Trouble / In Stereo! - Updated!

The continuing saga of my stereo. Recap; subwoofer (which I built years ago) died (foam surround disintegrated), disconnected from system, satellite's (which I also built years ago) blew their fuses for the woofers (finally got some -- yeah, I procrastinate).

So here I am, good fuses ... but still no bass!?!

How is that possible? Before I tear the system apart, it's unlikely there's separate fuses on the back of the receiver for bass, isn't it? (The receiver I built back then fried a long time ago, I have a Pioneer surround receiver which has been in place so long I don't remember what it looks like back there.) I do know there's just speaker outs which go directly to the left/right speakers (along with speaker outs for the surrounds and center channel), so there's no external filtering taking place (now that the sub's offline). The center channel doesn't appear to be missing any bass.

So ... Internal electronics in the satellites maybe? (Which I am so rusty with I will not be able to fix. :()

Edited by JDoors
  • 1 month later...

The receiver's not new enough to have a separate subwoofer amp or output, so there's no crossover in the amp. Just front left/right, center, and rear left/right. Each of those is full frequency (well, the rears are limited to whatever Dolby Pro-Logic surround uses).

The subwoofer that WAS in the system took the left/right out from the receiver and ran it through a crossover, passing the left/right channels to their respective speakers, and passing the sub frequencies to the sub.

The only crossovers in the system now are in the front left/right satellites and that's only to distribute frequencies to the individual tweeters/mids and woofers. The front left/right speaker outputs from the receiver go directly to the front left/right satellites and ... should ... be full frequency.

If I had a second set of full frequency speakers to hook up I'd do so and see if they have bass -- if so then my home-made satellite crossovers must be fried. If they DON'T have bass, then it's the receiver ... and I'm REALLY screwed. :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Try mcmelectronics.com, they sell any thing you may want to build a subwoffer. From passive sub crossovers to raw subs. it would be best if you do a search for some free speaker design software on google first, I found some software a few years back however I no longer have it or the links sorry. But it shouldn't be too hard to find some. First figure out the volume of your old sub, and the port diameter and length. Now use the software to figure out the electrical and physical parameters of a sub that will fit your box, you will see numders for vas., qt. etc. Now scan mcms site to find a sub with specs that match these numbers has closely has possible. You can also buy foam surrond repair kits if the voicecoil of your old one is ok. the subs here are very reasonably priced.

Hey thanks! I've had poor luck finding the parts I need, partially due to the design I chose (extremely large, baffled, ported cabinet -- seems the only parts available are for much smaller ported or sealed cabinets). Unfortunately it seems the raw drivers will cost me more now than the entire component cost to build. :(

• 1 month later...

My life is just bizarre.

So, I haven't done anything about the missing bass. First, I'm getting pretty darn lazy, second I'm not sure what I could have done.

So I'm watching Peter Pan (2003 version). I'm used to a lack of deep bass by now. Peter's saying, "I do believe in fairies, I do, I do!" Everyone eventually chimes in, "I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!"

Suddenly there's a loud POP! And I have my bass back.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do. :blink:

My life is just bizarre.

So, I haven't done anything about the missing bass. First, I'm getting pretty darn lazy, second I'm not sure what I could have done.

So I'm watching Peter Pan (2003 version). I'm used to a lack of deep bass by now. Peter's saying, "I do believe in fairies, I do, I do!" Everyone eventually chimes in, "I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Congrats on getting your bass back Jdoors........

I could have killed my cable company though......

those fools wanted me to disconnect my cable box from the wall, because I reported a blotchy picture and signal - this in effect "resets" my digital cable box - they could have done this - Then when I plug back in, I loose the connection of the audio wires from the cable box (they were too short) So I had to ferret out the wire and disconnect the wires from receiver to untangle the mess - then I had to reconnect the wires to the OUT on the cable box and IN on the receiver.

They could have reset the box on the phone, but NOOOOOO - I had to almost kill my back, my knees and my legs to do it geeeez.......

Brian

... They could have reset the box on the phone, but NOOOOOO - I had to almost kill my back, my knees and my legs to do it geeeez.......

Brian

Grr. I cancelled my cable when they displayed incompetance. My picture was bad (interferance patterns). I had 'em out twice, they replaced the underground cable both times. The picture would look fine for a while, then go bad again. The third time the guy called the office and I overheard his side of the conversation, "There's an interferance pattern onscreen ... huh? ... You see it too?"

The picture AT THEIR OFFICE was bad! What hope did I have they would fix this if they sat there all day long looking at the same poor picture and did nothing about it?

I should check the Web for cable TV support groups -- bet there are quite a few out there. :)

My life is just bizarre.

me too, :D:D:D Now, clap your hands to make sure you keep your bass :D

Liz

My life is just bizarre.

me too, :D:D:D Now, clap your hands to make sure you keep your bass :D

Liz

Me Three - I hope that someday, I can get Peter Pan on DVD :)

Brian

... I hope that someday, I can get Peter Pan on DVD :)

Brian

OH. MY. GOD. You HAVE to get the 2003 production with Jeremy Sumpter as Pan (unless you're a Disney fanatic, I am not, at all). It's SO much better than anything I've seen before. It starts out a little Disney-ish as they tell the tale of Wendy's family, then it turns into ... Something REALLY special. They don't whitewash the darkness of the original tale. Hook is someone familiar to Wendy (though not directly recognized as such), which brings psychological meaning to the tale, Tinkerbell is NOT always sugar & spice, I don't know if I missed it in other productions but Pan is actually a tragic figure, and wow, that Jeremy Sumpter. How do they ALWAYS find someone perfect for the part in EVERY Peter Pan production? (I can see his face, lighting up with mischeif, as I write.)

I don't normally get excited about fairy tales (I don't own but two, maybe three), but this is one helluva production.