. (I want to try out Kubuntu).

Then maybe I can run a counterstrike server? A small 10 slot public, shouldnt be that laggy. Along with maybe Teamspeak/Ventrillo.

I dont need a webserver, since I do have a webhost and I have apache/mysql/php installed on my main machine for testing.

and, I have a dedicated server with unmetered bandwith, so I dont need no file hosting.

Any Suggestions?

a CS:S server sounds like a good idea. I'll take you on. It can run CS:S right? If not I'll blow the dust off 1.6 or CZ and play ya. Tto be honest I only played 1.6 once to compare to CZ and Source. It just happened to come with CZ.

I highly recommend Kubuntu, Martint! The good people at Ubuntu have really improved this distro over the years. Kubuntu supports a wide range of hardware, new and old; it has exceptional hardware detection. Also Kubuntu has an easy update feature built in to allow you to install new security patches as they become available. Another selling point is the fact that Kubuntu/Ubuntu will guide you through setting up a dual boot with Windows should you wish to do that. The experts here may have some other suggestions for you:-) Linux rules!

Honda, ew soruce? ew...

CS 1.6 all day baby ;)

hitest, I was wondering if Kubuntu can run like a server (CS 1.6) fine?

Or am I better off with something like SuSe or something.

I haven't run Kubuntu/Ubuntu as a server. I've run Mandriva as an Apache web server. Here's a link to setting up an Ubuntu server. Looks easy enough. Hope that helps. :D

Ubuntu Server

p.s. I've run Suse 10.1 that is also a good choice:-)

Any distro can run any server. All linux distros can be made to do the same thing. The difference between them is the way you configure and install programs. (K)ubuntu is nice, it is well supported, and best of all it uses apt for program installation.

I like the idea of running a headlss(no moniter) server. It is kind of cool completely configuring it from a remote machine. Yuo can do this all using putty, a windows app that allows you to log into a machine running ssh(secure remote login). By completely running it froma shell you will learn much faster about the inner workings of linux.

Any distro can run any server. All linux distros can be made to do the same thing. The difference between them is the way you configure and install programs. (K)ubuntu is nice, it is well supported, and best of all it uses apt for program installation.

I like the idea of running a headlss(no moniter) server. It is kind of cool completely configuring it from a remote machine. Yuo can do this all using putty, a windows app that allows you to log into a machine running ssh(secure remote login). By completely running it froma shell you will learn much faster about the inner workings of linux.

Ya? I messed with Putty couple of times, with my webhost (had to upload this large zip and extract).

Anyways, since I only have one monitor, looks like I will be going with your approach.

I really hope I can understand linux this time.

So, basically this is my plan.

-Install Kubuntu

-Install HLDS for CS 1.6 server

-Get this putty/ssh thing worked out.

Is there any tutorials for putty and ssh?

I messed with only couple of times, and I'm guessing I need to install OpenSSH on the kubuntu machine.

I think the ssh server is started by default with ubuntu. As to using putty you just need to enter your ubuntu username and ip address of your computer in the main box, for example

[email protected]

then it will prompt you for your password. after that you are logged into you linux box and can do anything you need to do.

As to installing you will need a moniter. I have started my gentoo install on a moniterless box(can't be done with ubuntu). I just needed to type a few commands blindly to set a root password and start my ssh server.