Well I was monkeying with the face Wizard on it to change the opening splash screen just to see if I could get it to work. Well once I did but didn't like what I had put on there. well months later I decide to try iy again. Well it asks me to restart for the changes to take effect. :o OH NO it won't boot. I tried clearing the bios every way I could and no luck. Also there are no beeps coming from the system speaker. I tried trying just one stick of ram in the main slot trying both. NO IT DON'T WORK. I tried trying a VGA CRT monitor, NO!!!!!!!!!!!! It won't boot. Is my BIOS fried? It sure seems like it. I've checked everything possible that could prevent it from booting. NOW the speaker may be broken, I don't know. I haven't done anything to make it beep in ages. At one point I figured it may be the video card but I don't hear the windows log on sound and pushin the power doesn't make it go through the shutdown process so it's not even making it to windows. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! My pride and joy DEAD!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!. Am I going to have to geta new motheboard? The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L. Please help, I love this computer. Actually perfect chance to beg my parents to let me get started on a new PC but I really want to fix it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm going to start taking parts out bitr by bit to test them in my Compaq. I'll p;ost any new info as it comes up. By the way I'm working 11-8 on Saturday so I'll be away from the computer for awhile.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Since you were messing around with the splash screen and it immediatly led to the problem. I'd say it's most definitly a result of your problem. You mentioned that you cleared the BIOS? Do you mean the CMOS (which you can clear by moving the jumper or by flipping the battery to short the contacts)? If that doesn't work, you can seach on your MOBO's website for a BIOS flashing tool to put on a floppy disk. If your splash screen changes interfered with normal BIOS activities, you might be able to change the BIOS (I believe ASUS has a CPR backup thing that could be comprable to Gigabyte)

Edited by xxkbxx

also what I mean by it not booting, I mean the monitor doesn't even pick up a signal. I think either the Something on the mobo (probably the bios) or the CPU is fried. I doubt it's the CPU cause I fixed the overheating issue a long time ago. If I had a spare mobo to use I'd use it. I'll have to hit up the local store monday, they are the only peope left that still carry nForce 2 Ultra 400 boards. I've tried doing the jumper thing, nothing happened. I tried removing the battery (which fixed the old Gateway when it did the same thing) nothing. Oh well, I think it's time to replace the motherboard, CPU, Video Card, and PSU. I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me buy an nForce4 SLI x16 board, an Athlon 64 3500+, a GeForce 7600GT, and a Forton 450W PSU. I'll reuse everthing else.

I'll try and get this one back on line first, cause I think I'd rather wait a while so they'll buy me a better computer for college, yeah for college. Right. My Compaq could easily handle all my college work for awhile, but they said they would buy me a new one for college. They spent $2000 on my bro's Gateway and $1500 or so for his iMac.

weell I've torn down the Sidewinder. I've tried everything I can thnk of to get it to work. I've moved the memory, video card, DVD+/-RW, and PSU to the Compaq. And yes I crammed a Full size PSU into a Micro ATX Case. other than a slight little piece of metal blocking the plug-in on the PSU so I just bent it a little and voila. All the screw holes lined up. Well, I'm gonna have to beg for new parts. I'll just ge t a mobo, CPU, video card, and PSU and reuse everthing else. I may buy a case.

oh I know. I plan buyin an evga nForce4 SLI x16 Mobo despite the fact some think it's a Jetway. I don't think it is since their is no evidence on Jetway's website that they even produce an SLI x16 board. The only SLI boards they make are the nForce4 SLI (which evga's version is actually a rebranded Jetway) and the nForce570 SLI for the AM2. I'll also get an Athlon 64 3500+, an EVGA e-GeForce 7600GT and a Forton Source 450W PSU. After tax and shipping (I live in TN one of the 3 places they charge tax) it'll be about $520.

well I just got back from the computer store. It's gonna cost nearly $100 after tax to replace my Gigabyte GA-7N400-L with an MSI K7N2 Neo2. So uh yeah..... no. I'd rather spend 500 to essentially build a new system than to spend 100 to fix the outdated piece of junk I have now.