Yahoo Messenger Question

Hey guys!! it's just lil 'ole me again. I'm already using my Yahoo Messenger through GAIM but what I'd like to do is have it set up the way it was when I was using 'er Windows. When I go to Yahoo installation screen they give me these instructions:

Debian Linux

1. Save the file to your machine.

2. Log in as root and type: dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb to install the application.

3. Run /usr/bin/ymessenger from X Window to launch the application.

And since I'm generally new to Linux, I was under the impression that you don't log in as "Root" so could you please tell me how I'd go about installing this please? Also with my MSN Messenger, I'd like to change my picture but not sure how because once I switched over to LInux, it's not as easy and I'd like to have my MSN Messenger to look the same as it was in Windows also. I'd appreciate the help.

Hey guys!! it's just lil 'ole me again. I'm already using my Yahoo Messenger through GAIM but what I'd like to do is have it set up the way it was when I was using 'er Windows. When I go to Yahoo installation screen they give me these instructions:

Debian Linux

2. Log in as root and type: dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb to install the application.

And since I'm generally new to Linux, I was under the impression that you don't log in as "Root" so could you please tell me how I'd go about installing this please? Also with my MSN Messenger, I'd like to change my picture but not sure how because once I switched over to LInux, it's not as easy and I'd like to have my MSN Messenger to look the same as it was in Windows also. I'd appreciate the help.

it is ok to log in as root to do needed stuff. It is just not a good idea to do everything with root privleges. As to your instructions, just do step 2 as root. You still log into your system as a regular user, but use the 'su' command to change to root.

Debian Linux

On systems without a root password, you generaly have an account that can get root priveledge as needed using sudo. To do this "sudo command". In your case "sudo dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb". Then give your accoutn password. Sudo will remember and let you issue more sudo commands for a short time afterwards without needing your password.

If you are using Ubuntu 6.06 there is a program called GDebi which is a nice graphical installer for deb packages. You should just need to double click on a deb file and it will display information about it, click the install button and it will use a graphical version of sudo to ask for your password and gain root priveledges.

Finaly, The official Yahoo client for GNU/Linux is ancient and absolutely pathetic. Stick to Gaim or another third party client. If you want you can try out the Gaim 2.0 beta. http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/19/31-gaim-...r-ubuntu-dapper Keep in mind that it is a beta, but it is really nice.