Getting Ready For The Rebirth Of My Pc.

Ok so I remeber JSKY talking about his build using his same hard drive and copy of windows. He said he did a repair install of WIndows so he wouldn't lose his programs. I wanna do the same thing cause I have over 100GB of crap on that hard drive and I sure ain't losin it.Now if I know newegg My parts should be here tommorrow. I wanna be prepared and ready to do this. I would like to know exactly how to perform this. This is possible when going form an nForce2 Ultra 400 based Gigabyte board and Athlon XP 3000+ to an nForce 4 SLI x16 based EVGA board and Athlon 64 3500+ right? I really don't want to reinstall all my games (A LOT, hours and hours of installtions). Thanks for any help on the matter. I want this to go as smoothly as possible. I don't want to lose any info.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed

You will boot to the XP CD.

Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

This is the option you want to enable to proceed to the Repair Install.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

For the Repair Install do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning!!

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

hmmm. have instructions for a fried motherboard? I can't follow those instructions becasue they are for a still running computer. I fried my bios or something. My brother and I thought we saw scorch marks somewhere but the thing is the computer doesn't boot.

if you have lots of important data you do not want ot lose, i would purchase a second harddrive. On this second harddrive install you os fresh. Then you can use your current harddrive as backup.

It doesn't matter if the present motherboard is fried. You do the repair after installling the new motherboard in the case. Read the whole article. Once you have done the repair install with the new motherboard in place you would then be booting into a vanilla install of XP with all your data intact. You would then need to install the new motherboard drivers, graphic drivers and etc. Plus you woulld need to reinstall your anti-virus and XP updates.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

alright. OK reinstalling AV and updates is no prob. I can't access my files form another computer on that hard drive as My Documents is set to private any way. I tried to access some of them with my Compaq but it didn't let me.

I have never tried it, but I wonder if linux is able to read files that have been set to private?

edit added later//

is making private an encrytion option only for xp pro. If that is the case, I am sure linux can't read it

edit added later//

I found the option in xp home. I will now boot that computer with linux, I will let you know if they are able to be copied(while set as private).

edit added later//

linux has no problem with the permissions set to private. So if you have important data you need, you can easily use any live linux disk to get your data.

Edited by shanenin

Alright. ROCK ON! Stuff should be here tmmorrow if newegg does its usual thing. When I ordered my LCD, I ordered wednesday night and got it before noon Friday. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Just for fun I booted my XP machine with knoppix. If you choose under services "start samba server", it does everything automatically. It will ask you to set a password for user "knoppix". It uses workgroup by default. From any other windows computer on your network you can log onto your knoppix samba server using the username "knoppix" and the passwork that you set. You can then copy all of your data off the machine.

I think I am going to start to use this method for copying data off of my clients windows comuters I currently service. It works really nice.

Oh man it's 2:30 and still no parts. I gotta go to work at 4:00. Man I at least wanna see the crap. :( COME ON UPS. It's comin outta memphis. It can't take that long. (I live in middle TN. bout a 4 hour drive from Memphis).

Oh man it's 2:30 and still no parts. I gotta go to work at 4:00. Man I at least wanna see the crap. :( COME ON UPS. It's comin outta memphis. It can't take that long. (I live in middle TN. bout a 4 hour drive from Memphis).
Edited by shanenin

oh I know I kinda expect it to be here when I get home from work today.

* well it's 3:20 and I'm home from work and still no parts :( . HURRY UP UPS.

Edited by Honda_Boy

well my mom just told me that in her email it said it was in Nashville and will be here tommorrow. Maybe the stuff didn't come out of Memphis. If I am to pay tax for this stuff I sure as hell want it comin out of Memphis and takin 2 days to get here not 4.