What Are You Too Afraid To Do?

as a nerd, geek, gamer, ect. ect. ect.

what are the things that you are too afraid to do? seriously! especially if it's something that you've kinda wanted to do just to be a little more normal rather than a nerd or what ever.

for example as a nerd i'm very antisocial so i don't usually talk to people much, even joke around, although i can fearlessly joke online i have trouble doing it in person with people i don't know well. and as another example something i've seen people dance in empty streets out in public view and i've wanted to have the enough self confidence to do that. i know it doesn't take much for normies but for me, i don't have enough but with my GFs help i'm going to probably tomarrow or in the next couple days. yeah i know it's silly but still.

Scuba diving

I have jumped out of planes and been hang gliding but scuba diving scares me and I don't know why

SCUBA was one of the most fun things I've ever done. All I did for prep was listen to a 10 minute speech on the boat, and take a short lesson in the water. I was nervous at first but it was great

Scuba diving would be cool, haven't done that though. I like snorkling. I am deathly afraid of heights, don't ask me why. I'd like to try sky diving, but, I'd only jump at gun point:-)

... i've seen people dance in empty streets out in public view and i've wanted to have the enough self confidence to do that. ...

Anything that requires enough self-confidence to risk lookin' a fool in front of a group (I'll do anything, say anything, in front of up to three friends -- more than that and it's a "group" and I just can't). No dancing then (except once, when I was 'lit,' and the overheard comments, "Holy s**t he can really dance!" and "Wow, I always wanted to move like that!" only made me even more determined that I would never do that again).

Someday I'll look into why that is ...

Look at it this way, Hitest; if either of us were to jump from a plane, we'd pass out or die from fright the minute we're airborne so the landing wouldn't hurt :D Me too. Deathly afraid of heights.

I watch my Daughter on stage, singing and acting and it just amazes me that MY offspring is capable of doing that, and she has no stage fright whatsoever. Cool as a cucumber the entire time. I wish I could do that, but it ranks right there with jumping out of an airplane.

Liz

for example as a nerd i'm very antisocial so i don't usually talk to people much, even joke around, although i can fearlessly joke online i have trouble doing it in person with people i don't know well.

im the same way usially. sometimes when i try to speak i barely get anything out, i can bartely hear it. but sometimes im fine.

-Joe

So...you're gonna dance nekkid in the streets tomorrow or the next couple days???

Is that how I'm reading that?

(video highlights will be available at www.dumbnekkidguy.com) ;)

Hitest - I'm also scared of hieghts, but I've made 1846 jumps from perfectly good aircraft.

There is a huge difference between standing on the edge on top of a 15 story building, and hanging from the side of an airplane at 14,000' ASL.

Your mind does not recognize the usual objects at that hieght and therefore doesn't really register altitude, but on top of the building you see cars, people, dogs, mailboxes...and your mind goes nuts!

Plus it helps to have a good parachute strapped to the back, but even that doesn't help much at low altitudes...

well I guess I'm kinda nerdy but I've always been afraid to change the ram in my computer with the machine still running. I have changed hard drives with the machine running.

stupid?........YES......but there again injuns aren't very smart.

well I guess I'm kinda nerdy but I've always been afraid to change the ram in my computer with the machine still running. I have changed hard drives with the machine running.

stupid?........YES......but there again injuns aren't very smart.

Not stupid AT ALL!!!

RAM is NOT hot swappable, HDD's can be but not the RAM!

Changing RAM sticks with power on to the machine is a GREAT way to find out who's selling RAM cheap in your area...

I no longer will walk the steel. I used to work on tall structures until my last fall. Ladders and scaffold don't bother me. You can get me on a roof but I hate working near the edge now. I think it had something to do with those sudden stops. I don't want to cause someone else getting hurt if they happen to fall trying to grab me if I slipped off.

Hmm....well I'm glad that I'm not the only one afraid of heights...After about 20ft I'm latching on for dear life..lol.

I prefer a 1 on 1 conversation....in a crowd though...you wouldn't even know I was there... :blush:

Oh....and as far as this computer...I don't do anything unless I research and research and research...until I probably wouldn't do anything. Did add Ram though....my idea of surfing is forums...updates...music gear sites..and I'm fascinated at trying to figure out and read HJT logs as a game and see how far off I was when someone helps with a fix. So....I guess that would be Nerd huh.... :lol::lol:

But I love it!!!.... :lol: .... :thumbsup:

as a nerd, geek, gamer, ect. ect. ect.

what are the things that you are too afraid to do? seriously! especially if it's something that you've kinda wanted to do just to be a little more normal rather than a nerd or what ever.

for example as a nerd i'm very antisocial so i don't usually talk to people much, even joke around, although i can fearlessly joke online i have trouble doing it in person with people i don't know well. and as another example something i've seen people dance in empty streets out in public view and i've wanted to have the enough self confidence to do that. i know it doesn't take much for normies but for me, i don't have enough but with my GFs help i'm going to probably tomarrow or in the next couple days. yeah i know it's silly but still.

I think thats most geeks problem =P i do the same, i don't like people, so i dont like to be social AT ALL, i wouldn't say im "afraid" just dont like it.

I'm not in the least bit afraid to dive into the internals of my computer and start messin with stuff. I live for it. BUT I am DEATHLY afraid of heights. Like my dad says, why the hell would I jump out of a perfectly good plane. My knees start clacking trying to climb an 8ft ladder. Also, I have extreme social issues (not making regualr friends. I made friends with everyone at work quickly.). I can't seem to ask a girl out if my life depended on it. I've had one girlfriend and I'm about to go to court and get a restaining order on her. (she annoys the piss outta me and won't leave me the **** alone)

Edited by Honda_Boy
... I am DEATHLY afraid of heights. Like my dad says, why the hell would I jump out of a perfectly good plane. My knees start clacking trying to climb an 8ft ladder. ...

I have an odd relationship with heights. I'm scared, but I have never let that stop me from, uh-hem, getting high. It's sort of like, like I get a kick out of the fear or something. I've hung off third floor porches, climbed a three story "soundhouse" under construction, I don't hesitate to climb up on a roof or look out over ledges.

There are limits, I'm not going to do anything I would consider stupid (I had a friend that wouldn't hesitate*). But hangin' up there, lookin' down ... I can't really explain it. It scares me, but at the same time I feel good about conquering that fear.

* My friend, the crazy one, and I were at a six-story shopping mall. The top floor was mostly offices but we went up there to take a look. There were huge beams arcing across the open space below -- Six Stories Below. She climbed out onto them like a monkey climbs trees! (Security kicked us out.)

heights never bothered me when I was younger but now that my knees are not as good I won't work on roofs or walk on walls the way I used to. People and social chat were a problem for me as a teenager but I grew out of that in the army. This is probably a good thing as my job involves dealing with people all day.

JDoors

You're a "Climber" then, and as long as you feel you can make the climb safely you'll continue on.

I'm the same way too, I used to freeclimb absolutely EVERYTHING! Got myself into a couple of tight situations doing that too, like finding a 15' thick vein of crumbly shale 75' up a 100' cliff...can't go down safely either...yeeks!

Had to persevere thru that stuff to finish, man that was scary. Never felt like a solid foothold anytime during that free climb thru the shale.

As long as I feel I have a grip I'll climb anything, but I won't stand at the edge and look over....nope...uh-uhh.

I was on the cover of a Skydiving book back in the late 70's, along with my brother who is also a skydiver. Hanging on a plane doesn't bother me in the least, but I tried BASE jumping a few times and it wasn't for me.

post-152-1155188248_thumb.jpg

... You're a "Climber" then, and as long as you feel you can make the climb safely you'll continue on. ...

Must be. At one job an overhead door's drive belt broke while the door was open. It was around three stories high, during one of the coldest winters on record (take that, global warming). We HAD to fix that belt or pipes might start to freeze.

No problem, normally. Just take a "genie" lift, zip up there and fix the problem. But it was a loading dock and the floor was sloped from the street to the docks. The lift's safety automatically kicked off the power to prevent the lift from tipping over. My boss says, "defeat the safety and fix the belt."

Uh, no. Let the friggin' pipes freeze.

I wound up doing it anyway out of machismo or something when another guy said he'd do it. Oh heck no, if HE'LL do it, I'll just go ahead and do it. THAT, was scary, but I saved the pipes! :wacko:

My hat goes off to you and Chappy, JDoors:-) You are braver men than I. Social situations bothered me as a teen, but, when I enrolled in an athletics club I overcame my shyness. My job involves a lot of public speaking.

I still have some problems speaking in front of large groups (or even a classroom of 20) but I've discovered that I can use humor to make my audience laugh and make me feel better. More new people at work, more new friends, but I still can't build up enough courage to ask a girl out (or shoot the one that won't leave me alone :) )

about 700k

mpeg4 video

done with my inerself screaming and running for the door to an even deeper inerself to hide. and with not only 2 people i know but several strangers watching.

*macmarauder cringes

http://ia311517.us.archive.org/0/items/rob...ancingRobHi.mp4

that 1 has to be dedicated to thesidekickcat but the next 1 will be for you guys at besttechie.