Favorite Music/artist

Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, and a general interest in other forms of rock and Metal.

Progressive: Pagan's Mind, Poets of the Fall, Queensrÿche, Rush, Dream Theater.

General: AC/DC, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, Boston, Europe, Foreigner, Living Colour, lostprophets, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Aero Smith, The Who, Winger, Story of the Year, pretty much any major rock of the late 60's through the 90's and just a little of modern stuff. Most of the bands I listed were on my Winamp list thus they were the first that came to mind. I like a lot more.

Wow, what a loaded question. I usually dont have an answer when people ask me my favorite band, for a couple reasons:

1. I like some many bands, and of those, I don't really favor one over the other
  2. I phase in and out in what I listen to. Maybe Led Zeppelin for a week, next week I'm on Pink Floyd.

But in answer to the first question.. My favorite type of music is Classic Rock. I find so much more musical value and content/meaning in classic rock, compared to today's music. Don't get me wrong, I do like bands of today, but anyone can play power-chords and yell. :mellow:

I see you like The Who. I'm a big fan of them. Townshend is a great rythmic guitarist, and IMO Entwistle is the best bassist of all time. Moon was great too.

I don't like the 80's that much. I'm not sure why, but they never clicked for me.

I also don't like "Classic Pop" i.e. Oldies Stations. They are all just so repetitive. But give me an oldies rock station, and I'm happy. :D

are we talking showmanship or pure vocal talent?

the greatest voice to date is connie francis.

then you have the REAL king of rock and roll...buddy holley

not to mention jim reeves, gene watson, and tanya tucker.

the above mention people didn't need the bells, whistles, smoke, and mirrors to show their stuff.

if I remember righ elvis only knew 3 simple chords on the guitar. he was a dud.

My tastes are so varied you pose an impossible question.

First music I actually listened to: The Beatles. I hated them (but then, I was a widdle-bitty kid when they came out). "I wanna hold your hand! I wanna hold your hand! I wanna hold your hand!" God, I thought they were morons or something.

As a teen I listened mostly to psychedelic and what's now Classic Rock (and older); Janis Joplin, early Black Sabbath, Todd Rundgren, early Stones, Carole King, Alice Cooper, The Moody Blues (quite a variety there already). Throw in some Donovan, David Bowie, The Allman Brothers, Styx (the early years; The Serpent is Rising, Styx II, etc.), Emerson, Lake & Palmer were a favorite. I appreciated the Beatles foray into psychedelia, but due to my previous distaste for them I never bought any of their stuff.

Young adult: Rock & Roll baby!; Cheap Trick, Journey, Boston, The Cars & Blondie (new wave!), Zappa, etc.

Later: Lots more Blues (though I always listened to it, having grown up in Chicago I always heard Blues wafting out of bars & taverns), The Talking Heads were a revelation to me (how could this "weird" music be so incredible?), Fleetwood Mac.

Now? God, EVERYTHING IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER; All the previous artists, performance artist Laurie Anderson, and the biggest change, Techno and all its permutations. I think I've gone techno, even after bashing a roommate for listening to dance music (which is somewhat similar) years ago, because it's the only music that sounds "new" to me any more (I do credit that roommate for encouraging me to buy some country music, not the twangy stuff though).

EVERY new band SOUNDS LIKE someone else. Techno and all its flavors sounds new, TO ME. The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Wink, etc. (yeah, some are years old, but they're new to me) plus many others. There was a short-lived techno station here and I went nuts, buying practically everything they played, it all sounded so awesome and fresh.

I can't think of any new artist (other than techno artists) that deserves the same loyalty and respect (and blind purchases of new albums) that I have for the previously mentioned artists (and others too numerous to list).

Edited by JDoors

I forgot to mention though me being a progressive and metal listener.......................I LOVE BLUEGRASS!!! I hate what is called country though (just another form of Pop). I particularly hate the forced southern accent in the singing. Usually in bluegrass they just sing with no accent the way most people who sing in English do. The Norweigans that Pagan's Mind are sing with no accent what so ever and ditto with the Finns that Poets of the Fall are. I do like a little techno too. I also like some orchestral stuff like the music from the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Edited by Honda_Boy

It's probably easier to list what I don't like- rap, country, r&b, pop, jazz etc.

I love classical, classic rock, but not the beatles, celtic, british folk, blues, hard rock, some heavy metal, new wave

Favorite group right now - Blackmore's Night http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

I like Pagan's Mind (Prog Metal) because it is melodic metal not trying to use shock factor or loads of loud,fast and obnoxious noise along with screaming to sound cool. They also sing about different things usally dealing with celestial subjects. Lemme give you album names. Infinity Divine, Celestial Entrance, and Enigmatic: Calling. I love Rush's thought inspiring songs too. They stimulate the mind if you ask me. Queensryche's 80's stuff was just good ole metal with progressive song structures, and cool orchestral pieces in the background. I guess one thing I love is complex, powerful, melodic stuff. I also like more toned down things too like Queensryche's later stuff. I love a some of the music from the first Need for Speed: Underground.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Don't likes; Rap (with a few rare exceptions), Country (with a few rare exceptions), Jazz (with a few rare exceptions).

I like many songs that have rap IN them, many rap-ish songs have fantastic music and when there's actual singing, it's gorgeous. Gangsta's Paradise is a classic (in spite of my usual distaste of any media that glorifies criminals).

I wound up with an album that had duets between R&B and Country artists, whoa! Reba McIntire can SING baby! A few other country artists really surprised me. So the next CD I bought was Reba and ... TWANG! YEE-HAW! Clint Black was another one that amazed me on that duet album, the man sang the hell out of Chain, Chain, Chain. But forget it man, I didn't buy any of the other artists even though they can sing the hell out of a non-country song, I'm not taking the risk that they're gonna sound like parodies of country singers.

So for country I wound up with Willie Nelson and ... Patsy Cline's greatest hits ... and ... Nope, that's it (a lot of Willie though). Oh wait! Johnny Cash has ALWAYS been a fav of mine (that's another artist I remember from when I was a kid, I often got Ring of Fire and other hits from that time stuck in my head -- Seeing how that song came into being in the recent movie was extremely interesting).

As for Jazz I can take "soft" jazz as background music, and I have a Christmas album that has one Jazz number on it that rocks, but otherwise IT'S NOISE to me (every song sounds like it's composed of an endless series of random notes -- That's no more "music" than spoken-word poems, aka "rap," is music).

My favorite music is probably what most consider alternative rock, but I can listen to anything from Eric Clapton to Ludacris.

My favorite artist for the past decade has been Dave Matthews Band, mostly because of the live shows. However, if I'm listening to studio CD's, Red Hot Chili Peppers have been putting out much better stuff lately.

I simply despise listening to the radio anymore. Nothing but teenage crap on anymore. Does that mean I'm getting old?

There's a local radio station that has always appealed to sophisticated and adult tastes: WXRT 93.1.

Just this last Sunday morning I was driving home from work and they were playing The Talking Heads' Making Flippy Floppy. I can't even imagine another station playing such a relatively obscure song, and they do this all the time.

The got bought out by a conglomerate a while ago and lost their magic for a while, but I've come back and they're as good as they ever were. At least that's one victory against vanilla-radio.

They're on the web but I can't vouch for their online playlist (my connection & computer conspire against listening to streaming content while doing anything else at the same time).

oh, wait, no, nevermind, it was WFRE i think..................

i dont know the number for the station so i cant tell from that........

Edited by jamaicaman