Laptop Not Connecting To Internet--netgear Router

A friend of mine has a problem connecting his laptop to his network at home. He has a secure network (set up by someone else), and all of his other computers are working properly with the network. His laptop, though, can't connect to the network, but can detect the SSID. Even with the correct network key entered, it doesn't connect.

All I know about the network is that his laptop is running Windows XP (I'm assuming SP2), and his router is Netgear (not sure about the model number).

Any help, guys?

Thanks,

Murtu52

He's not getting any error messages--that's partially why this is frustrating.

just2good4u3434, do you think this is a router problem or a receiver problem? He's tried the basic things, like making sure the key is entered, restarting the router, etc., but to no avail--I've never experienced, nor heard of, this kind of problem.

I'm gonna call Netgear on his behalf and try to get this sorted out...

Thanks for the input,

Murtu52

EDIT: Shanenin, how do I list the connections? ipconfig /all?

Edited by murtu52

Once "connected" run "ipconfig" and see if you are getting an IP. If this problem is only on the one computer, it makes me thing it's a security setting, such as MAC filtering that is not allowing the computer to join the network.

One question, is your computer connected to the router, but not the internet? You can ping the router to see if it's connected to it. If that's it, then I'd call up Netgear and get the settings fixed

Is the wireless built-in to the laptop or is it a card?

I could be way off the mark but I've noticed a couple different manufacturers allow ascii or hex keys, this is a very small detail that can be overlooked (I speak from experience :blink: ), just a small tick box meant connect or not.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

xxkbxx, I asked him about that, but he said that the laptop is already entered into the MAC address filtering list--it may not be set up properly, though; if I get a chance, I'll go to his house and check that first.

I'll also ping the router, I didn't think of that....

One last thing, for the MAC address filtering, for Netgears, it asks for a computer/device name and MAC address. does the computer name on the list need to be the same as the actual computer name? or is the name irrelevant?

Murtu52

Edited by murtu52