Lessons Learned

A young family moved into a house, next door to a vacant lot. One day a construction crew turned up to start building a house on the empty lot. The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers. Eventually, the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough, more or less adopted her as a kind of project mascot.

They chatted with her let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.

At the end of the first week they even presented her with a pay envelope containing a couple of dollars. The little girl took this home to her mother who said all the appropriate words of admiration and suggested that they take the two dollar "pay" she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account.

When they got to the bank, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had come by her very own pay check at such a young age.

The little girl proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us." "My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"

The little girl replied, "I will if those a$$%^*es at Home Depot ever deliver the #%^&*@# sheet rock."

Liz

I copycatted some of the logger 'jargon' when our place was logged when I was little....surprising too that I added to the already 'rich vocabulary' I'd picked up from dad. Took many years to get that stuff washed out of my mouth. Ha!

The logging crew 'adopted' me as a mascot on that job and I guess it worked because no one had any injuries but did on one before ours and then my favorite of crew was killed on their next job. Dangerous work back then.

Pat

God bless everyone

I have learned to cuss to myself on the job that I'm doing right now. It is rough building a retaining wall around a large inground pool filled with kids under 12 years old. How many times I have come close to letting certain 4 letter words fly after smashing my fingers between 80 lbs. landscape blocks while laying them. I whacked my ankle with the pick, looked at my partner and asked where the kids were. Once he said they had left with their mother I let fly with about 4 weeks worth of cussing. :D

I have learned to cuss to myself on the job that I'm doing right now. It is rough building a retaining wall around a large inground pool filled with kids under 12 years old. How many times I have come close to letting certain 4 letter words fly after smashing my fingers between 80 lbs. landscape blocks while laying them. I whacked my ankle with the pick, looked at my partner and asked where the kids were. Once he said they had left with their mother I let fly with about 4 weeks worth of cussing. :D

I know what you mean, TT_75:-) Awhile ago I was moving through the house, and stubbed my toe. I blurted an expletive out with my three year old present. I'll never do that again as she promptly repeated what I said. I had to sit down and explain to her that I should not use such bad words, that I made a mistake. It is so easy to let fly though. :D