Knoppix Disk

hi team ihave this knoppix disk which ive had for 1-2 years

when i first got it i was able to get in and access it .but now i get an error message in the console screen .and i cant seem to access it.

freezes my screen and i have to power off.i use winxp pro

so does any one think this is the reason i cant get in there .

or am i not typing the right command to get in .

bloody linux it is a snobs sys.and ordinary users have to be a technician to get in there

marty

" hi team ihave this knoppix disk which ive had for 1-2 years

when i first got it i was able to get in and access it .but now i get an error message in the console screen .and i cant seem to access it."

What error?

and a 1 to 2 year old cdr may be bad.. plus a lot of changes to hardware have happened.. the knoppix you have may not reconize any of your new hardware,,

"bloody linux it is a snobs sys.and ordinary users have to be a technician to get in there"

not a good way to get help.. But I would rather have a set of users with a clue than a buch of untrainded point-n-click think they know about coupters scriptkiddies running around.. sorry that line kind of angered me..

linux is very simple point-and-click mostly.. know if knoppix is too hard try to make a windows bootable cd.. (not too easy and has no software) .

my advice is please post the error you are gettting or try to boot with no APCI eneabled (hit f2 at boot:) or get a newer version of Knoppix or DSL or SLAX or what ever..

i dont give a s---t what you think of my post ive posted the problem 8- 9 times and if the sys was as well used as you spout why havent i got an answer.

one thing i wont be using any linux sys after this.

isnt user freindly.

only for some one with tech knowledge.

and most important you have to know how to use the console.

in front of me i have the history of linux

and no where does it say FOR THE ORDINARY USER

it says for the tech minded.

marty.

if you are trying to not get help.. well keep it up..

I asked that you post the error if you want help.. I have seen no error posted.. untill then non of us can help..

think of it this way..

Help my windows box will not boot.. it gives post error.. ??

and I hate windows it so hard to use...... with all the spyware and spam adn viruses..

see how little you can do with a psot like that .. We are willing to help just post the error...what did it say....

PS. your problem sounds like a power managment problem with the old knoppix disk.. if you hit f1 at the boot: propt you should see options for turning it off.

If you're not getting an error, and it just sits there like a $***, it seems like the problem I had with an earlier version and my HP pavilion...in which case icarros is right...try typing "knoppix noapm" ...or "apm=off" at the prompt (without the quotes)...or get a newer version of knoppix.

btw Marty, I notice you're one of the first to jump on people for not properly posting the errors and such on the other board...ya might wanna practice what you preach. (sorry, no offense intended)

I consider myself an "ordinary user" and have had my share of difficulties but I learn as I go with help from members of both boards...for both linux and windows.

when jcl, icarros, and others take the time to answer your post about a linux question, it definitely pays to give them the info that they need to help you.

I know linux can be frustrating when first starting out...too much like learning it all over again but between google and these cool geeks, it makes learning it a little easier and sometimes even fun. :D

hi team ihave this knoppix disk which ive had for 1-2 years

when i first got it i was able to get in and access it .but now i get an error message in the console screen .and i cant seem to access it.

freezes my screen and i have to power off.i use winxp pro

so does any one think this is the reason i cant get in there .

or am i not typing the right command to get in .

bloody linux it is a snobs sys.and ordinary users have to be a technician to get in there

marty

Hi,

Your sceen just freezes as soon as you boot from the knoppix CD? That's really weird. Have you tried your knoppix CD on another computer to make sure that in fact it does work? If you have then you know your CD works, and it isn't corrupt. If your CD doesn't boot on another computer then get another Knoppix CD.

Your could also try typing F2 when the Knoppix CD first boots, the help screen will give you some intructions for manually typing in commands to launch x windows.

If you're using a really old knoppix CD on a new system maybe it can't find the new hardware.

Like iccaros said you have to post more specific information to get help.

By the way iccaros is a Linux pro, he works in the field. Most of us including me are just people who like Linux, it's a great hobby. Your replies seemed a bit hostile for some reason.

sorry about my replys

i find linux frustrating .poster after poster come on to the board.and say there is nothing to it.like in my first post.

i say it is not user friendly.

dont worry i experimented with it.

2-3 years ago.

and ive posted on all the boards on how to combat it .

when i first got the knoppix disk.

i went to my library to try and study it

and the developers said it wasnt for ordinary users it was developed more for

the techniachly minded .

im not technicaly minded .

so i class it as not user friendly.

what is wrong with that statement.

when i bought mandrake 9.1

the problem was the same xp wouldnt wouldnt allow the boot loader .

and mandrake dissapeared off my compt .

and no where on my comt oud i find any reference to mandrake .

i posted on c,f,h tss .and g4 when we shifted here .

and when i posted i get a hostile bunch of posts .

so my time with linux is over.

the post in this thread shows how how frustrating it can be no wonder it will never replace win.tho it may be a better.OS but only people like your selves can use it

marty

the techniachly minded .

One thing: user-friendliness has more to do with the user than the system. To a degree of approximation, a system is user-friendly if you already can use well, or if it's similar to a system that you can already use well. When people say an operating system is user-friendly, they almost always mean it's similar to whatever operating systems they use. In most cases, that's Windows.

To people who are accustomed to Linux (and to a slightly lesser extent, other Unix-like systems), Linux is user-friendly. Indeed, to many of those people, Windows is a user-unfriendly system.

Sound like Windows either overwrote the bootloader or the entire MDK installation. Common problem. You have to be aware of how the systems interact, or more to the point, how Windows doesn't interact with other systems.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but your own posts are quite hostile. Linux help forums tend to be somewhat less tolerant than others of people who decide to blow off steam at the same time they ask for help. That was part of what I was referring to in the other thread when I mentioned that we had a lot of turnover in the TTV forums at times. Hostility, even when it was just an expression of frustration, was met with hostility.

[Heh. It looks like half the forum is about to post in this thread. You might want to duck :)]

Edited by jcl
sorry about my replys

i find linux frustrating .poster after poster come on to the board.and say there is nothing to it.like in my first post.

i say it is not user friendly.

dont worry i experimented with it.

2-3 years ago.

and ive posted on all the boards on how to combat it .

when i first got the knoppix disk.

the techniachly minded .

when i bought mandrake 9.1

i posted on c,f,h tss .and g4 when we shifted here .

so my time with linux is over.

the post in this thread shows how how frustrating it can be no wonder it will never replace win.tho it may be a better.OS but only people like your selves can use it

marty

Maybe a newer version of Knoppix would work for you. I'm using Knoppix 3.3 and I've found it to be excellent in detecting all of my hardware. I know Knoppix 3.4 has recently been released, you could try that one. You can download, burn 3.4 for free. That should detect all of the newer stuff on your computer.

As I said previously the new versions of Linux out now are "very" user friendly. To help you get better at using Linux I suggest you find out all of the system specifications on your computer and write down the information. For example, name, make, and model of your video card, modem, NIC, sound card, CD ROM drive. Then go to the web site of the version of Linux you're interested in and see if your hardware is compatible with Linux. In the beginning I found it useful to read a lot before I installed Linux. If you use google/linux you'll find millions of wesites that'll help you.

Good luck.

:D

I understand the frustration of OS you do not understand. but the new knoppix is really just point and click. I know of no reason to go the the command line unless you are tring to set up servers.. like ssh and ftp.

try the new knoppix (2.8 I belive)

also what does this mean..

"when i bought mandrake 9.1

and mandrake dissapeared off my compt ."

Window swas spacifficly made to not dual boot with other operating systems.. its why IBM suied MS over OS/2 so problems dual booting Winders and any other OS is %100 microsoft. Lilo and Grub both can boot a windows OS and the Windows loader can be configured to boot lilo and grub. but you do have to go to a microsoft command line to set that up.

this was written in 200 (way before mandrake 9.1) http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/multibootlinux/

I think you need to learn Google. or what ever I have been using linux since Red Hat 5.2 (yes way before broadband and before standaard internet.. most of it was bbs) and there was a lot of Linux documentation out then.

But it is diffrent.. the problem most people have when they first use Linux is they expect it to be a Free windows.. But no one expect their Mac to be windows (and its based on unix) so why would Linux be like windows.??

Linux is not a free windows..

now people complian about software they mostly mean games.. I run UT2003 and 2004 , doom III (plus all dooms and quake) , and I run War Craft III through WineX ..

how many linux games can windows run .. zero.. Linux can't run all windows games or even most of them.. but if it runs 1 its is 100% better at running others software.

in linxu you should learn the command line.. if windows breaks adn yoru in a recovery console you have to learn command line fast.

windows is based on dos which is a clone of CP/M. Linux is based on

Minix which is a clone of Unix.

they are so diffrent they can not be compaired.

I think if you think of things in this light life will be much simpler..

If you have more questions please ask.. We love to help in the Linux world.. but you must post the error for us to fix the problem.

i had mandrake 9.1 on an earlier compt but i didnt have enough resources.

so i bought a 10 and a 20 geg hdds.

which meant i had to change my sys.

i hadto buy a modem compatable to linux it wouldnt recognise win modems

the company i bought the modem off helped me to configure it into my sys.

then the sys wouldnt recognise my sound card.so i had to buy a sound card compatable to linux.

so buy this time i was wondering how much more hardware i needed to buy to get this sys to work.

so you see how frustrating it was becomming.

ok i realised mandrake was free but it was becomming apparent the hard ware wasnt free.but at that time there wasnt any one on the techtv boards to tell us that.

and of course my worry was how much more hardware did i have to replace .

to get it working.so i so stopped perservereing with it and stuck to winxp.

i like win xp but i also liked mandrake.

and once they established the linux help board here.

i thought it would be.great to have some one to help me .

that of course remains in the future.i know several poster like me who abandoned the idea of using linux and wont attempt it again.

so at the time i wasnt the only one.

tho in my case id like to try again

marty