Hi,

For the last week or so, someone has been scanning my UDP ports at least once a day. Sygate Firewall says that all scans have come from the same remote MAC address (but different IP addresses). Should I be concerned or worried?

I am running Windows XP Pro. with Service Pack 2 (all updates), McAfee Virus Scan ver. 8.0 (all updates), and Sygate Firewall ver. 5.6, with cable internet access.

Thanks for your help.

Just an additional assurance: The bored morons (Borons?) out there run programs that scan addresses automatically, they're not "targeting" you in particular. And yeah, your firewall is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing: Stopping them cold. :thumbsup:

Having a router does nothing. Now if you have a router with NAT enabled, then that definatly helps.

NAT was a great security invention that happened as a by product of CISCO trying to find a solution for running out of IPv4 addresses.

For the port scanning, theres people with botnets that scan an entire ip range 3 times a day for certain vunrabilities, oh joy.

Pierce

Having a router does nothing. Now if you have a router with NAT enabled, then that definatly helps.

NAT was a great security invention that happened as a by product of CISCO trying to find a solution for running out of IPv4 addresses.

For the port scanning, theres people with botnets that scan an entire ip range 3 times a day for certain vunrabilities, oh joy.

Pierce

Thats what I ment.

Edited by dBTelos

Thank you all for the reassurance. I am currently not behind a router because I didn't think the added security benefits was worth spending the money for router when I only have one computer. I never knew that some people actually scan entire IP ranges for vunerabilities.