since my spouse insists on using IE does anyone know where I can get a popup blocker for IE 5.5 that won't crash the browser?

did I mention that it needs to be freeware? I'm broke.

Edited by bearskin

Have you tried POW

Not sure about browser compatability.

Wife's the same, refuses to use Firefox.

Been using POW for about 3 yrs. with no problems.

Once it's trained, you very seldom see any popups.

Have you tried POW

Not sure about browser compatability.

Wife's the same, refuses to use Firefox.

Been using POW for about 3 yrs. with no problems.

Once it's trained, you very seldom see any popups.

thank you sir...I will give it a try.

hide the IE icons and make her use firefox. I just told my family to use Firefox cause it's safer. Also it's my computer and they are nice enough to use firefox so as to protect it. My mom took to firefox just fine and so did my dad.

The Google toolbar has an excellent popup blocker! Way better than the pathetic one that my F-Secure Internet Security Suite has. I haven't had any popups since I turned on the Google one. F-Secure only recognizes about 1 out of 10 or worse, but Google gets them all.

I don't know if it is backwards compatible though to older IE version. Will your OS allow you to update your IE? I have Win2000 and have IE 6 something, although not the latest and greatest that comes with XP Sp2 unfortunately, because that one has an ad blocker too I understand, not just a popup blocker.

By the way, I really would like to have a total ad blocker if anyone knows of one that is safe with no spyware, and free? I sure do miss the great fantastic ad blocker that Norton firewall had, but don't miss all the trouble I had with Norton.

I agree with your wife, I like IE too. Shhh, don't tell anyone but her!!! Ha! :rolleyes:

F-Secure prefers IE too, the other browsers need special configuration to use with it. Grrr! I had been trying out Opera at one point last spring, oh well, maybe next year's FS version wont be so persnickety.

Yes it is compatible with IE5.5 but doesn't have all the features. And the toolbar can be shoved up on another IE toolbar after playing around with making it smaller by getting rid of icons you don't want. (unlock the IE toolbars first) I have it on my top IE line next to help.

Google toolbar

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat
The Google toolbar has an excellent popup blocker! Way better than the pathetic one that my F-Secure Internet Security Suite has. I haven't had any popups since I turned on the Google one. F-Secure only recognizes about 1 out of 10 or worse, but Google gets them all.

I don't know if it is backwards compatible though to older IE version. Will your OS allow you to update your IE? I have Win2000 and have IE 6 something, although not the latest and greatest that comes with XP Sp2 unfortunately, because that one has an ad blocker too I understand, not just a popup blocker.

By the way, I really would like to have a total ad blocker if anyone knows of one that is safe with no spyware, and free? I sure do miss the great fantastic ad blocker that Norton firewall had, but don't miss all the trouble I had with Norton.

I agree with your wife, I like IE too. Shhh, don't tell anyone but her!!! Ha! :rolleyes:

F-Secure prefers IE too, the other browsers need special configuration to use with it. Grrr! I had been trying out Opera at one point last spring, oh well, maybe next year's FS version wont be so persnickety.

Pat

God bless everyone

I second the Google Pop up blocker in the toolbar.

Works great on IE6. I use it all the time.

Hey bear,

Here's some additional info for the Google Popup Blocker.

To clear the count, Hit shift & alt and left click on the icon, then yes to delete.

Bless you for that information!!! I was so annoyed with the ever increasing number and couldn't figure out how to zero it out! Thank You very much for solving that mystery for me. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's the little things like that that seem to bug me the most it seems!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

I was just over there checking it out, and didn't have any popups with Google blocker and it didn't catch any either.

Did find a newer (June 06) version is now available.

Main Page for new EMS Free Surfer

To get more info check out the read more links on main page, and the Support link on left.

I think I will give it a try later to see if it works with my F-Secure Suite, and my Logitech wheeled mouse/keyboard (had a warning about some Logitech wheeled mice).

Thanks Flatiron for suggesting it.

Pat

God bless everyone

that's nice that it is freeware again. back in the days when I used IE I too used Freesurfer Mk.II. Then they quit offering it and you had to pay for the companion. Now the Companion is free and they offer Mk.II again. Ah well, I use FF now and I don't go to enough sites with pop ups to worry about it.

that's nice that it is freeware again. back in the days when I used IE I too used Freesurfer Mk.II. Then they quit offering it and you had to pay for the companion. Now the Companion is free and they offer Mk.II again. Ah well, I use FF now and I don't go to enough sites with pop ups to worry about it.

EMS Freesurfer was always free, but for awhile it was so difficult to get to the free popup blocker page that most thought that it was gone and the Companion was all that they offered.

It wasn't...it was just that the Companion page was what 99% of people ended up on because of the way the site set it up, and you really had to look hard to get to the free popup blocker page.

I used EMS Freesurfer for ages when I used IE and I really liked it. It was very unobtrusive if the options were set up properly, and did the job wonderfully. It may actually still be installed back there somewhere, but I use a different browser with built-in blocking so I never think about it anymore.