hi all this carving was made by one of my ancesters

wich stands at the auckland museum NZ

it was carved by my great great grand father.

in those days we didnt have a written language

so history was depicted in carvings

and the memory of the elders

most of my race can recite there ancestery

by memory

and the carvings also tells us of our history

to explain it would take me many pages and hours

of typing

so ive tried to explain in a short post

in my language it is called a teko-teko

marty

21deubl.jpg

Wow, it's beautiful, Marty, absolutely beautiful! I've tried carving-- not for me because I'm not talented enough! I sure can appreciate your GGGrandfather's talent! Thank you for sharing it!

Liz

hi liz i believe the native americans

were very good carvers

and that is how they wrote their history

thanks for the reply

as time goes by i will send more nz art to this forum

marty

Edited by martymas

That's great that it's still available to view and hasn't disappeared into the vapors of history, especially since you have a connection with the artist.

Oral History has always been a fascinating subject to me, and "ancient" carvings amaze me.

hi JD

in a small town near were i was born

there is a small musuem

were the artifacts

of my family are on display.

and i have to admit i didnt know the history of my

ancesters until i browsed the museum

modern youth my elders say

i changed my tv server so i could watch

these types of programs on discovery chanels

and discovered there are cultures out there

we need to know about

the piece i sent to the board

we had to send to a bigger museum

so they could preserve the wood

by some process,

as the wood was starting to deteriote

with age

tho my ancesters had a means of preserving the wood

us modern people have lost this art

simmer the would over a fire

is what i can recall.

have you any info on native american art

marty

Edited by martymas

I have no particular education or knowledge about native art. I did just read an article in National Geographic that had a stunning photo that said so much about how some view these priceless treasures:

A prehistoric painting of a Bison on a cliff wall. Someone stenciled the words:

This is private property, NO TRESSPASSING!

Right over the painting! Just how ignorant do you have to be to do something like that? I understand if it's on your private property you don't want unfettered public access, but hasn't that idiot ever seen a sign, on a post?

You have to wonder how much of our history is lost to indifference, ignorance, and vandalism.

Marty had it in his original post but I'm not seeing it anymore, either, so it's not on your end, Snyder. Marty, Marty, Marty....what did you do with it? :D

Liz

I see it still!?... it's beautiful.

(Maybe it's in my cache?... Nope... cleared my FF cache and it's still there.)

I did a google to learn more and enjoyed the experience, though I was disappointed with the dearth of Google Images.

Thank you Marty!

Edited by bobbynichols

The first time yesterday when I tried to view the picture I had a little trouble to get it to load. Then after a another try it finally did.

But now today when I entered this thread it just loaded with no problem at all. :lol:

I think you got the idea there Liz....."sneaky little critter is right"... ;)

did you try right clicking it and press show pictures

i sent it in through

tinypics

so it may be that is the trouble

i had trouble with the michele wie pic

not sure why

marty

Very Interesting Marty, Thanks for sharing it with us.

Isn't it amazing that all cultures of the world past and present go to whatever means necessary to express themselves and leave a record for the future generations? It is like an inborn drive to not be forgotten and to describe the life they lead so it will have lasting value and not be in vain. So many ways, totem poles, masks, drawings on cliff walls, burial chamber items and art, grave stone epitaphs, carvings in wood or stone, paintings, so many ways in the past to communicate with all who choose to take the time to listen and see. We are all connected both now with each other, and with the past generations. And look at the all the ways we try to be heard now....especially with the internet making it easy in a way to express our thoughts and feelings yet it seems harder than ever to be listened to in the vast mileu of postings everywhere. Just been thinking since Marty first posted this thread about the interwoven fabric of human life past, present, and future.

Pat

God bless everyone

Isn't it amazing that all cultures of the world past and present go to whatever means necessary to express themselves and leave a record for the future generations? It is like an inborn drive to not be forgotten and to describe the life they lead so it will have lasting value and not be in vain. So many ways, totem poles, masks, drawings on cliff walls, burial chamber items and art, grave stone epitaphs, carvings in wood or stone, paintings, so many ways in the past to communicate with all who choose to take the time to listen and see. We are all connected both now with each other, and with the past generations. And look at the all the ways we try to be heard now....especially with the internet making it easy in a way to express our thoughts and feelings yet it seems harder than ever to be listened to in the vast mileu of postings everywhere. Just been thinking since Marty first posted this thread about the interwoven fabric of human life past, present, and future.

Pat

God bless everyone

My faith is entwined with family history and genealogy and reminded me of a passage:

"16 Therefore, renounce war and proclaim peace, and seek diligently to turn the hearts of the children to their fathers, and the hearts of the fathers to the children; " context: Doctrine & Covenants 98... and Biblical cross reference: Old Testament Book of Malachi

I pray that we continue to remember our ancestors with reverence and diligence and continue our traditions for the benefit of our posterity.

:Bobby Nichols

Pat

God bless everyone

hi

fortunately in my culture

all men and woman

are able to recite their heratage

and ancestery by memory

my grand mother could

go back 8 generations by memory

which means she could

recite our family history

as i stated in an earlier post we had no written language

so it had to be retained some how

our elders

made the woman in particular

remember our history

as and a reult sometimes history

got strewed up as it was passed from

generation to generation

to day the young people

have lost this art

as the data is now written

and recorded

thank god

marty

Edited by martymas
... Isn't it amazing that all cultures of the world past and present go to whatever means necessary to express themselves and leave a record for the future generations? It is like an inborn drive ...

The local PBS station just ran a series on the subject!

How Art Made The World

"Acclaimed Cambridge University lecturer Dr. Nigel Spivey takes viewers on a quest to comprehend mankind's unique capacity to understand and explain the world through artistic symbols. Far more than a survey of art history, HOW ART MADE THE WORLD explores the essential functions art served in early civilizations and, in some cases, still serves in modern society."

Another quote (eerily similar to what you wrote):

"... Spivey explores the latest thinking by historians, neuroscientists and psychologists regarding the deep-seated and universal human desire to create art."

Some amazing connections you'd never really expect.

-------

Edited by JDoors
... Isn't it amazing that all cultures of the world past and present go to whatever means necessary to express themselves and leave a record for the future generations? It is like an inborn drive ...

How Art Made The World

"Acclaimed Cambridge University lecturer Dr. Nigel Spivey takes viewers on a quest to comprehend mankind's unique capacity to understand and explain the world through artistic symbols. Far more than a survey of art history, HOW ART MADE THE WORLD explores the essential functions art served in early civilizations and, in some cases, still serves in modern society."

"... Spivey explores the latest thinking by historians, neuroscientists and psychologists regarding the deep-seated and universal human desire to create art."

-------

hi JD

that was a great article

hope more peole read it

funny thing i used to view

modern artists

as a way to hide the uninployment figures

but when art involves you personaly

you can see the whole pic

and that it has its place in cultural history

so i dont have that view any more

perhaps im more mature now

marty

How Art Made The World

-------

Wow! Isn't that an amazing coincidence to his quote? Sounds like an iteresting series! Thanks for the link.

Pat

God bless everyone

Wow! Isn't that an amazing coincidence to his quote? Sounds like an iteresting series! Thanks for the link.

Pat

God bless everyone

If you get a chance to catch it in reruns it's really good. Like their point about prehistoric depictions of humans bing abstract (with exaggerated features; big bellies, large heads, etc.) and how and why that changed to what you and I THINK are accurate sculptures of the human form (all those Roman and Greek statues? They're not accurate! Surprise! He points out how inaccurate they are, AND WHY they're INTENTIONALLY not accurate).

Or how artistic expression was used by the ruling elite to invoke power (leading up to Hitler's use of art as propaganda), and how that continues to today -- think of "The Great Seal of the United States of America," with its eagle and many other symbols, or all the symbols on a dollar bill, they are not there just for the sake of nostalgia, they are meant to invoke FEELINGS of patriotism and respect.

Much of the native art on those sites are beautiful, no doubt, but they were also meant to have very specific meanings too. Not exactly propaganda, but not exactly NOT propaganda either.

here are some bone carvings

from the uni of canterbury in the city ilive in

the carver is a good friend

or nearly a cuzzie bro

these carvings are made from whales teeth

many whales die and get washed up on the coastal shores

of nz

nz is surrouned by water

and many people cut the teeth out and send them to the uni

i believe they have a 30 year supply

how ever here are some of rickys work

as my country is surrounded by water

most food and life came from the sea

hence the carvings from sealife

in the early history

the only meat found here came from a giant bird[moa]

but it soon became extinct

any other meat was brought here by white s\explorers

so carvers had very limited resources apart from wood or sea creatures bones

later they introduced the dog [kuri] and the native rat [kiore]

they carved orniments from these bones like earring. rings

neclaces.ect

marty

23ush8o.jpg

this one is embedded with paua shell [abalony

23uss54.jpg

23uu3rr.jpg

Edited by martymas
  • 2 months later...

Marty, there's the Heard Museum right here in Phoenix. The website doesn't really do it justice, but it's a very good museum.

Did you see the movie The Whale Rider?

I highly recommend it.

Filmed in your land.

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

hi joe sorry i havent been back to the thread

until now

yes i saw whale rider

i know the family and people involved

keisha castle hughs

is a very good actress

for her age at the time