Recently my computer's display became fuzzy with weird colors and dark bars across the screen... immediately i thought the monitor was dead, so i went out and purchased a new monitor. I received the monitor today, hooked it up, and found the same display problems as my old monitor...

i was wondering if this could be a graphics card problem, or any other type of problem? Any information or help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

mike

Recently my computer's display became fuzzy with weird colors and dark bars across the screen... immediately i thought the monitor was dead, so i went out and purchased a new monitor. I received the monitor today, hooked it up, and found the same display problems as my old monitor...

i was wondering if this could be a graphics card problem, or any other type of problem? Any information or help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

mike

What is the name of your video graphic card? Also have you right clicked a bare spot on the desktop left click properties, then settings tab..What is the resolution set at? Advanced monitor tab what does it show for monitor refresh rate? What version of Windows? Is this onboard video or a separate AGP or PCI video card?

Is this a name brand PC & if so what make & model number, please..

it definately could be a graphic card problem. The easiest wasy to test the hardware would be to run linux from a cd. If linux runs well without the distortions, then you can safely assume windows might be corrupted; a reinstall of windows may fix it. If when running linux you have the same problem, you definately have a hardware issue. My first thought would be the graphic card/chipset.

sorry for not being more descriptive.. i was sorta in a rush.

anyway, here are the answers:

NVIDA Geforece2 MX

I tried mulitple resolutions: normally i keep it at 600 x 800, and i tried it at 1024 x 1280 because thats what the monitor instructions said

Monitor refresh rate is 75hertz

I have Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8100

As for the linux, i gave it a try with Knoppix, and the display was the same...

thanks,

mike

I experienced a similar problem on an old video card years ago. An nVidia Vanta Riva TNT2 to be exact. I had shadows showing up on a bunch of things plus every time you updated the drivers it would cause extreme problems. I called gateway about it and they sent me a GeForce 2 MX200 and that fixed. Could just be an old wore out card. Get yourself an MX4000 or something if you're not going to be playing games.

If you lived in my town I'd ru an old PCI GeForce 4 MX420 to you that I don't want no more.

Edited by Honda_Boy

it sounds as tho your resulation is wrong

xp needs 600+800

unless you want

smaller text

that is were you may be having trouble

ive just tried 1024 x 1280

on mine and i get a distorted screen

you may have to increase your refresh rate

mine is set at 85htrz

i had the same trouble with a refresh rate lower

than 85 hertz

are you a gamer

many gamers try a different

refresh rate and a lower resolution

good luck

marty

It seems like most of you think I need a new graphics card, so I'll pick up a decent one online (I'm not a gamer).

Marty - I can't set my refresh rate to anything higher than 75hertz. Also, my resolution was 600x800 since I bought the computer, which includes the time when I noticed the poor display.

Thanks for all the help,

Mike