New Tutorial

Hiya Folks!

I've just finished a small tutorial about how to create a keyboard shortcut to open your most commonly used programs...Check It Out!

Keyboard shortcuts are real time savers and any Power User worth their salt uses them extensively. Almost all programs today have keyboard shortcuts in them to open menu's and quickly do other functions, and once you learn them you can speed your use considerably.

This tutorial is not how to use all keyboard shortcuts, but how to create your own to open your favorite programs instantly! It really speeds things up, you'll have to try it out.

I'll be writing a tutorial on how to use KB shortcuts in everyday computing to speed things up and make life much simpler, and save on your "Mouse Time" which really is a slow device once you get to know KB shortcuts.

Anyway, go have a look at my article and try it out yourself. It's simple to do, it'll probably take a whole 7 minutes to read it and actually make your first shortcut :), what do you have to lose eh!!!

Take Care!

I have question, i need to know if the shortcut is already taken. is there a short of thing that will nofity me if the shortcut is already taken

Hi DD

No, there's no message that pops up unfortunately, but it's only if that program is open and has focus when it will stop the shortcut from working.

It doesn't matter that anything else uses that combination as long as it's not open and has focus, you can still use them for your programs.

Not many programs have 3 key stroke combinations really, and the ones that do don't have many. Most programs KB shortcuts are 2 keystroke combo's like ALT+F or CTRL+F kinda thing, that's why a 3 stroke combo will rarely have an issue. AFAIK, only my email program has a couple of 3 stroke combo's it uses, so I just have to make sure it doesn't have focus when I'm opening other programs this way.

Thx Robroy!

hi dave those links wont open for me

what am i doing wrong

marty

Hi Marty

I'm not sure of your question here...did you make some shortcuts and they're not working, or did Sultan get it right and answer your question?

If you still need help don't hesitate to ask buddy!

hi dave

yes sultan was right

ok

you taught me the key board short cuts

over a hundred years ago

and i still use it for

OE and IE and thunder bird

and as a reminder i just used it for slimbrowser

thanks dave

marty

Thanks Dave! :thumbsup:

I've seen that Shortcut key option before, but have never experimented with it.

I probably use my keyboard 90% of the time, with no Icons on my Desktop. :)

hey flatiron

i never thought of no icons on the desktop

ive used the k-board short cuts for quite a long time

but only to certain applis

yep i might try that

tho im not very good with the keyboard

marty

Hi Marty

you taught me the key board short cuts

over a hundred years ago

and i still use it for

OE and IE and thunder bird

Yes, for using INSIDE of programs already open, but this is used to OPEN those most used programs double quick, if you were confused about that at all.

I had forgotten about this sometime ago and when I came across it the other day again, I just had to show others this useful little option. I used to have most programs set up that way, but with a programmable keyboard I can program my F keys to do those functions also.

I have to turn on my F key lock to do it still so the KB shortcuts would still be faster most times, I'll have to set it up both ways I think!

Hi Flatiron

No prob buddy!

Same here, I only use the mouse when I have to. At work I've taught the others to use the KB shortcuts in the dispatch program and it has shaved an average of OVER 30 seconds off of dispatch times!! That adds up to lives saved in our business.