Hey,

I have been playing counter strike on my computer for several years now, no problem. Then the other day, i open up steam, and open up counter-strike, the main screen laggs, like when i hover the mouse over on of the buttons (ex:exit, find server, new game...) it takes like 5 secs then realizes my mouse is over it. And when im actually in a game my latency goes up to like 500+ and i just lagg out and cant play. I have run Ad-aware, Spy-Bot, Macafee, AVG, AVAST, and EWIDO. All found some little things that i fixed but still have the problem. I also have tried totally reinstalling it as well. My internet works fine for other games like Warcraft 3. And when im just browsing the internet its runs smoothly. So i really dont know.

Any help would be greatly appricated!!!

Thanks!

Edited by Optimus-prime

Hi Optimus and welcome to the forums!

Son once had a problem like that with a game (don't remember which one). It ran flawlessly for years and all of a sudden it started acting up, just like yours.

Ended up being a Mcafee Firewall Update not playing nice with it. We discovered this by going to the forums at the game's website where there were plenty of kids complaining about it. It DID get fixed a couple days later after another Mcafee update.

Sooo, check out Counter Strikes site's forums to see if anyone else is complaining of the same problem. Do what the experts tell you to do here, too!!

Couple of other things. You wrote you did Mcafee, AVG and Avast. You're not running all three, are you? That can cause problems. Also check to make sure you're not running both Mcafee and XP's firewalls. One antivirus, one firewall, many antispyware gagdets makes a happy computer

Another thought! :D You could try turning off Mcafee's firewall and turning on XP's firewall and see if that makes a difference. If so, then you know it's a quirk in Mcafee's firewall, which hopefully will be fixed with a future update.

Meanwhile, check out the forum and jump in!

Liz

is it just the one game or do you have massive latency jumps in others?

I had a problem like that not too long ago with both CS:S and DoD:S. My internet connection (just the cable in that room) was bad. I moved the modem up stairs and hooked i tup to the cable in my room. I then hooked it up to my Compaq hardwired and ran some speed tests and played CS:S. No problems. The game wasn't lagging and my latency had gone down. I moved my main system upstairs and hooked it up along with my wireless router (I had been getting awful speeds wirelessly on the Compaq too) and it was getting great speeds too only maybe the latecy was about 10ms higher I think cause of the router.

is it just the one game or do you have massive latency jumps in others?

I had a problem like that not too long ago with both CS:S and DoD:S. My internet connection (just the cable in that room) was bad. I moved the modem up stairs and hooked i tup to the cable in my room. I then hooked it up to my Compaq hardwired and ran some speed tests and played CS:S. No problems. The game wasn't lagging and my latency had gone down. I moved my main system upstairs and hooked it up along with my wireless router (I had been getting awful speeds wirelessly on the Compaq too) and it was getting great speeds too only maybe the latecy was about 10ms higher I think cause of the router.

If its happening for multiple games, as with Honda Boy, I would look into your computer's memory. Maybe you have a resource/memory hog running in the background, or some settings with your virtual memory, etc., maybe be acting up. Just a thought, because when my internet goes slow its usually because of that.

Good luck fixing the problem,

~Murtu52