I never thought I would want to download music from one of the sources like napster, yahoo music, msn, etc., but have decided that now it is surely safe.

I am wondering which some of you would suggest with the following in mind:

1. I won't be buying that much because I still enjoy buying real albums, so I just want to be able to get songs a la carte here and there...from time to time. In other words, I don't want a source that I have to have a subscription for a certain amount of songs per month..etc..

2. I do not have an ipod, but do have an iriver H10. I don't want to download straight to the iriver...just want to download to the computer and put it on the iriver when I'm ready via WMP.

I'll sure appreciate anyone's input. Thanks, nancy

AllofMp3.com is my, by far, favorite. Cheaper than any other store. You can choose from several formats and bit rates. They charge $0.02 per MB. Songs usually cost around $0.10.

They have a large collection to choose from. All though, every so often Ill come across a song or album they don't have.

Edited by Bubba Bob
AllofMp3.com is my, by far, favorite. Cheaper than any other store. You can choose from several formats and bit rates. They charge $0.02 per MB. Songs usually cost around $0.10.

They have a large collection to choose from. All though, every so often Ill come across a song or album they don't have.

hey bubba. isn't that site in russia? seems the politicians are trying to close that place down.

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1212

Edited by bearskin

Hi Nancy,

I was going to suggest walmart, find it HERE, but BubbuBobs suggestion is much cheaper. If you aren't concerned that AllofMp3.com is based in Russia (I checked them out, thought $0.02 per MB was great price) then go for it.

Walmart's songs are $0.88 per song with no subscription needed. If you don't trust paying over the internet, you can go to a walmart store and buy a numbered card there. When you go to the site, just enter the number and you're on your way!

Hope this helps :D ,

Dave

PS. I checked Yahoo music for you, looks like a $5.00 fee per month. I don't know if they also charge per song though, sorry.

Edited by laxman63

I'm with Laxman, Nancy, I've heard Walmart's prices can't be beat, except for the Russian site, but I'd be chicken to try that (just MY luck, I'd get busted by the RIAA! :D ). My Son's girlfriend has an Napster account and she is VERY happy with that.

Liz

Just be sure where ever you go, the filetype is compatible with your player. For example, your player doesnt support AAC files (the protected format sold on iTunes) so don't use iTunes. Yours does support MP3, WMA and ASF music files.

I wouldn't go with AllofMp3 I know the price is great but many agencies around the world are trying to shut them down. And just in case you down want a bunch of questionable business people floating around russia with you credit card numbers.

And although itunes uses AAC with DRM that doesn't mean AAC files are protected, it is just another music file format. Just like WMA and WMA with DRM.

BT Friends,

Last night when I noticed late that there were no replies, I was afraid I had shown

disrespect to the board by asking such a frivolous question.

This morning, I am so happy to see that not only was it okay, but such great answers

[including your wonderful hello, Bearskin].

As always, I continue life as a scardycat, so I won't be traveling to Russia for music,

but I definitely appreciate the information. [i could always pass that on to friends of

mine who are opposite from me!]

I did some looking around on CNET reviews too, and I believe that msn also does not

require a subscription. The W-M price is best, of course, but I remember reading

something about their music not playing on all players, and a friend confirmed that she

couldn't play their music on her Archos device.

[they may have changed this by now, however]

At least I know that MSN music would be happy to use the WMP 10,

which my iriver also uses.

Thanks so much again. I really appreciate knowing you're out there. nancy

I have used MusicMatch Jukebox for many years now. I don't buy a lot of music anymore but I subscribe to their on-demand service it is like having the worlds largest music collection at my finger tips. when I find a song I want to take with me I buy it then. Most of the time I just Que up a bunch and listen at home. This is not for everyone I get special pricing (reward of long history with them) I only pay $17.95 per quarter I think it is $7.95 per month otherwise. But buying music from them is easy and the format is not proprietary.

Preston

Edited by rhema7

There was a big "hullabaloo" last year over AllofMp3.com. It was expected that Russia would shut it down. However, if I remember, they couldn;t find a foothole to stand on so they dropped the case.

Also, they offer Paypal as a payment option. (which is what I choose, because like isteve said, I don;t really want the Russians runnin around with my info)

EDIT:

Thanks for the BearSkin. Looks like Russian will try again, this time with a little pressure from, well, everyone else.

Blim, how is Walmart's selection? Do they add the new stuff fairly quick?

Edited by Bubba Bob

Nancy, there is NO such thing as a frivolous question, or believe me, I'd be in big trouble!

Bubbabob, I don't know about Walmart's updating, etc--I've never downloaded music, just gleaned that info from listening to the kids and their friends :blush: But considering they range from 18-23 years old, if they like Wally's, it must be pretty good.

Liz

well I know some people.."cough cough" that find a good radio station and use audacity to record...NOT ME NOW!!!

Ill, second that with a COUGH. Winamp with Stream Ripper. Automaticly seperates the songs and names them.

Thanks Blim. It can't be too bad then. Ill try it out since I need a backup for when Allofmp3 doesnt have what I need.

FYI about AllOfMP3:

Article from the NY Times on June 1st

Also, as Bubba Bob mentioned, they take/took paypal as a payment method, however I believe they no longer do. They have it listed but I believe there is a problem with it. That article by the NY Times should clear up a lot of questions in this thread about AllOfMP3.

B

I have used MusicMatch Jukebox for many years now. I don't buy a lot of music anymore but I subscribe to their on-demand service it is like having the worlds largest music collection at my finger tips. when I find a song I want to take with me I buy it then. Most of the time I just Que up a bunch and listen at home. This is not for everyone I get special pricing (reward of long history with them) I only pay $17.95 per quarter I think it is $7.95 per month otherwise. But buying music from them is easy and the format is not proprietary.

Preston

Like Rhema7 I use MusicMatch Jukebox. But unlike Rhema, I do not subscribe to their On-Demand service. I can still download songs for 99 cents. I do not pay any periodic fees.

Edited by mikeg