Okay when I turn FF on on my main system (Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM, Hardwire) it takes a few seconds (bout say 7-8) for the homepage (google) to load. The window just sits there and then after a few seconds it shows up. Well my Compaq (Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB RAM, wireless) It loads instantly. Now on the main system if I already have a browser open and open another window it loads instantly. On IE it loads instantly too. FF only takes time to load when I open it with no other window open. Now this is the same exact install of windows my old Athlon XP 3000+ system started with. I have never reinstalled this copy. Just when I bought a the new parts I did a repair install. It started after that. Anyone know why it'd do this. At first I thought it was my ISP but when I noticed my Wireless computer was loading instantly I knew it was just this system.

I Honestly think it's the hard drive. It doesn't seem to be very swift. It's a Maxtor 160GB Diamond Max 9 7200RPM 6MB Cache. Most stuff loaded just as fast if not faster with my Compaq's 80GB WD. It's a 7200RPM 2MB cache drive. I think I'm gonna replace it with a WD Raptor X 150GB drive and use the Maxtor as the My Documents drive. Ahh well.

Thank you for any help.

I notice an enormous difference in speed between my original hard drive and the much newer external one, so you might be on the right track there.

Are the antivirus programs identical? If I turn mine off the computer is TEN TIMES faster, so it makes a huge difference too.

yep they both run on AVG but the main system has sunbelt Kerio. I'm fixin' to run Spybot and Ad-aware. I may also reinstall Sunbelt Kerio and see if that helps. It was installed on the old computer (ff too) and I have done a repair install for Windows when I moved it over to the new system. I'm also having problems with some games but thats for another thread.

*I've run Spybot and Ad-Aware and even disabled thefirewaal and still takes time. Now I'm torn between 3 things to do. 1. Buy new Raptor HDD. 2. Buy second GeForce 7600GT. 3. Use EVGA Step-Up to upgrade to 7900GT.

Edited by Honda_Boy

crap I even reinstalled firefox and it still does it. Maybe I'll have to do the complete uninstal and reinstall.

First, I need to know where my bookmark file is. I may either back up the one I have or copy the one from the upstairs computr (it has more bookmarks and they are organized in folders). Second I need to know wher eall the rest of the files are. I've done this once but can't remember how. If someone could remind me it'd be nice. Thanks.

Note: You will have to go back and re-apply all of your personal settings (Options), as deleting the Profile folder will erase everything Firefox related.

You will be starting with a clean slate.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.

This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.

It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.

That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.

For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

You might want to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, before you uninstall, and save it to somewhere you'll be able to find it.

This is where all of your Bookmarks are stored.

Set windows to show hidden files,

How to see hidden files in Windows

Then navigate to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html

And make a copy of the Bookmark.html file

Then you can replace, the new one created, with the old one, you copied.

After you install Firefox, delete Bookmark.html, and replace it with your saved copy of Bookmark.html.

Restart Firefox.

That way, you'll have all of your Bookmarks back.

Now for the uninstall.

Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.

Then navigate to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles

Delete the Profiles folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).

Then navigate to:

C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.

Download a fresh copy of Firefox.

Now, reinstall Firefox.

Don't forget to replace your Bookmark.html file.