Storm Photos

Not today!! No "Michigan Hurricane" this time, only typical boomer with "merely" 50mph wind gusts. I guess Dan and Bozodog maybe got a punch, though, according to the newscasts.

Best thing, didn't lose power and no trees down around here. Phew. I must say that this morning when it got so dark I had to turn lights on (looked like 10pm at 11am), the first thing I did was brew a pot of coffee before the power went out. Not going without coffee! THEN I took the fans out of the windows and unplugged the computers :D You know where my priorities lie!

Liz

Edited by blim

Glad it wasn't as bad as that really bad storm you had!

Yeah I think you did the priority thing about right, though I probably would have done computer unplug first if I'm in here next to it...if I'm in kitchen...then it would be hit the coffee pot on button first (I use a thermos for my hot coffee during day then fix coffee pot up for next round so it is nearly always ready to start) then head to computer room. In the winter time when bad storms are predicted, I always start a big kettle of soup in my Dazey soup pot even though I can easily do soup on the wood stove if needed..lifelong habit to do comfort food for stormy weather. Ha!

Gotta run, hubby wants to take me to a fairly new local hamburger place we discovered about a month ago with great old fashioned burgers and shakes etc. Even kind of looks like the years ago great burger joints.

He must be hungry, he is growling at me. Bye!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

edit: well the good thing about the new place is it isn't one of those 'cardboard cutout' chains with nearly 24/7 poor service, but the bad thing is we just found out they aren't open every day of the week!!! So back home to make hot dogs. Thanks to having plenty in freezer (buy on sales only), and fast thaw and cook in microwave, that by the time I had the rest of it done the franks were too. So we saved about $12 to $15 bucks...that's always a good thing too!!! So all in all it worked out ok, just not according to plan but then so much we do isn't as planned. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

Aww, Naming, you don't get clouds like that?!? I suppose most folks in Michigan would just take that for granted, but we always love to look at the sky when a front is rolling in. Best place is to drive to Lake Michigan and watch them come over the lake. Beautiful! Our own little version of "big sky country". And yes, we are weather idiots in Michigan--if there is ever a tornado warning, the first thing we do is run outside to look at the sky :D

mmmm--are they real shakes made with ice cream, Pat? We're lucky enough to have a soda fountain in our town (they even know what a "malted" means! I feel so sorry for todays kids, they have no idea what a malt is) and the Long John Silvers/AW Restaurant still makes 'em the old fashioned way, both places include bringing a glass and the "shake tin" to the table.

Liz

Oh wow, Naming! Those scared me just looking at them!! (Barb, take a look at THOSE!!) Experienced a tornado once while in Kentucky. Never want to experience another one! I'll never forget the sound :blink: Us Michiganders decided blizzards weren't as bad as tornados--at least snow eventually melts

Snyper, probably Southern Midwest--Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma seem to be the tornado spots.

Liz

*** Never argue with Idiots - they will drag You down to their level ... & beat you with Experience.***

^^hmm, i must remember that next time im trying to prove the world aint flat to some drunk in a pub o_0..

In ireland we dont get such wild storms and such, so no photos im afraid..

Heh, i answer with...

THESE

http://www.tinyvices.com/storms.html

I dont get clouds like that BUT i get faily hard rain in extermly bright skys...which is kinda cool in it self =P.

Those pics are beautiful in an eerie sort of way yet there is somehow a feeling of great danger close at hand even if you had never seen or heard of any cloud like that you know it's potential. Scary! I sure never want to see something like that!!!

I'd match a volcanic eruption ash cloud with other sections of the country's bad weather storm clouds, if I had more energy to do a search for the nearby Mt St Helens in 1980 blowing her top off.

Quoting Liz, mmmm--are they real shakes made with ice cream, Pat? We're lucky enough to have a soda fountain in our town (they even know what a "malted" means! I feel so sorry for todays kids, they have no idea what a malt is) and the Long John Silvers/AW Restaurant still makes 'em the old fashioned way, both places include bringing a glass and the "shake tin" to the table.

Defintely you are lucky to have an old fashioned place that has malts and if they make enough to actually leave some in the stainless shaker for seconds!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for our new favorite hamburger diner...haven't tried their shakes yet, but the review in community free paper said they were old time real and great!! I think I saw malts listed too, and a long list of shake flavors. And a real memory tugger is that you can have a mix of two flavors!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Haven't had my cherry banana for many decades. Ooooh!!! Or chocolate cherry, or or or ... :thumbsup::thumbsup: I shouldn't even be thinking of such goodies if I'm going to lose any weight this year!!! Sigh!!! Ok back to reality, with my celery nibbling to fill me up (and also bring down my blood pressure from recent stresses yet again!!

Pat

God bless everyone

I was up in middle of the night last night feeding my sick little kitty cat (a round the clock thing lately) when the kitchen cupboards and dishes/pans etc all started rattling and I looked up and hanging plants above windows were shaking too. Lasted a good minute. Cat was scared, but then she has been panicky lately at the drop of a hat even if only in her imagination anyhow.

So just remembered to check it out on my Wunderground weather site which has an earthquake section, and it listed a place I never heard of (turns out it was a zip code census name). So checked my earthquake links, and found there were about a half dozen quakes about 30 miles North of here with the one I felt at 1:40 (my clock time) being a 3.8 shaker and widely felt. Yep I knew it was more than just the train (with it's usual vibrations) going by at the same time I felt it. I hope that swarm of small quakes is all that is going to happen around here!!!

Katu ch 2 Aug 3rd quake story with map that also shows local known fault lines

Pat

God bless everyone

I've felt and heard (I never knew you can HEAR them!) two tiny earthquakes up here in Michigan in the past 20 years. Even though they were only about a "2", it was pretty freaky! Would have thought it was just a semitruck except for that eerie sound (and the news reports later!)

I'm sorry the kitty's sick, Pat! Hope she gets back to her old loony self soon!

Liz