I Swapped Cpus Now But I Have A Question.

Alright with the death of my main system I swapped a lot of the parts into my Compaq. Well I dropped the CPU in too. Problem is the Computer does not know what it is. The chipset is a VIA KM266 which supports a 266MHz FSB. The computer came with an Athlon XP 2600+. I think it operated at around 2.0GHz. Well I swapped my Athlon XP 3000+ 400MHz FSB version into it. Well like I said the computer cant tell what it is. I installed CPU-Z and all it says that it is an Athlon with a Barton core and it says it's only operating at 1.4GHz. At 400MHz FSB in the other computer it operated at 2.1GHz. does this mean my 3000 is going to be performing slower in this computer than the 2600? And how can I get the computer to recognize it?

Edited by Honda_Boy

I definately think your athlon xp 2600 will outperform your underclocked athlon xp 3000.

Just for fun, since you already have the 3000 installed, try and encode something like a dvd to divx, but note how long it takes. Then after you reinstall the 2600 encode the same movie. I bet the 2600 encodes the movie at least 25% faster.

As to getting your computer to "see it". That all depends on the motherboard. It may be able to be set to a higher speed(FSB), but I doubt it. If you are lucky, thier might be a setting in the bios to change your FSB speed to 200/400. I have also had mobos that had a jumber setting the chaged the FSB.

Edited by shanenin

I found a jumper but I bet it just slows it from 266 to 200. I'll try to find a way to run the FSB up. Also I have copies of PC mark that can show the performance differences.

well the board also supports 266. It's another computer at my grandmothers house. It has an Athlon XP 2000+ in it now but would the 3000+ be faster being under clocked to 333.