Grrr >_< Linux Hates Me

Lol, ok so about 6months ago i was like, YEAH! ima dual boot linux! w00tness, and i gave up because i had some weird problems and noone could help me on the Ubuntu forums (Cause thats the distro i wanna use) but so now, im really tired of windows, for everyday task and i really wanna move over, to linux, well Dual boot it, anyways so i tried the live CD and i got some weird X-server Error(Graphical Interface), i posted onthe Ubuntu forums and some tried to help me, what i was told to do didn't work and i got an Vesa Drive Error, and Safe mode doesn't work and then i was told that

"it seems that your xorg.conf is not pointing to the right PCI Bay

go to the bios and try to find out in which bay is the card ,

for example mine is in PCI:3:0:0 instead of PCI:1:0:0"

i have no idea what that means so i asked how'd i'd do it and i got this response

"try to get a console

then as su edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for a line that says (in the Section "Device")

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

and comment it,then

#startx"

And im still pretty lost 0-o on what exactly im suppos to do, any help would be great,

Link to the thread i had over there is here.

Edited by Naming is hard

Can you log into a terminal? If you can post /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/xorg.0.log (may be diferent name). Also please post the output of

/sbin/lspci -v

I should have been clearer, xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are text files while lspci (list pci devices) is a command. You can open the text files for reading and writting with

sudo nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf

(Iam assuming the live cd has sudo installed). Lspci may be in /usr/sbin instead of /sbin.

Edited by naraku9333
Blah, i donno what im doing wrong but the file is empty nothing writen in it.

prolly typing something wrong, but i tried like 5-6times

Maybe that livecd doesn't use Xorg, what version of the livecd do you have? Can you post the output of

ls -al /etc/X11/

?

Is there someone specific that i look for or should i just post everything, cause theres alot there.

You can post the whole thing, although uploading it would be best. Also can you post the exact error you get when you run startx.

Edited by naraku9333

Error message

No matching devices sections for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:0) found

(WW) VESA: No matching devices section for instance (BusID) PCI:1:10:0) found

(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error: no screen found

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reseved by peer) on xserver ":0.0"

request (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining after 0

what does the output of this command show; type it into a terminal

find /etc | grep -i xorg

I am not sure, but don't always think an xorg.conf file is required. I think xorg may be able to start x without one. If the above command does not show one listed, you will have to create one.

Edited by shanenin

Find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /etc: this may be a bug in your file system driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier result may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/20xorg-common_process-args

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30xorg-common_xresourses

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50xorg-common_determine-startup

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90xorg-common_ssh-agent

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xorg-common_start

/etc/X11/config/cf/xorg.cf

/etc/X11/config/cf/xorg.tmpl

/etc/X11/config/cf/xorgsite.def

/etc/X11/config/cf/xorgversion.def

/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg

/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst

/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml

find: /etc/ssl/private: permission denied

I was just messing around with it, and i got it to boot to the GUI, i just looked in my settings in windows and found my video card in PCI:1:10:0 and loaded up the liveCD waited for it to error, got to a termenial and typed...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and changed the PCI from PCI:0:1:0

to PCI:1:10:0, and then startx, um...well obivously this isn't gonna work with the LiveCD causing doing that everytime is stupid, but once i get my new HDD (Hopfuly tomm) and install Unbuntu once i change it, it should stay changed yeah?

Thanks for the help ^^ and as im (Hopfully) going to be diving into Linux soon ill prolly annoy you again soon >_<