Amplifier Cooling Project

Okay, here's the dealio. I've got a pretty good Amplifier in my car, a Kenwood KAC-9102D and my car's AC doesn't work (a new air compressor would cost more than what my car is worth), so I think cooling the AMP over the summer might become a problem (thankfully I bought the $15 no questions asked warrenty, I got the amp for $150 w/ shipping via eBay)

I just purchased 4 of these fans from eBay and I'm planning on building a cooling rig.

Right now there's already a switch set up in my dash that powers some white LED's in the subwoofer box, so I will pull power off of that. That plan is to air mount (float on a frame) 4 fans over the metal heatsink piece that goes over the middle of the fan. The rig will be constructed of plexi and mount to the subwoofer enclosure.

It wil be 2 - 1/4" inch strips (one on each side of the fans to screw down to) that will bend at 90 Degree angles over the corner of the amp and then to the box.

I just lost my job at the computer shop, the boss is eventually closing the place, but I'm working this week for a separate function. I will stew over the plans throughout the week (possibly computer illustrate them) and post back most likely this weekend. Let me know what you think!

well colling your amp doesn't sound like a bad idea but everyone I know has their amp in the trunk and no way is the AC getting too it. None complain about heat. Though it ain't a bad idea. Sucks that you lost your job. I was gunnin hard for the position at my local shop but the guy hired someone else. I still work at my sucky BBQ joint job.

well colling your amp doesn't sound like a bad idea but everyone I know has their amp in the trunk and no way is the AC getting too it. None complain about heat. Though it ain't a bad idea. Sucks that you lost your job. I was gunnin hard for the position at my local shop but the guy hired someone else. I still work at my sucky BBQ joint job.

Every now and then when I push it I can smell somewhat of a burning smell (nothing too horrible :). I was contemplating putting out a local ad to fix computers, but I'm so busy over the summer with my temp job as a camp counselour, football practice, upcoming summer school, then a busy school schedule come August. I think I might get a job waiting once football is over so that I can be a waiter in college (since they 99% of the time require experience)

Back to the project, I'm looking forward to those fans coming in so I can get the thing started. I realized today that the bottom half of the amp (it's mounted vertically, or "hot dog" style back in elementary school) and the bottom part is pretty flush with the trunk space. Therefore, it will screw in to the box at the top, and just hang (it should be sturdy if I do the bends right with my heat gun) over the amp