I have three PCs each cam with a product code for Windows XP home edition and the hidden partition to restore to factory. I usually keep a updated image of each PC to restore should it all go bad, this is so I do not have to un-install all the factory crap that came with it should the crash.

Here is my question (I have heard yes and not but have never tried it to know since the op has never presented itself):

I have a old copy of XP home ed. upgrade w/ it's own Product code that I no longer have installed on any PC. I have slipstreamed the Service packs into it, can I use it (should I decided to chuck it all and reformat)

on all three PCs using thier own perspective product codes (the ones printed on thier labels) and it work?

I would like to retain the spare copy should I build another PC.

Thanks I'll be researching until I hear your comments

Preston

yeah you have to have an OEM CD. I've pulled that trick 2 times but I have an OEM disc. I've done it with my bedroom Compaq and my Manager/Friend's HP. Both were SP1 Codes but I called Microsoft both times and not a problem. Fresh clean install of SP2 fully activated on both computers. I've even done a repair install on my main system with mobo, cpu, video card swap. I had to re- enter the product code and was given 3 days to activate. Oddly enough it activated through the internet without calling MS. wierd.

The proprietary computers use an OEM key which will not work with the upgrade disk. There is a trick in changing a file so that you can burn a slipstreamed disk and have it identify itself as OEM or Retail. I will have to search for the information. I have yet to try it. It is supposed to make it easier when creating disks for different versions of XP for restore/recovery purposes when you only have one version. The only difference between a WinXP Home Upgrade, OEM and Retail is an identifying code that is contained within the file. The same goes for Pro.

Found it.

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
The proprietary computers use an OEM key which will not work with the upgrade disk. There is a trick in changing a file so that you can burn a slipstreamed disk and have it identify itself as OEM or Retail. I will have to search for the information. I have yet to try it. It is supposed to make it easier when creating disks for different versions of XP for restore/recovery purposes when you only have one version. The only difference between a WinXP Home Upgrade, OEM and Retail is an identifying code that is contained within the file. The same goes for Pro.

Found it.

Thanks! and to all commented. I would have never found that info. I wish google did boolean/stupid/duh:

it all goes back to trash in trash out. If you do not know how to word your search you will never find it. I bookmarked that page I will try it this week.

Preston

Found it.

Thanks! and to all commented. I would have never found that info. I wish google did boolean/stupid/duh:

it all goes back to trash in trash out. If you do not know how to word your search you will never find it. I bookmarked that page I will try it this week.

Preston

I happened across that tidbit a long time ago when I was searching for ways to *cough* defeat XP activation.

Found it.

Preston

I happened across that tidbit a long time ago when I was searching for ways to *cough* defeat XP activation.

worked great! thanks I now have a working OEM upgrade.

that is interesting. Just for fun I took a look at my oem xp home disc. it has a number like this:

Pid=76477OEM

according to the link it should look like this, I wonder why they are different

Pid=82503OEM

Edited by shanenin
that is interesting. Just for fun I took a look at my oem xp home disc. it has a number like this:

Pid=76477OEM

according to the link it should look like this, I wonder why they are different

Pid=82503OEM

Pid=82503OEM is just the syntax (lack of a better word) the OEM part is the key

mine reads

Pid=55285OEM

just curious, did you have any trouble activating your product?

no. It is still a legit install with a legit Prod. code so activation was not a problem.

I did not try it on my systen since they are running great but I used the same disk on a family members computer using the OEM Prod Code on the case label and it worked fine.

Preston

• 3 months later...

I used this technique today to reload a windows 2000 machine. I had a machine that came with an oem 2000 product key. I only had an msdn windows 2000 disc(this is the same as retail). I modded the settup.ini and I installed with no problem.

GOOD LORD!!

Can we consider this an "Illegal Topic" because of TT75's link....????

Hmmm...ban TT...don't ban TT....THAT is the question...

Heheh.

Nah, that's a very useful bit of info there. How many times have we fielded questions about using a retail disk to fix an OEM key install or vice-versa eh.

I had run across that page some time ago too but I had forgotten about it till I read this, so I think it's time to add it as a file on my system for future use.

Thx Don!

Hi Preston!! Write me you idiot!! ;)