Aol Cancellation Question

Okay, calling up AOL tomorrow and I need to know if anybody has actually DONE THIS THEMSELVES! I really don't trust blogs and such - so only if you or somebody you know firsthand has cancelled AOL and been able to keep their e-mail address.

Worst case scenario i'll just have the service lowered to the bring your own network and not sign on with AOL.

So, save me a headache - I know the phone salesman will lie to me!

IF you call the correct number it goes easy as 1-2-3. IF you're absolutely certain you wish to cancel just keep telling them so when they offer you "special deals" (which they're required to do, so just keep reminding them you're certain you wish to cancel).

You'll have til the end of your current subscription to keep using AOL, BUT ... If you unintentionally continue to use their service after the cut-off date they'll reinstate your account, figuring you actually mean to continue with them (they may just prevent you from signing on now, that was one way they got the reputation for being difficult to cancel, people would keep using their service instead of quitting).

AOL's e-mail is proprietary to their service so you'll have to use your new service's e-mail (or something free like Google or Hotmail). Many services make it easy to transfer your address book to another service (some kind of "wizard" or other utility).

Edited by JDoors