I have a computer here that will not boot. I start it up and everything hums like normal but no video goes to the monitor. And there also is no boot beep.

The video card is in all the way.

Sometimes i start it up and it poots up fine, gets to post code 7F (BIOS: Phoenix)

Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode.

Please re-setting CPU frequency in the CMOS setup

So i can press F1 to continue and boot into windows and it works fine.

Or i can press Del and go into bios setup.

Edited by fubz

You need to reset cmos. There is a jumper on your motherboard near the battery. its on pin 1 and 2. move it to pin 2 and 3 and turn on the computer. Then put the jumper back to its original posistion and reboot.

(Knowing you I think you might have known that already.)

Edited by Sir_Siddy

Why would it work sometimes?

Is there an easier way to find out what is faulty besides taking everything ut and trying them in other computers?

Also, everything "turns on"

All the fans (even on video card), HD's, optical drives, CPU, i can hear them all do there thing.

Well, last night i was up untill 3am, i took apart the whole computer cleaned and reassembled everything. After that was all done it worked! So today i brought it over back to my friends house, hooked up up there.... And it didnt turn on, seems i forgot to plug it into the wall =P

But then it froze on windows, so i restarted, again it happend. So i made sure wires were in secure, clearned CMOS and it worked.

Then i went to put the case back together and plugged in the fans it stopped working.

Unplugged fans, it worked.

Somereason i plugged fans back in and it worked.

Then tried to install wireless network adapter. Installed the drivers, turned off computer, plugged in network card, started computer just like i was suppose to.

Network adapter didn't work at all, thats all i can really explain, windows didn't even know it exsisted.

So then i tried another PCI slot, computer stopped booting again. So ya.... that is when i stopped and came home. Another day..... I have no idea what is wrong.

I was thinking it was the PSU or motherboard, like you guys mentioned. One thing, anyone know of a place that will let you borrow a power supply to test it on your machine, and then buy it if thats what is wrong. I know most places dont take back opened computer stuff anymore =(

I was thinking it was the PSU or motherboard, like you guys mentioned. One thing, anyone know of a place that will let you borrow a power supply to test it on your machine, and then buy it if thats what is wrong. I know most places dont take back opened computer stuff anymore =(
Edited by TheTerrorist_75