Internet, Freezing, Drivers, Looking At Other Partitions?

Ha, im back with more stupid questions,

First, hmm my connection doesn't seem to work 0_o,

Second about 45mins in i was just messing around seeing what i could do and it froze -_-, i waited 15mins and in the end i had to shut off power my computer (Not cool)

Third, Video Card Drives? When, Where, How?

And last, can i look at my NTFS partitions and read files from them?

Connection: Im using DSL ISP: SBC-Yahoo

Freezing: Yeah it froze out of nowhere, i wasn't doing anythi....wait on second thought i was trying to open my DVD-Drive (which never opened btw -_-) befor it completly froze it was freezing for a few seconds, and come back for afew mins...then it'd only come back for a few seconds, and then completly.

Drivers for video card: Um...ill google this so you can prolly ignore it, but help is always welcome =P

NTFS: This is importent because i dont really want to have 2copies of my music...documents and vidoes.

First, hmm my connection doesn't seem to work 0_o,

Let's get the basics out of the way. Open a terminal window and enter ifconfig. You should get a list of network interfaces. Your NIC should be named 'eth0' or some such. If it's missing or misconfigured that's your problem :) If it looks fine... someone will think of something.

Third, Video Card Drives? When, Where, How?

What kind of video card?

And last, can i look at my NTFS partitions and read files from them?

What kind of, um, distro? NTFS is supported read-only but not every distro includes the module (driver). If the module is available, you can

$ sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro $DEVICE $MOUNT_POINT

where $DEVICE is the partition you want to mount (e.g. /dev/hda1) and $MOUNT_POINT is the directory you want to the partition mounted on (e.g. /media/hda1). (The -t and -o options probably aren't required, but I threw them in on the off chance.)

Freezing: Yeah it froze out of nowhere, i wasn't doing anythi....wait on second thought i was trying to open my DVD-Drive (which never opened btw -_-) befor it completly froze it was freezing for a few seconds, and come back for afew mins...then it'd only come back for a few seconds, and then completly.

You could look though /var/log/message or /var/log/syslog or /var/log/$SOMETHING_ELSE to see if the system logged anything unusual. (You'd sort of has to guess what 'usual' means :)) Could be a flaky hardware, drivers, software.

You know, now that I think about it, that sounds familiar. I had a machine that stuttered and locked up randomly when I tried to use the CD-ROM. For the life of me I can't remember why but I think it was a hardware problem.

Edited by jcl
Let's get the basics out of the way. Open a terminal window and enter ifconfig. You should get a list of network interfaces. Your NIC should be named 'eth0' or some such. If it's missing or misconfigured that's your problem :) If it looks fine... someone will think of something.

Hmm k *Writes it down*

What kind of video card?

Radeon

What kind of, um, distro? NTFS is supported read-only but not every distro includes the module (driver). If the module is available, you can

$ sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro $DEVICE $MOUNT_POINT

where $DEVICE is the partition you want to mount (e.g. /dev/hda1) and $MOUNT_POINT is the directory you want to the partition mounted on (e.g. /media/hda1). (The -t and -o options probably aren't required, but I threw them in on the off chance.)

Im using ubuntu, hope that works.

When i do click on the partition it says Can't Mount.

Edit: eth0 is there but i donno what it should have said >_<.

Edit...again lol:

I was reading the Ubuntu forums and wireless and USB can be a problem? could this be it...i use Ethernet for my Ps2 but i havn't been gaming much latly, so i wont mind to much moving it over, but is it a fairly simple fix for the USB?

Scratch that,i just whent ahead and pluged in my Ethernet, and nets up and running, infact im on Ubuntu right now.

Edited by Naming is hard
I have a few Odd questions, everything is so big, and i can't figure out how to change it

if you are running Gnome Desktop->preferences->screen resolution

I have a few Odd questions, everything is so big, and i can't figure out how to change it

yeah i know that 0-o thats not what i meant.

Everything is pretty much the right size besides the Desktop icons and the web browser. Text is huge on Firefox lol

Thats the text like "File, Edit, View, Ect..." not the pages (duh)

Edited by Naming is hard

yeah i know that 0-o thats not what i meant.

Everything is pretty much the right size besides the Desktop icons and the web browser. Text is huge on Firefox lol

Thats the text like "File, Edit, View, Ect..." not the pages (duh)

Try Desktop>Preferences>Fonts. In regards to the system locking up, if it happens again try pressing ctrl + alt + backspace to kill the X server. My general rule of thumb is if the key combo works (kills the server) the freeze was an application problem else its a driver/kernel problem.

linux doesn't read ntfs partitions so if you need to access files you need to store them on a fat partition. Then they can be read from both, that is how I store my music, docs and picson my dual boot m/c

linux doesn't read ntfs partitions so if you need to access files you need to store them on a fat partition.

Linux has full read and limited write on NTFS. Full write if you jump through some hoops.

Edited by jcl
the crashing hasn't happened agained yet.

Everything is working great and i wouldn't be missing anything from windows besides the fact that i cant look at my NTFS parititions they dont seem to want to mount.

what have you tried to do to mount them?

what does this command show. It will tell you where your partition is. More then likely it is /dev/hda1

sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda | grep -i ntfs

Edited by shanenin

linux doesn't read ntfs partitions so if you need to access files you need to store them on a fat partition.

Linux has full read and limited write on NTFS. Full write if you jump through some hoops.

Writing works much better with ntfs3g.

It still doesn't mount 0-o

BTW the Fat32 is on a different harddrive,

sudo fdisk -l #Shows this
Disk /dev/hda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 7833 62918541 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 7834 27137 155059380 f W95 Ext'd (LB A)
/dev/hda3 27138 30401 26218080 83 Linux
/dev/hda5 7834 26952 153573336 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6 26953 27137 1485981 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 654 5253223+ 12 Compaq diagno stics
/dev/hdb3 655 9729 72894937+ f W95 Ext'd (LB A)
/dev/hdb5 655 9729 72894906 b W95 FAT32

EDIT:

Ha! got it to work.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows.php

That helped alot.

Now....can anyone recommend a good Itunes replacment? for Podcast and Music.

Oh and yeah, when i play H.264 video files they look really really bad...all blury and stuff...hows the cause of this?

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3276/screenshoted0.png

Edited by Naming is hard

banshee, gtkpod

and sharpmusicia