We bought a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4021 for our daughter three days ago. It's been working fine until today when, out of the blue, the images on the monitor starting racing across the screen. It was as if it was on fast forward; I've never seen a computer do that before. She was on the internet (wireless), using only the battery (no adapter). So we tried it with the adapter and it wouldn't stop. Rebooted and it was OK. Tried watching a DVD later (on adapter) and it started again. We'll take it back tomorrow but I'm curious if anyone has any idea what might be happening. It's really bizarre.

Hi Bree!

I've read of videos/DVDs going the speed of a kid on marshmallows, and being fixed by updating video drivers. For some odd reason, sometimes brand new computers are shipped with old drivers. Go figure. I suppose you could always give that a whirl before taking it back?

Liz

motherboard chipset, video chipset, display, EVERYTHING. be sure to do a complete Windows update too. And to get a better idea of what drivers to download straight from chipset manufacturers, use CPU-Z. It'll give you all you're CPU and mobo info. Right click the desktop click properties. Then clcik settings and there it should tell you your video chipset.

Wayddaminute, Hondaboy...CPU-Z? :blink: What's that? Can she get driver updates from the manufacturer's website, or is CPU-Z better? (Forgive me, Bree for letting me butt in, I've never heard of CPU-Z, and this old dummy is always trying to learn about this unfamiliar tech stuff :) )

Liz

Edited by blim
Wayddaminute, Hondaboy...CPU-Z? :blink: What's that? Can she get driver updates from the manufacturer's website, or is CPU-Z better? (Forgive me, Bree for letting me butt in, I've never heard of CPU-Z, and this old dummy is always trying to learn about this unfamiliar tech stuff :) )

Liz

Edited by DarkestDream

Just so ya know: Computers you buy today were assembled a while ago, and the software they have at the factory was received a while before that, so that's why you sometimes get older drivers.

If the system is state-of-the-art the original drivers can almost be called experimental, they'll discover reasons to update the drives once the system is "out in the wild" (meaning: People have bought and are using them and are discovering the flaws in the original drivers).

Thanks, everyone. We'll give it a shot today and see what happens. My daughter used it most of (late) last night and very early this morning and said it was fine. So...if we update everything and it still freaks out, then we'll take it back while it's still under warranty.