Ok when i turn my computer on everything spins up but my monitor wont come on. If i turn it off for a few hours and try again, sometimes it works. To me it sounds like a powersupply problem or possibly a hard drive issue. Any ideas? Oh and i checked my monitor, thats not the problem.

It's not the hard drive, it would post even if it was not functioning. Sounds like memory or the PSU. Try different memory combinations if you have different sticks because one may be going bad.

sounded like memory to me. Definately not hard drive. Your POST screen would at least show up if the HDD was bad. PSU I kinda doubt it too but it is a possibility. The memory just sounds like it cause that is EXACTLY what happened to mine when I first built it. One stick of my 2x512MB PQI Power PC3200 was bad. I oreder a Corsair XMS TwinX 2x512MB PC3200 Kit. Booted perfect every time. With the bad memory it usually wouldn't boot the first try. I had to push the reset button multiple times. When I removed the bad stick and just had the one good 512MB stick, it booted just fine but ran slower than all get out.

* forgot to mention what my specs were.

At the time:

EVGA NF47 nForce4 SLI x16

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice

2x512MB PQI Power PC3200 RAM

EVGA e-GeForce 7600GT CO 256MB GDDR3

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Later Swapped RAM to Corsair

Now:

EVGA NF47 mobo

Athlon 64 3500+ Venice

2x512MB Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 RAM

2x GeForce 7600GT CO's in SLI

Audigy 2 ZS

Kinda Felt like showing you my rig in comparison to yours. It's like you, kb, IEatHardDrives , and I are like the only ones with gaming rigs like ours in this forum. There may some more but I can't think of any others at the moment.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I own an emahcine that sounds very similar. Sometimes the onboard video does not seem to work. I usually open up the case, look a little, close it and try again and it works.

@xxKBxx

you mentioned PSU, have you seen a psu affect the video like that? A friend of mine(who runs a computer shop) also thought that the power supply could do that.

Edited by shanenin
I own an emahcine that sounds very similar. Sometimes the onboard video does not seem to work. I usually open up the case, look a little, close it and try again and it works.

@xxKBxx

you mentioned PSU, have you seen a psu affect the video like that? A friend of mine(who runs a computer shop) also thought that the power supply could do that.

If the Power supply is putting out nothing on the ATX connector (ussually it'll just put out like +5 volts or one thing) the power supply will turn on (so you'll hear fans) BUT, the motherboad will get no power, so it'll never post.

Ussually though, when PSU's go bad, you get no power, but they CAN put out power in some cases. That's why I recommend you get a cheap PSU tester. They are about $15 bucks, and well worth it

Edited by xxkbxx
Cool, I learned something new. Next time it boots I will take notice to see if I hear it post. One more thought, does it seem likely that the power supply would work then not work?

No, once the transformer becomes unwound, its unwound. I've never seen that happen, and I don't think it's even possible, but with computers - you never know!