you physically set it as a slave. There is a jumper next to the IDE connector to set it. Usually if you have both on CS and have the IDE cable plugged in right, the computer will figure it out on it's own but it's best to set you main as master and your 2nd as slave.

normally

the end connection on the ide ribbon

is the master and the middle connecter

is the slave

your hdd the will have the jumper settings on the

front face.

im not sure if there are any exceptions to this rule

then it is important to go to the bios

and get you sys to recognise all your drives

once youve done that

go to

administrative tools

compt management

disk mnagement

see if the sys has recogenise the drives

to see this

on the tool bar

look for

view. top.disk list

and it will show all the drives on your sys

that has been recognised

cd's and hdd's

marty

Why must I partion? Also which HDD should I partion. I have one wiht all my data and xp installed the other has been formated already. That needs to be partioned??

You don't have to partition, and it wouldn't make sense since those drives are so small.

Why must I partion? Also which HDD should I partion. I have one wiht all my data and xp installed the other has been formated already. That needs to be partioned??

The drive with XP on it has already been partitioned (that's a required step for putting XP on it). You would need to partition the new drive for any operating system to make use of it (assuming it really is a completely new drive).

You don't have to partition, and it wouldn't make sense since those drives are so small.

Drive size has absolutely nothing to do with the need to partition.

Aluvus said I would need to partion.

Will the HDD be faster as a slave or if I get an external HDD case hooking it via USB?

The drive will be much faster as a slave, and will probably stay cooler and therefore last longer, as well.

The drive with XP on it has already been partitioned (that's a required step for putting XP on it). You would need to partition the new drive for any operating system to make use of it (assuming it really is a completely new drive).

You need to FORMAT the hard drive to make the hard drive read on XP, but not PARTITION it. Partition means to break it up into logical divisons. For example, my 250GB drive has 20GB, 50GB, 50GB, and 100GB partitions.

In short, just hook the drive up, run disk management and format as NTFS (or FAT32 if you have a need to read the data outside of XP). Don't bother breaking the disk up into partitions

You partition it into one partition.

Edited by Aluvus